PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have Turbo replaced?

brecker
05-27-2008, 01:35 PM
For those that have had their turbo replaced due to bad seals, can you please list any mods at the time and also summarize your dealer experience?? :)

Cheers!

Pilzz
05-27-2008, 04:52 PM
I had mine replace back in october 07 due to the smoking / bad seals problem. I had the MS CAI & CBE installed at the time and i got heavy white/blue smoke coming from my car just after strtup before teh car got warm. Took the dealer 7 weeks to get me my car back as the turbos were on backorder.

Fobio
05-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Other than what dabears said on the other board (OEM turbo being a POS), are there certain things we do to the car that can cause this to happen?

Dave83
05-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know if the 08.5s have updated seals?

Pilzz
05-27-2008, 04:58 PM
it depends on what build date your car has. some of the 07's had bad turbo calaibrations from the manufacturer, causing the bearings in the turbo to be out of wack shreading the seals in the turbo. This caused coolant and oil to leak into the exhaust, and on start up the car would burn this off in the exhuast and hence the smoke.

One key thing to do it is if you just beat up on your car let it idle and cool down the turbo before turning the car off.

Pilzz
05-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know if the 08.5s have updated seals?

As far as i know the new cars later 07 had the new turbo's installed in the cars.

My turbo came out of and 08 car since it took so long for the replacement one to come in.

mleblond
05-27-2008, 05:01 PM
it depends on what build date your car has. some of the 07's had bad turbo calaibrations from the manufacturer, causing the bearings in the turbo to be out of wack shreading the seals in the turbo. This caused coolant and oil to leak into the exhaust, and on start up the car would burn this off in the exhuast and hence the smoke.

One key thing to do it is if you just beat up on your car let it idle and cool down the turbo before turning the car off.

You should always do this as per manual 30 sec or so minimum

zoomzoom33
05-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Just wondering, If I have installed the full TBE exhaust, and I get some smoke is this normal? I was told that it will be normal since I have deleted
on of the cats. But what is the extent of smoke that is considered normal?
I get this on start up and under quick exceleration. I know that if there is a crap load of smoke then I have a problem, but right now I have a light amount coming from the tip. Should I have this checked out.

Garu
05-27-2008, 06:36 PM
It seems to be different from smoking issue that some of us had.

It is normal your car will puff out cloud of smoke under heavy acceleration. The turbo seal issue is when your car is smoking during the idle.

Warm up the car, drive around for few minutes. Let the car sit idle for about 30 seconds, if your car has the seal issue, you will see it will start to puff out white smoke. And the smell, it's quite bad smell because you will smell burning oil.

Garu
05-27-2008, 06:37 PM
BTW, I had mine replaced around same time as Pilzz. I had to wait about 4 weeks to get my car back.
At the time, they are in transition of getting new turbo so it was on backorder for awhile.

brecker
05-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Great.. Thanks for the info..

Have the dealers been cool with a couple mods, or did you guys show up stock for the work?

Garu
05-29-2008, 10:40 PM
DP had to be removed.

Wild Weasel
07-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Looks like it's my turn. While waiting in line at the border yesterday, someone driving by told me there was a whole lot of smoke coming out the back. Sure enough, it's just puffing away at idle. Not a huge cloud or anything, but continuous white smoke.

How long does it take for them to fix this? Mazda doesn't provide loaners under warranty (like GM does) and I really can't be without a car for a couple days.

What have your experiences been?

Pilzz
07-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Looks like it's my turn. While waiting in line at the border yesterday, someone driving by told me there was a whole lot of smoke coming out the back. Sure enough, it's just puffing away at idle. Not a huge cloud or anything, but continuous white smoke.

How long does it take for them to fix this? Mazda doesn't provide loaners under warranty (like GM does) and I really can't be without a car for a couple days.

Damn sorry to hear man!!! Mine took 7 weeks to get my car back, good luck with that:flaming

Garu
07-13-2008, 09:56 PM
It depends on whether they have the turbo in stock or not.
When Pilz and I were replacing our turbos, it was on backorder because they were just getting new turbos.

