PDA

View Full Version : suspension noise...please help!

trix241
05-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I just installed new springs onto my mazda3. The install went fairly clean. Took it for a drive to check everything out and noticed a small "clunking" noise when i turned quickly to the left or right. After do some research it seems it might be those little bearings at the top of the strut mount. Now when i was taking the strut and spring apart... that peice exploded and all the little bearings went on the ground and got covered in dirt... i tried to clean them off and put back together but i read its no good anymore and that peice needs to be replaced. Has this happened to anyone? Is this the reason for the noise?

Fezuki
05-19-2008, 11:52 AM
My springs are also making the same sound. I brought it to a shop so they could look at it, but they could not find anything visibly. If someone could chime in and point out what the issue could be that would be very helpful.

Videcak
05-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Check your swaybar endlinks for tightness. Those will cause a clunking for sure!

trix241
05-19-2008, 12:24 PM
just to add... it doesn't happen every time either... normal driving is fine.. no sounds... really only when i make quick, small sharp turns. Ill definitely check the sway bar links... although im sure i tightened the shit out of them.

trix241
05-20-2008, 11:11 PM
so after plenty of research on the fourms... i came to the conclusion that it was infact the bearings in the mount. Called Westowne Mazda and they had the part in stock. Its called the Upper Bushing. Cost me $23.61 inclcuding taxes... which i thought was pretty good from the dealer. Got home... started taking off the suspesion components ( yupp compressed the spring and everything)... and quickly and easily swapped bushings. Honestly... was the simplest part. Put everything back together. Took her out for a spin. No noise! It was music to my ears!

So my advice to those who hear a "clunking" sound when making sharp turns left or right. Its your bearings in the mount... get them replaced and your good to go!!