PDA

View Full Version : TWM Shifter Installed

Byaaahhh
04-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Installed my TWM SS last night and must say it is freakin awesome. Install was going good until that frickin spring came along. I got stuck on that spring for about 30 minutes. If it wasn't for the spring the install wouldve took the recommended time. It was so worth it though.

Has anybody noticed that its a bit more stiffer when shifting between gears. It seems to take a bit more force than before or am i just losing it?

Xerox
04-15-2008, 04:44 PM
I think a weighted shift knob will help with that.
Did you transfer over as much lubrication from the old shifter?
I think it will get better over time...either that or you'll just get used to it.

Noisy Crow
04-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Has anybody noticed that its a bit more stiffer when shifting between gears. It seems to take a bit more force than before or am i just losing it?

Nope, you are not losing it.

With the short shifter you are moving the knob through a shorter arc, which means less leverage, which means more effort required on your part.

Mine is going in tonight or tomorrow :chuckle

baymoe
04-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Just had it installed an hour ago, and yes, you're not losing it. It takes a bit more effort to put into gear.

Mafty
04-15-2008, 05:20 PM
weird i was just looking at one of these on ebay. dont think i can justify 200 right now though. maybe once my tax return comes ill invest in this.

Gizzmo_jr
04-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I can tell you with a weighted shift knob (mines 440 grams), that its smooth between gears, where as it is still 'notchy' going into and out of a gear.

But your first impressions don't deceive you. You get the bushing kit too?

Byaaahhh
04-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Guess I'll just get use to it. It'll help work out the guns anyways. PS Anyone wanna buy tickets to the gun show?

Noisy Crow
04-16-2008, 02:34 AM
I installed my TWM short shifter last night. I'm not all that sure I like it. Didn't drive very far with it yet... only a bit around the neighbourhood. With the stock shifter the knob fell nicely under my hand, but somehow the stick is a bit hard to reach now. Did it take you guys a while to get used to it? Any suggestions to fixing the problem? Would I be better off going with a different brand short shifter?

Thanks.....

Skarbro
04-16-2008, 05:13 AM
I've had the TWM SS for over a year now. It's the best mod besides my sway bar.

If you are having trouble reaching it, then you need to adjust your seat. ;)

btown-mazda
04-18-2008, 03:04 PM
I've had the TWM SS for over a year now. It's the best mod besides my sway bar.

If you are having trouble reaching it, then you need to adjust your seat. ;)

+1, this truly is one of my av mods. I have my knob all the way down and no problems at all. I would suggest maybe adjusting the height of the knob to what suits you best.

Noisy Crow
04-18-2008, 04:33 PM
+1, this truly is one of my av mods. I have my knob all the way down and no problems at all. I would suggest maybe adjusting the height of the knob to what suits you best.

OEM knob... height isn't adjustable. I'm thinking about putting on one that's a bit taller.... one that might work I've already one that I posted in Terry's thread on shifter knobs...

btown-mazda
04-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Of course you'll feel it pull harder on an OEM knob as it's not weighted enough and you need more force to move it in gear. A weighted knob definitely helps in shifting as it takes less force from you to move into gear and so shifting would feel much smoother.

doughboyr6
04-19-2008, 12:18 PM
the stiffness will go away. I've had mine installed now for just about a year and its slick as a butt....to be honest, i prefer how it felt before, right when i installed it. I like to have to put a little effort into the shift and it really slotted into each cog nicely.

chills96
05-16-2008, 01:04 PM
There's actually a group buy over at the mazda3forums right now. $112 shipped to Canada!

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=108218.0

doughboyr6
05-17-2008, 04:30 PM
good deal, but its not the same product....TWM is a sponsor and a long standing company....