PDA

View Full Version : I want your opinion!!!

3GFX
05-12-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm doing some market research and I want you guys and gals to give me your honest opinions.

Over the next little while I'll be asking you your opinion.

YOU being the automotive ENTHUSIAST!!!

I want your opinion on what you like to see done for you, and what you want out of the automotive community. What kinds services do you looks for? What do you want? WHAT DO YOU DO?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
RESEARCH QUESTION #1

My first question is simple.

Think about the last time you washed your car, or think ahead to the next time. You're busy and you don't have time to wash the car on your own. So you think I'll take it down to the wash. But which wash? Coin op or gas station? Then again there's that detailer just a bit further who's got the quality stuff.

If you were on the verge of choosing the detailer over the other options, knowing that they had the quality stuff and your car would get done right...

How much would you pay for an exterior wash and tire shine?

Answer in the poll please! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

kaval
05-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Might want to change the poll type because right now 1 person could choose all the options. So far there have been 6 results by 5 voters.....

mleblond
05-12-2008, 08:50 PM
well touchless wash are like 10$ at sunoco and it never really dries your car after. unless you bring your own cloth. And when I wash my car it takes at least 1h. 20$ would sound more like the appropriate price IMO. That's what I would charge. 10$ is way too cheap and I would not expect the guy to clean my wheel wells for that price or make my tires shine...

sicsol
05-17-2008, 10:44 AM
+1

3GFX
05-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Keep the input coming please :)

Canadian GP
05-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Last year I took my car in for service and they washed it for me without asking me, the washboy jammed the brush under my spoiler and the head of it scratched the crap out of the paint. Dealership had to get it repainted.

I wouldn't let them wash my car even if they paid me.

dsichewski
05-17-2008, 09:56 PM
when i first went to the dealership here in kitchener they offered to wash my car, i agreed, it was quite dusty and when it came back you could tell it was a half arse job as it was still half covered with dirt which was now like a mud.......car looked better dirty then it did washed...Now I just say no thanks to the free wash...

if I have lots of time I will wash and wax my car myself in my driveway at home....When I don't have as much time but still have some I prefer to take it to the coin op car wash and pay $6 and get 20 min to do w/e I want to it.....Normally I pre rinse, then i pre soap it, then I blast the crap out of the soap brush to get all the stones and such out of it...then I hold the soap brush above my car by about 2" and let it squirt out tons of soap to cover the section i'm washing and then once there is the foam build up i brush it, once the whole car is soaped I use the high pressure rinse and rinse it well, then i use the wax, then i use the high pressure wash again and then i use the quick dry rinse. by this time the 20 min is up and I know the car is well cleaned.

If my car is filthy and I have no time at all then I will either go to a sunoco touchless car wash or to the same place that has the coin op wash and going through there wash, it isn't touchless but it does a really good job!

If I was to go to a detailer I would probably be getting more than just a wash and wheel shine so with that said I would think $20 would be the most I'd be willing to pay for a wash and tire shine.

kaval
05-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Dealership washes can be pretty scary to watch. When my parents bring their cars in for service, I print out 4 peices of paper that say "DO NOT WASH THIS VEHICLE" and tape them in the front, sides and back. I'd rather slave at cleaning it myself properly than having someone swirl the crap out of it. Not to say that ALL dealership washes are bad though. Luckily my mom's new vehicle had zero swirling whatsoever.

b
05-18-2008, 01:47 AM
I wouldn't take it to a dealer to wash. I actually ask them to NOT wash it every time I go. I would pay for Kaval to do it... I've heard really good things from people.

doughboyr6
05-18-2008, 09:40 AM
i think about 20 is right. THere's a place call 'high-class' detailing in oakville. Its $17 and they take your car thru those conveyor belt things and have 6 ppl working on your car at once. Clean inside/vacuum/windows....etc, then wash the exterior. All while you watch in a booth. Takes about 15 mins....

So taking out the interior from the equation, I'd say $20 is right for just the outside/tire shine for a quality job. I would expect the person to spend at least 30mins on the job.

***edit***
having just read Kavals price for just a hand wash....he's charging $35....that seems a bit much, but seeing how detailed he is and his past work...I am definately the type of person who will pay extra for quality within reason and his work seems worthwhile. And he spends 1 to 1.5 hrs..

Videcak
05-19-2008, 12:09 PM
My car will never see an automatic wash, touchless or not. Wash bay possibly someday, but really like to avoid them. Rather do it by hand at home. But in this case, I would take it to the detailer. I would pay $20, maybe even $30 if it is a very reputable detailer and I know they do good work with top notch products. I couldn't see myself spending more at a detailer for just a wash and tire shine. I just rather do things myself, which is why I would just use my foam gun and hose it off in a case like this.