PDA

View Full Version : Just installed TWM SS and bushings

ramboh
04-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I just finished installing the TWM short shifter and bushings for my MS3 and I love it! I'm using the stock boot and it just feels great now. I never really liked the feel of the stock shifter. I'd post pics but there are lots already that show what the SS looks like.

For anyone considering doing this themselves, it's really easy. The only hard part is getting the shifter back into the assembly as you need to hold back a fairly strong spring. Having an assistant would definitely help at this point.

Thanks to Patrique at CTA for the shifter.

My next project for today is to change the transmission oil to Redline MT-90. I think that will improve the feel even more.

Unoriginalusername
04-11-2008, 08:16 AM
cool, i just had the bushings installed last weekend and they're not bad. might look at a ss in the future

MSMitch
04-11-2008, 09:20 AM
I also just installed the STS and Bushings in my Speed3 - love it - much better feel, throws are shorter, but much more precise. Highly recommend this modification to anyone!:)

ramboh
04-11-2008, 02:37 PM
I just changed out my tranny oil to redline MT-90 and after all the hype I've read about using this oil, I haven't noticed that big of a change in the smoothness of the gears. Oh well, maybe with time I'll notice!

brecker
04-11-2008, 02:39 PM
I have bushings as do most Forum folk - they do help. I have my money burning a hole for that COBB piece :hawt

ramboh
04-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Just to update. I drove up to Orangeville from Toronto this weekend for a retreat and I do notice a smoother feel in the transmission now that it's changed to Redline MT90.

I highly recommend changing the oil to everyone!

Fobio
04-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Just wanted to ask...does this shifter shorten the LENGTH of the shifter or shorten the ENGAGEMENT of the shift?

edit: guess it does both...I don't see the benefit of a shorter shift stalk...esp without the benfit of a higher chassis tunnel for the rear-wheel prop shaft...I 'm hoping the Cobb piece will allow me to leave as is or even lengthen the stalk length while shortening the throws...

brecker
04-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Just wanted to ask...does this shifter shorten the LENGTH of the shifter or shorten the ENGAGEMENT of the shift?

edit: guess it does both...I don't see the benefit of a shorter shift stalk...esp without the benfit of a higher chassis tunnel for the rear-wheel prop shaft...I 'm hoping the Cobb piece will allow me to leave as is or even lengthen the stalk length while shortening the throws...

The COBB piece will adjust 1 setting higher, stock, + three lower