Unoriginalusername
07-13-2008, 09:59 PM

was your car idling with the nose pointing downhill when the smoke happened?

Wild Weasel
07-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Damn sorry to hear man!!! Mine took 7 weeks to get my car back, good luck with that:flaming

Whoa! Seriously?? Did they have your car the whole time, or did you go back 7 weeks later to get it fixed?

I can't be without a car for 7 weeks! That's not cool at all!

And no... the car was on level ground. No hills. Is there something that causes smoke when pointing downhill??

Pilzz
07-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Whoa! Seriously?? Did they have your car the whole time, or did you go back 7 weeks later to get it fixed?

I can't be without a car for 7 weeks! That's not cool at all!

And no... the car was on level ground. No hills. Is there something that causes smoke when pointing downhill??

Nope they had my car for 7 weeks. After the first week of not having any car they gave me a rental. Long story short they messed up my oem DP and had to reorder a new one, got a turbo messed that up then had to wait for a second turbo to come in as turbos were all on back order since everyone was having turbo problems back then. I am not sure about how they are now as that was last year in Oct. Good luck wit that but I had it really bad:AH

Wild Weasel
07-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Damn! I guess I'll ask to ensure that they've got a turbo in stock before I even bring it in. I expect this should be a one day job! Where did you take yours?

brecker
07-14-2008, 08:22 AM

What mods do you have? Did you just recently change anything??

Unoriginalusername
07-14-2008, 08:34 AM

i've found when mine is really hot and then idles with the nose pointing down some is when i get smoke but it hasn't happened this year yet again

CanadaGTO
07-14-2008, 08:35 AM
What mods do you have? Did you just recently change anything??

Mods???? No one here has any mods. We're all internet racers, that's all.

Wild Weasel
07-14-2008, 09:05 AM
heh. In my case, that's pretty much true. :D I haven't touched anything under the hood of mine, so I certainly haven't caused it any undue stress.

Hell, with gas prices as they are, I've been driving it like an old man.

RX9
07-14-2008, 10:32 AM
i got my blue smoke last time when the tech over filled the oil by almost 1L+. i asked some other tech about this as well, and he told me the seal problem will give me white-buleish smoke not the blue.
YES as james said, when i got the smoke last time, i downhilled the car for a while on a parking lot. i still have no idea why is that.

brecker
07-14-2008, 10:52 AM
i got my blue smoke last time when the tech over filled the oil by almost 1L+. i asked some other tech about this as well, and he told me the seal problem will give me white-buleish smoke not the blue.
YES as james said, when i got the smoke last time, i downhilled the car for a while on a parking lot. i still have no idea why is that.

It means you need to give me your CP-E cat-back.

Unoriginalusername
07-14-2008, 11:00 AM

i might be interested in a trade for oem plus cash if you want the cpe cbe... but i added a hi flow reasonator to take away some of the drone at hwy speeds

kid_icarus
07-14-2008, 11:18 AM
i might be interested in a trade for oem plus cash if you want the cpe cbe... but i added a hi flow reasonator to take away some of the drone at hwy speeds

how much would you want in cash? lol
is the drone really bad? i find the oem to be nice and rarely noticeable.. i'm assuming the cbe makes a distinct change?

anyways i think my ms3 is one of the first few production ones
is it easily safe for me to assume that as long as no smoke is coming out... my turbo is fine???

i haven't changed downpipe or exhaust at all... everything is oem
only change is ms cai

RX9
07-14-2008, 12:25 PM

i am stock.:chuckle

how much would you want in cash? lol
is the drone really bad? i find the oem to be nice and rarely noticeable.. i'm assuming the cbe makes a distinct change?

anyways i think my ms3 is one of the first few production ones
is it easily safe for me to assume that as long as no smoke is coming out... my turbo is fine???

i haven't changed downpipe or exhaust at all... everything is oem
only change is ms cai

if you have ur stock DP and cat-back. since those 2 cats work very hard, you wont see any smoke even the turbo seal has mild leakage.

