PDA

View Full Version : Removing Old Wax

nicker
04-09-2008, 09:29 PM
I was wondering what everyone uses to remove the old was before they put a fresh coat on?

I see some use dish soap. NOT a big fan of that Idea at all.

Thanks

S.F.W.
04-09-2008, 09:44 PM
clay bar

zedtech
04-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I use Dawn Liquid Dishwash soap once or twice a year but that's only because I use Zaino which is a sealant wax. If you're using regular wax then a claybar will be sufficient enough to strip old wax off the paint.

My first major car wash after the winter season usually includes: Dawn wash, clay bar then wax (Zaino). Same goes for the last major car wash in the fall before the snow touches down.

More: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=dawn+to+remove+wax&btnG=Search&meta=

kaval
04-09-2008, 11:25 PM
If you're not comfortable with using a liquid dishwashing soap wash, wash the car normally, clay bar it, and wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol or Prepsol. This will prep the surface for your LSP (last step product).

x_o_k_x
04-09-2008, 11:29 PM
i heard using dish soap on your car is not good at all.. Why do you need to remove old wax, cant you just wax it like that?

kaval
04-09-2008, 11:51 PM
i heard using dish soap on your car is not good at all.. Why do you need to remove old wax, cant you just wax it like that?

You're right, it is not good for everyday washing of cars. Since wax is a lipid, and dishwashing soap is designed to cut through grease, also a lipid, the wax will get stripped away, along with any protective oils on the paint.

It's really up to the user to wash the car with dishwashing liquid if they wish. Personally I never do this, but I know some detailers do this if they are going to do a full makeover of the paint work. If its for maintenance washes, I wouldn't use it. For the OP's purpose, it is ok, but I'd recommend the IPA or Prepsol instead.

zedtech
04-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Washing w/ dish soap on a regular basis and/or leaving the paint bare afterwards isn't good at all. Using it once in a while to strip all the wax/sealants off your paint in order to add a fresh coat of wax is fine since you are protecting the paint surface after stripping it of all contaminants. That's why you want to remove the old wax underneath after a wile, so that you can get rid of all the embedded contaminants.

Edit: What kaval said :P

Flagrum_3
04-10-2008, 04:47 AM
Dish washing soap Is Perfectly Safe to use on any vehicle, aslong as it it used properly and only when the purpose is to strip old wax from the vehicle.A mild dish soap such as Dawn is better and you do not use it at full strength.Best to mix it with a formulated car soap...a cap wise each.Wash the vehicle twice to make sure you've covered all areas properly, then clay.Clay will not remove old layers of wax in the proper fashion and could cause damage if not done with much experience, so use clay sparingly, lightly and only for paint contamination removal.Than wax with your preferred wax or sealant.

my 2 cents,

_3

Seliina
04-10-2008, 08:28 AM
If you're not comfortable with using a liquid dishwashing soap wash, wash the car normally, clay bar it, and wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol or Prepsol. This will prep the surface for your LSP (last step product).

Does alcohol not affect the paint finish? I'm thinking that because I know it affects nail polish...:)

ZeroChalk
04-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I really like Klass All-In-One to remove contaminents and old wax. Then I start building the layers and layers.

kaval
04-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Does alcohol not affect the paint finish? I'm thinking that because I know it affects nail polish...:)

On a healthy paint surface, this will not affect the finish at all. After I polish paint, I always wipe it down with IPA or Prepsol to remove any oils that may be hiding defects. This way I know for sure the paint is perfect. It also helps in the LSP's adhering process since it is being applied to a CLEAN surface.

Videcak
04-15-2008, 10:47 AM
I used Dawn dish soap (the original blue stuff, not the antibacterial yellow stuff) when I want to start over. It is the most gentle dish soap to wash your car with, but never regularly. Once a year is fine and won't hurt anything. Just be sure to wax the car after you use it as there will be no wax protection left.