PDA

View Full Version : Performance/Track Tire Discussion

Fobio
05-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Currently, I'm running Falken Azenis RT-615, 235/40/18 on 8" wide RX8's. Here are my thoughts:

1. I consider the sidewalls to be quite stiff, in daily/street driving conditions, but soften up quite a bit when tracking. More on this.

2. It sits more squarely or less tapered at the top than most tires, and may be more prone to rubbing in lowered cars. I'm on Cobb springs, which is about 1" drop, stock shocks. YMMV

3. This tire grips great when COLD. I know in this discussion thread, COLD should mean a tire that is at street driving temps, rather than sitting overnight. We are in the Tracking/Handling section. When I first get out on the track, it always grips better than when I have put in 5 laps.

4. I particularly wanted to share this, as it was quite an adjustment for me when I got on the track and realized how important my tires were. Once I started pushing harder, and didn't brake enough, causing the outer wheel to scuff a bit and scrubbing off speed through the outer tire, I realized I had to work on my technique :blush. This I think in particular affected performance as I was:

a. inadvertently and unnecessarily heating my front tires
b. causing tire to operate at higher than needed temps
c. and decreased tire performance

5. This tire does heat up quite quickly, which is alright becuase it is actually quite consistent in performance at higher temps. What happens is that it gets a little softer and inevitably, so do the sidewalls. It never gets to the point of sloppy, but it does focus my thoughts more on tire choice and operating temps and conditions.

What are you guys running? Your thoughts?

I'm thinking about trying out the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec's, and might even go 225's to "add lightness"...

mleblond
05-22-2008, 01:58 PM
When I get my Team Toyo card I will have a discount on Toyo PROXES R888 (http://www.teamtoyo.ca/Tires/R888_EN.asp)

They are about 380$ for 17" and 500$ for 18" (per tire). hence the reason I dropped a size :)

If I could find used ones it would be even better :)

Right now running khumo's 215/50/17 and find like fobio said they don't grip as much when hot...

I would normally run 225/45ZR17 or 235/45ZR17 in R888