kid_icarus
07-14-2008, 01:08 PM

if you have ur stock DP and cat-back. since those 2 cats work very hard, you wont see any smoke even the turbo seal has mild leakage.

so there's no real way for me to tell right now as long as the dp and catback are stock eh...

any suggestions? i'd hate to be driving around with a leaky turbo and not even know it?

brecker
07-14-2008, 01:09 PM

I must comment that I was bitching about drone using the stock cat-back with the CP-E DP up until I replaced my SU motor mount with the CP-E one. Big difference in sound, I can't explain it. But now it sounds lovely, no drone at all - weird I know.

I was actually joking about the CP-E cat-back (I keep bugging RX9 about it- long story), I don't want it now.

Wild Weasel
07-16-2008, 09:38 AM
My poor car. Dropped 'er off this morning for rehab so she can drop her smoking habit. :chuckle

http://www.wildweasel.ca/images/cars/wm4/20080716_Smoke/smoking_t.jpg (http://www.wildweasel.ca/images/cars/wm4/20080716_Smoke/pages/smoking.shtml)

kid_icarus
07-16-2008, 09:44 AM
My poor car. Dropped 'er off this morning for rehab so she can drop her smoking habit. :chuckle

http://www.wildweasel.ca/images/cars/wm4/20080716_Smoke/smoking_t.jpg (http://www.wildweasel.ca/images/cars/wm4/20080716_Smoke/pages/smoking.shtml)

hey WW
so the dealerships are no longer backordered eh?
how long did they say it'd take before you get your new turbo installed?

hope that goes well man...

i should really check mine to see if there's any smoke... hmnnn i doubt it though

RX9
07-16-2008, 11:10 AM
how many km did you have on the car WW? i am worry about mine as well.

mleblond
07-16-2008, 11:13 AM
mine did way worst than that but it was only one time...hasnt done it since

Wild Weasel
07-16-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm at around 26k km's. No idea on ETA or whether the parts are backordered or anything. They said they had to look it over before determining definitively what's wrong, and then will determine what to do about it.

They said that if it's not too bad, I can keep driving it until any necessary parts come in. If it's the turbo seals... do you think they'll let me keep driving it? What's the worse that could happen? Will it seize up, or will it explode and send turbo bits into the engine?

Pilzz
07-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm at around 26k km's. No idea on ETA or whether the parts are backordered or anything. They said they had to look it over before determining definitively what's wrong, and then will determine what to do about it.

They said that if it's not too bad, I can keep driving it until any necessary parts come in. If it's the turbo seals... do you think they'll let me keep driving it? What's the worse that could happen? Will it seize up, or will it explode and send turbo bits into the engine?

I depends on how bad your turbo is screwed up. They would not let me take my car out as they said they found oil and metal shaving in the intake. They said the turbo fins were probably shreding up or something like that. That will be upto the dealer to determine if you car is ok. Just hope they can get you a turbo asap.

Fobio
07-16-2008, 12:52 PM
would you consider getting an upgraded STOCK turbo and tell them you sourced it yourself from Mazda and give it to them to install?

mleblond
07-16-2008, 12:57 PM
hahaha nice one fobio! swaping it they would notice the size difference .....I think :chuckle

Fobio
07-16-2008, 12:59 PM
hahaha nice one fobio! swaping it they would notice the size difference .....I think :chuckle

No...that's why I said upgraded STOCK turbo...there are parts and services to upgrade the stock turbo and have it be the same size!

