PDA

View Full Version : TWM Shifter Bushing review

Fobio
03-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Hey guys...while I was installing my navigation into the japanparts oem replacement navi holder, I also decided to replace the stock rubber shifter bushings with the TWM Performance metal bushings.

My observation:

1. As much as the navi install has cleaned up my dash/interior, the subtle differences of the TWM bushings outweighs any benfits of the cleaner dash...guess I'm always one who's for form follows function...

2. Whereas the original shifter felty "notchy", esp in cold weather, the shifter in now "NOTCHED"! No vague engagement, no excessive resistance from an unknown force...it's not snick-snick...but it's a huge improvement to shifting feel.

3. I said, improvement. this is not a short shift substittute.

4. Whereas with the rubber bushing (and this will become apparent upon removal of the shifter boot and assembly...the "notchy" feel came from 1st motion (notch feeling) to shift compresses the front bushings AND stretches the rear bushing, 2nd motion (notch feeling) is the full compression of the front bushhing and the actual metal of the mid-section stopping the shifter assembly, 3rd motion is the engagement of the gear and 4th and final motion is the stop of the shift. So 4 "notches" creates the "notchy" feel.

5. With the metal bushing, all you feel is "notch" then stop. (Really, I wished someone could've explained this to me, but I 'm glad I ended purchasing anyway, since it was around $35 shipped)

I'd highly recommend this mod for EVERYONE. It's a subtle yet highly effective and worthwhile mod...one that only you can appreciate!

Skarbro
03-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Nice. I haven't heard me anyone doing this without the ss. I have them but never with the stock shifter.

Unoriginalusername
03-24-2008, 05:22 PM
post pics of the navi setup you're talking about, cta pat has those bushings if anyone is looking. got mine from him in the fall, can't wait to install when the car is back on the road

Fobio
03-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Took a "drive" this past wknd...

http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v192/167/79/756965530/n756965530_2591294_4960.jpg

Unoriginalusername
03-25-2008, 07:46 AM
where did you get that unit? how pricey?

Fobio
03-26-2008, 02:09 PM
where did you get that unit? how pricey?

Hey UU...chk the other thread...I've got lotsa info in there and others have more ideas for the dash box too!

Skarbro Re: TWM Shifter Bushing review

Nice. I haven't heard me anyone doing this without the ss. I have them but never with the stock shifter.

I was being cheap :chuckle ... and waiting for Cobb unit if I ever get one, but wanted some instant improvement...well worth it...looking forward to installing the SU mount...

flyinb22
03-28-2008, 08:42 PM
I have the bushings with the stock shifter....maybe one day I will get a SS but for now, I am quite happy with the results of the bushings and the feeling of the shifts.