PDA

View Full Version : Cobb Discussions

Fobio
05-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Have you guys been following the bru-ha-ha going on M3F?

I don't want to delve into any of the personal stuff, but I think there are valid points from all sides. Have any of you been following? any takes/opinions? pls keep it civil... =)

Garu
05-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Americans being Americans. :chuckle

Unoriginalusername
05-07-2008, 03:25 PM
On a dynojet, WRX/EVO stage 2 gains for the AP are about 25whp. SCC validated that in an article not to long ago so that is what my expecation is

Fobio
05-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Personally, I consider the AP more as a tool to tune with rather than itself being "a mod" or "the mod", if that makes sense. So with the understanding that the base map will be conservative and that using the AP to enhance tunes down the road sounds about right.

For the longer term tho, I think an upgraded fuel pump may be called for if go much higher than the Stage 2 maps, but that is just my personal understanding.

Coolfactor
05-07-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm just not too excited about all that torque in the lower RPMs.. I guess it is a valid point considering the already "fragile" rods. I'm sure you all read like me about a few bent rods mishaps even on a stock engine so I consider that should be taken seriously.. I'd rather see more oomph on the top end. My opinion anyways..

CanadaGTO
05-07-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm not convinced about the "bent rod" stories we've been hearing.

Look at those who have actually done it, and what instigated it happening.... Usually due to doing something unwise.

Wild Weasel
05-07-2008, 03:58 PM
ECU tuners are tools, just like hammers. They can be very useful if you know what to do with them, but they can also cause a lot of damage if you don't.

I have no idea what the background is to this thread, but if people are blowing up their cars with improper tuning, you really can't blame the tool. Just because it lets to make certain changes, doesn't mean they're a good idea.

Now if there's some set program they offer with certain claims, and that's blowing up cars, then I suppose you've got an argument.

07Speedfreak
05-08-2008, 12:21 PM
This is the new thread. VERY specific informations.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=111123.0

brecker
05-08-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure what to think regarding those few folks who can't get through their thick skulls that this motor needs serious modds like a bigger turbo, manifold, and cams to even start worrying about that stupid throttle plate staying open. :)

COBB laid it out in black and white, yet people are still wondering why the AP did not extend the power to redline or give 80hp gains :bang

My hat goes off to COBB for all their fine, hard work they have done with the AP!

At first I was a little disappointed in the gains, but the gains are almost secondary with this device.