Wild Weasel
07-16-2008, 01:23 PM
I don't see any way they'd pay for that under warranty, and I'm not shelling out. :)

RX9
07-16-2008, 01:30 PM
i am just hopping my turbo can last another 2.5yrs (just keeping fingers crossed) then i can change to a bigger turbo.

zoomzoom33
07-16-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm having the same problem with smoke, before it was just a bit, but now its a huge cloud. I noticed this by accident. I left my car running when I went in the office to pick up some stuff, I came out and started driving and I noticed a cloud of smoke coming from the back of the car. I drove for a bit and it went away. I did this again a few days later, idle the car for 5mins and started to drive, and right away I had a smoke screen behind me. Would this be a turbo seal issue? I am due for service in 1000km and worried to take the car in. I have the TSX DP and Vib. catback. When you (plizz) took your car in did you have the CPE DP on? Has any one else with an after market DP go in for service only to be hassled about having it? and which dealer (s) would you guys recommend? I'm kind of worried to go back to my dealer as they kind of gave me grief about my BOV. Any help or recommendations ppl. Thanks

Garu
07-16-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm having the same problem with smoke, before it was just a bit, but now its a huge cloud. I noticed this by accident. I left my car running when I went in the office to pick up some stuff, I came out and started driving and I noticed a cloud of smoke coming from the back of the car. I drove for a bit and it went away. I did this again a few days later, idle the car for 5mins and started to drive, and right away I had a smoke screen behind me. Would this be a turbo seal issue? I am due for service in 1000km and worried to take the car in. I have the TSX DP and Vib. catback. When you (plizz) took your car in did you have the CPE DP on? Has any one else with an after market DP go in for service only to be hassled about having it? and which dealer (s) would you guys recommend? I'm kind of worried to go back to my dealer as they kind of gave me grief about my BOV. Any help or recommendations ppl. Thanks

Definitely sounds like turbo seal issue.
Your DP needs to come off and put the stock one back on.

zoomzoom33
07-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Definitely sounds like turbo seal issue.
Your DP needs to come off and put the stock one back on.

Thanks, but will the stock cat remove some of the smoke to a point where the dealer says it a "normal" amount that suppose to come from the car?
Has anyone else replaced their tubo while having an aftermarket DP still on?
I know Alhope has a TSX DP, have you had any issues going to the dealer?

RX9
07-16-2008, 08:57 PM
stock cats will kill lots of the smoke for sure. you can take a look if there is oil dripping from turbo? my buddy's CWP speed leaked oil from turbo b4 dealer fixed it, thats what he tought me to chk when i asked him about the seal problem last time. but you have to reinstall back the stock DP, thats for sure.

alhope34
07-16-2008, 10:49 PM
I know Alhope has a TSX DP, have you had any issues going to the dealer?

The dealership hasn't said one word about my mods to me. Not at all. The dealership owner is a real car guy himself, having two race-only RX-7's. I told him of my mods and he said it was a good base to start building the car up, didn't say anything about jeopardizing my warranty. Also, I recently got my rear right shock replaced under warranty, fast and hassle free. Didn't say anything about my mods.

zoomzoom33
07-17-2008, 03:38 PM
The dealership hasn't said one word about my mods to me. Not at all. The dealership owner is a real car guy himself, having two race-only RX-7's. I told him of my mods and he said it was a good base to start building the car up, didn't say anything about jeopardizing my warranty. Also, I recently got my rear right shock replaced under warranty, fast and hassle free. Didn't say anything about my mods.

I got my car from the same place you got yours. The machanic gave me some grief over me lowering my car and having a BOV. I went in last time for service and wanted them to look at my shocks (Front pass. side), it would make a clunking sound when I go over a bump, funny thing is that it ONLY makes this sound when its raining or very damp outside. They said thats what happens when you lower your car........ He didn't want to look into that issue, so what are the chances he'll look at my turbo? I didn't have my TBE on at the time. Wondering if they will void my warranty altogether.

Fobio
07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
I got my car from the same place you got yours. The machanic gave me some grief over me lowering my car and having a BOV. I went in last time for service and wanted them to look at my shocks (Front pass. side), it would make a clunking sound when I go over a bump, funny thing is that it ONLY makes this sound when its raining or very damp outside. They said thats what happens when you lower your car........ He didn't want to look into that issue, so what are the chances he'll look at my turbo? I didn't have my TBE on at the time. Wondering if they will void my warranty altogether.

try 'sauga Mazda...

alhope34
07-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Wow, thats very different treatment than what I've gotten in the past. I really don't know then. The mechanics have driven my car before, they know it isn't stock, it isn't hard to tell at all. Maybe it helps I'm not lowered? Dealers and insurance seem to do backflips if anyone is ever lowered, which is why I'm never going to.

