PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tuning?

Jay
03-21-2008, 10:00 PM
just curious if anyone on here has installed intake/exhaust ect. packages on an Automatic 3

see i sit in traffic alot, and if i have to drive stick in the early a.m and in traffic...

well you know how it can be, so ive decided on auto tranny. but is it still worth modding up the engine for an automatic car?

(speaking about the fun to drive factor)

RallyPlaya
03-21-2008, 11:29 PM
I Have a 07 mazda 3 with a Mazda Speed 3 OEM Exhaust a straight Swap from a speed on my automatic 3 and love it....I Also have a Fujita F5 CAI which adds to the fun. I Fully recommend adding a exhaust/intake combo.. allows your engine to breathe and the car sounds beautiful... the stock sound of a Mazda 3 IMO is non existent/... with those Add ins i payed 540$ which includes a third party installing it... Im Really happy with it .... Some advice if you wanna to chk out an auto peformance modded car come to the meets theres quite a few of us.. most of the TM3 members seem to be stick but this is my first car and i drive in busy areas and im really happy... sign yourself up to a meet and chk it out in person

mogul_pro
03-22-2008, 09:13 AM
but is it still worth modding up the engine for an automatic car?

Lets face it... you got an automatic because its easier to sit in through grid lock not because its fun to drive. You won't experience the some improvments as a 5 speed but if it is "worth it" or not is always in the eye of the owner (like the guy that posted above me who put mods on his auto....).
My personal opinion is no, but its your car if you want to add something to it.. giv'er!

Jay
03-22-2008, 11:54 AM
well in anycase a new exhaust would still be practical, regardless of the minute performance increase the more aggressive exhaust note is enough to justify the purchase.

mogul_pro
03-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Its personal, you can justify a purchase in any way you wish.

If you spend enough time on this forum (if your new to mod'n cars) sooner or later the 'mod bug' bites you! lol

Noisy Crow
03-22-2008, 02:45 PM
well in anycase a new exhaust would still be practical, regardless of the minute performance increase the more aggressive exhaust note is enough to justify the purchase.

Some people obviously have a different definition of practical! :chuckle

(FWIW, I bought a brand new '08 Mazda3.... if I was being purely practical I would have bought a used Kia or something like that! )

I did go with the stick, and occasionally get stuck in stop-and-go traffic. The 2.3 engine has enough torque that it idles along in the 1st or 2nd nicely, without too much on-and-off the clutch.

p-o-g-i
03-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Its personal, you can justify a purchase in any way you wish.

If you spend enough time on this forum (if your new to mod'n cars) sooner or later the 'mod bug' bites you! lol

I agree 100%. I'm on my 9th car and I've driven both stick and auto. I end up modding the crap out of all of them. It's personal and only you can justify the mods you are doing. you're doing it for yourself and no one else.

My 3GT is auto and I've already installed the CAI, and will be installing the Tein springs and Vibrant cat back this Wednesday. Is it worth it??? Is it practical??? Probably not.... but it's a hobby that I've been a part of for 15 years. I enjoy it and that's all that matters.

(of course don't go overboard and break the bank on it)

kaval
03-24-2008, 02:37 PM
No real issue in modding an auto car, as long as you're not going for big power. I don't like the sound of automatic cars with exhausts. You sit there listening and wait for that shift point and it never comes. it's like "baaaa....aaaaaa....aaaaa"

wow that was an epic failure.

Jay
03-24-2008, 11:27 PM
No real issue in modding an auto car, as long as you're not going for big power. I don't like the sound of automatic cars with exhausts. You sit there listening and wait for that shift point and it never comes. it's like "baaaa....aaaaaa....aaaaa"

wow that was an epic failure.

really? is it that noticeable, can anyone else speak to this.. cuz it seems like it could definately be annoying.

otherwise might just need to floor it all the time...

x_o_k_x
03-24-2008, 11:30 PM
I own auto M3 GT, pretty much my first car, so i decided to get auto. Now Im thinking of converting into Speed3 sedan lol. Anything I should know or tips perhaps?

mogul_pro
03-25-2008, 09:04 AM
really? is it that noticeable, can anyone else speak to this.. cuz it seems like it could definately be annoying.

otherwise might just need to floor it all the time...

Ya alot of auto cars with exausts sound like that... its kinda goofy sounding in my (honest) opinion, but it all boils downto what you want to do with your own car. Listen to a few people with an auto tranny and an exaust, you will see what he is talking about right away.

kaval
03-25-2008, 02:05 PM
best video I could find...stupid driver and all

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DnmbhwVkV9A

I hear this all the time in Brampton. I should start driving with earplugs, lol.

