PDA

View Full Version : Why is this leaking?

jaM3ican
04-08-2008, 02:16 PM
I am not sure if this is the right area that i should be posting this..... (moderators pls feel free to reloacte if needed)

I was changing from winters to summers today and i noticed this wet area that has oil around it.

Does anyone know what this is and if this is normal?

Sorry it is a bad picture but i think it gets the message across.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3123/2399193466_9a18d21c3c_b.jpg

Skarbro
04-08-2008, 02:32 PM
That looks like your CV joint I believe. It's packed with grease and it shouldn't leak. If it does, then you can damage the joint. Definitely take it in. I'm assuming you're still under warranty.

Gizzmo_jr
04-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Looks like the drive axle. The CV Joint boot as probably split at the collar and the internal grease is coming out. New boot is all you need, and fresh grease.

Not sure how mazda does it, I can see whats in the repair bible tonight.

edit-damn it ! i was typing while you posted

Wild Weasel
04-08-2008, 02:44 PM
All I've got to add is... get out your manual and look up the close-up/macro mode on your digicam. :chuckle

jaM3ican
04-08-2008, 03:33 PM
All I've got to add is... get out your manual and look up the close-up/macro mode on your digicam. :chuckle

used a crappy kodak (not close up) that i keep in car just in case i get into accident i would not normally allow this pic to go but i figured you peeps would get the point.

That looks like your CV joint I believe. It's packed with grease and it shouldn't leak. If it does, then you can damage the joint. Definitely take it in. I'm assuming you're still under warranty.

I better be, i only have 37K on a 2006

ravin13
04-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Thats the inboard CV joint, on the driver's side, if I'm not mistaken. It looks like the clamp is loose/worn, so its not sealing correctly. Get that thing fixed as dust can get in and damage the bearings inside

jaM3ican
04-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Well i went to Northwood Mazda the last week to have this checked out. The guys in the service dept were great they had my car on the hoist in a very short time to look at it. They told me that they would have to order parts for it and it would be covered under warranty. They even went as far as to warn me from any large puddles and avoid the pot holes as much as possible. (which i already do)

I just went in today to have the work done. In and out within 45 min. parts in within 2 business days.

Have to say that the guys in this service dept have treated me better than any garage that i have ever been to.

For those of you out there that are looking for good service, get to know your service dept staff, build a relationship with them. Don't go in there half cocked thinking that they are going to bleed you cuz you know nothing about cars. They are in the service industry to help people.

jaM3ican
04-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Does not look like i am having much luck with the drivers side.

Went to go check out the driver's side afte the work was done. looked great, but then i noticed this...

This is the drivers side... looks like it's leaking

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2245/2437424400_20547be7c4_b.jpg

This is the passenger side which is fine, not leaking

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2171/2437424548_4fb4acae40_b.jpg

Some of you may want to take a stab at the technician and say why he didn't notice this, but in his defence i know that they were short staffed the day i had the work done, So it's not the fault of the technician or service dept. They were so busy that it was just overlooked.