Fobio
07-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Is this thread like a "your mama's joke"? as in everybody gets a turn? ;)

I went to the track today (look for post in Tracking) and battled a Mustang GT driven by an instructor...I was chasing him to pick up lines and he let me by and chased me for awhile...great fun!

Then afterwards, we parked and chatted...I had my car idling...5 min into the conversation, another instructor comes by to tell me my exhaust is smoking...and lo and behold, I get white/blue smoke coming out...

It lasted for a bit...like another 3 min before I turned the car off (so from pitting to turn off, it was at least 10 min)...turned it back on, very little smoke...had another guy watch while I revved the engine and little smoke comes out...

I left the car to cool off for another 20 min and restarted...no smoke...what's up with that? After an hr's drive home...no smoke...

mleblond: was it under similar circumstances when you had smoke?

Wild Weasel
07-19-2008, 09:52 PM
With the car sitting there idling, ensure the A/C is turned on. That really increased the smoke volume on mine. :)

alhope34
07-19-2008, 09:58 PM
I really hope this doesn't happen with my 08. I got the first batch, my car was made in July or August 07, I forget what month was on the slip I found in the car under the driver's seat. I hope the new turbo was being installed by then.

ramboh
07-23-2008, 08:52 AM
I have an early '08 MS3. Last night while flooring the car in 2nd I noticed black smoke billowing in the rear view mirror. I haven't noticed any smoke at idle. I did another test this morning and noticed smoke again with the pedal to the floor. Does this sound like the turbo seal problem?

Garu
07-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Black smoke is normal. It just means your turbo is hard at working :chuckle

WeatherB
07-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Black smoke is normal. It just means your turbo is hard at working :chuckle

And it gives you an extra 100HP. :bana2

Wild Weasel
07-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Got confirmation this morning. They're replacing my turbo.

Question though... does anyone know whether they replace them with anything more reliable, or will the new one be a crap-shoot and potentially fail a year from now with the exact same issue?

Garu
07-23-2008, 11:34 AM
They did change the part number of the turbo at some point. Only thing I know for sure is 2007 models have turbos with old part number.

Change in the part number certainly means there has been a change to the part, but what no clue.
After the turbo has been replaced I have not seen the problem returning yet. I did put over 7000km on it already.

Fobio
07-23-2008, 11:50 AM
there's a thread on MSF about a guy who had this recur after a turbo replacement...and now he's considering other fixes, such as an OCC...

I also saw a reworked stock turbo from MSF for about 700...but reviews on this is luke warm...

Garu
07-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Well if you put it that way, even guys with old turbo do not have any issues.
So who knows.

Fobio
07-23-2008, 12:01 PM
There's also speculation that it's oil-specific...some guys say they had their turbo smoked and since changing to Pennzoil Plat, it went away...

I tend to think it's a combination of things...since I'm bone-stock on the exhaust side: Mobil1, possible slight overfill on last oil change, exhaust blow-by, etc...I'm just not 100% that it's always the tubo, but I can be completely wrong as well...

REFERENCE: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/mazdaspeed-3-6-turbo-induction/7365-my-turbo-replaced-under-warranty-last-month-its-smoking-again.html

brecker
07-24-2008, 08:15 AM
There's also speculation that it's oil-specific...some guys say they had their turbo smoked and since changing to Pennzoil Plat, it went away...

I tend to think it's a combination of things...since I'm bone-stock on the exhaust side: Mobil1, possible slight overfill on last oil change, exhaust blow-by, etc...I'm just not 100% that it's always the tubo, but I can be completely wrong as well...