Nova 3 GT
03-25-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't know about you guys I find this one very nice. It's automatic 350Z with CAI + cat-back Nismo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tcEsCEPR9Hw

By the way, I have an auto Mz3 Sport with a SRI and I'm putting a cat-back this summer (if everything goes to plan!:))

3GFX
03-25-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm on a slushbox, and I still think the modifications are justified.

Unoriginalusername
03-25-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm on a slushbox ....

and they let you be a moderator :chuckle

3GFX
03-25-2008, 09:32 PM
I can still sling gears, thow me into a manual and I'll get'r'done

Jay
03-26-2008, 12:01 AM
appreciate the videos gives me a pretty good understanding although its important to note:

the accord vid has a v6 a generally smother, perhaps a more monotonous sounding engine. where as 4-bangers in general rev higher, more often.

moms 98 civic : high revving sounds like its going fast (but oh god its not)
dads 08 Acura TL: low reving seems effortless

*comparing general driving conditions. but put the hammer down and hell yea the v6 roars louder.

kaval
03-26-2008, 03:34 AM
Good point and I forgot to mention that. Considering the V6 motor will put out a more deep smooth tone, 4 bangers will be just the opposite.

mogul_pro
03-26-2008, 09:23 AM
I can still sling gears, thow me into a manual and I'll get'r'done

lol.. i have driven a mazda3 with an automatic in "sport mode"... talk about a delay and a half... u nearly have to shift 500rpm lower than u actually want it to shift and not so smooth.. but to each there own.

3GFX
03-26-2008, 10:02 AM
where as 4-bangers in general rev higher, more often.

True, but the Mazda3 engine isn't a redline baby. It hapily spins there, but you won't need to go there. Its got great power in the midrange and peaks way below redline. It never sounds harsh and has quite a nice tone because its a large four banger (2.3L).

lol.. i have driven a mazda3 with an automatic in "sport mode"... talk about a delay and a half...

Its true, but I meant I can actually drive manual no problem. But back to the topic, the autobox in the Mazda3 is sluggish compared to a manual (obviously), but is a great automanual gearbox compared to many others.

x_o_k_x
03-26-2008, 11:13 AM
I smoked this guy with tiptronic. One second I was at the red light, and next thing i know I was going 100+kmh haha lol. You can accelerate with tiptronic much quicker then auto

mogul_pro
03-26-2008, 11:52 AM
lol... what does the auto tranny shift @ while under full acceleration? I cant see how its any faster if they shift at the same shift points.. the gears change just as 'fast'...

mogul_pro
03-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Keep in mind the mazda3 is not a racing vehicle platform... and most of the mods people do (manual or auto tranny) are jsut to make there cars more "fun" to drive.. and thats there it ends... so really doesnt make THAT much of a differance even though its there and somewhat distinctive... if i had an auto i would do SOME mods.. pretty much everything I would on my manual minus the exaust (i dont have one on my manual but will get a borla in the summer).

Unoriginalusername
03-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Keep in mind the mazda3 is not a racing vehicle platform...

Not according to mazda

On any given weekend, there are more Mazdas on the road-race tracks of America than any other brand of vehicle. At the track, you’ll see MX-5 Miata, RX-8, MAZDA3, MAZDA6, RX-7 and other vintage Mazda models competing, because every Mazda has the Soul of a Sports Car. In fact, the fastest growing road-racing class in the U.S. is the SCCA’s Spec Miata class, with nearly 1,500 first- and second-generation Miatas tearing up America’s racetracks, making it the most-raced production car in the world.

mogul_pro
03-26-2008, 02:14 PM
lol... If they think a mazda3 is a sports car they are mistaken...

Unoriginalusername
03-26-2008, 02:37 PM
lol... If they think a mazda3 is a sports car they are mistaken...

Oh i forgot we're not talking about the speed3 :chuckle
http://www.motortrend.com/features/112_0706_americas_best_handling_car/

mogul_pro
03-26-2008, 03:17 PM
nope just the regular 2.0 and 2.3 N/a 3s...

Fuman
03-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Not according to mazda

On any given weekend, there are more Mazdas on the road-race tracks of America than any other brand of vehicle. At the track, you’ll see MX-5 Miata, RX-8, MAZDA3, MAZDA6, RX-7 and other vintage Mazda models competing, because every Mazda has the Soul of a Sports Car. In fact, the fastest growing road-racing class in the U.S. is the SCCA’s Spec Miata class, with nearly 1,500 first- and second-generation Miatas tearing up America’s racetracks, making it the most-raced production car in the world.

and if go to the track, ur warranty is pretty much void.
good marketing tactics.

mogul_pro
03-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Good luck PROVING you were at the track... lol

Fuman
03-26-2008, 03:40 PM
true that! hahaha

Unoriginalusername
03-26-2008, 06:00 PM

thats why the track section at the meeting of the mazdas has people writting down your vin number and taking pics of your car :chuckle