REFERENCE: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/mazdaspeed-3-6-turbo-induction/7365-my-turbo-replaced-under-warranty-last-month-its-smoking-again.html

I have an 07 running COBB stage 2+ with 45,000km. No hint of smoke. I've been running synth (penzoil platinum) since 1st oil change and pound the crap out of my car :) I make sure the oil levels are not to high and change oil every 5k.

This is a hard one to figure out. Another pointer I would put out there is do not run your car hard until it's fully warmed up!

Fobio
07-24-2008, 09:39 AM
I have an 07 running COBB stage 2+ with 45,000km. No hint of smoke. I've been running synth (penzoil platinum) since 1st oil change and pound the crap out of my car :) I make sure the oil levels are not to high and change oil every 5k.

This is a hard one to figure out. Another pointer I would put out there is do not run your car hard until it's fully warmed up!

I kinda think I have this one figured out now...when the guys who did the OCC (oil catch can) install did a drain after 1 month of driving, he poured out a cup of sludge, oil and gasoline...I suppose this guy drives just about as hard/easy as most of us...

This past oil change, I know Jimmy did the fill right up to the top. With a couple of track events (I avg about 120 - 150km/tank when I track), a lot of that gas/oil/sludge gets recirculated back into the intake and with the addition of the gasoline injected at high pressure, some of it would've seeped into my oil, contributing to the overall amount of liquid there, and essentially creating an oil overfill-like situation...and wioth the sloshing around and high-rpm, it's very likely this blow-back could have gotten sucked back into the intake DURING idle because of the higher vacuum @ idle...

This is for me anyway...and one more thing to consider...like I said, I've only seen white/blue smoke once and it only happened when I idled the car after some hard driving...

Garu
07-24-2008, 10:04 AM
When was last time you actually checked all your 3 rear view mirrors while taking off from the traffic light? Or turned your head to look behind if there is any trail of smoke from your car. It's not easy to spot this problem unless you actually look for it.

On a hot and humid day, after you drive home from your work let your car idle in the driveway for about good 30 seconds. If your car has problem it will start to smoke for sure.

I don't think this issue is related to what kind of oil you use. If you have this issue, your turbo will leak oil physically from its housing.

Fobio
07-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Driving downtown, I chk my mirrors all the time, and yes, since the first smoke-out, I've been idling my car when I get home for over 1 min w/ AC on just to see...it has not recurred since that one time...

And I'm not saying everyone's issue is like mine...I'm just saying that for me, I don't think it's a bad turbo seal, and you guys know I drive my car like I mean it...YMMV...

mleblond
07-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Driving downtown, I chk my mirrors all the time, and yes, since the first smoke-out, I've been idling my car when I get home for over 1 min w/ AC on just to see...it has not recurred since that one time...

And I'm not saying everyone's issue is like mine...I'm just saying that for me, I don't think it's a bad turbo seal, and you guys know I drive my car like I mean it...YMMV...

Hey bud,
I had the same problem as you. never smoked since but I do watch out for it. I just figured I popped my car's cherry...

Walrus
07-24-2008, 11:20 AM
I haven't read the posts about OCCs on M3F, but I used to have a Merkur XR4Ti, and I was running 18psi boost on it (some were running 23psi). What we found on those, if you didn't replace the PCV valve often (I replaced mine 2x a year, they were cheap), we would get oil in the intake. The PCV valve would stop working - it would stick open - allowing boost to pressurize the crankcase, which would in turn cause the breather on top of the valve cover to suck up some oil (sloshing around in the valve cover) and end up in the intake.

The PCVs from crappy tire were usually garbage for boost applications - its basically a check valve, you can blow through it one way, but not the other. Most you picked up off the shelf at crappy tire, you could blow through a little air in the wrong direction - put 18 psi on that and you're leaking too much. We used the original Ford ones, they had a better internal seal.

In addition to that, we put a type of OCC on the valve cover breather port, it was more like a baffled expansion chamber.. so if any oil did get sucked out of the valve cover, it went into the chamber which slowed its velocity, and didn't get sucked through and out the top of the chamber.

Just a thought from my experience.

Fobio
07-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Hey bud,
I had the same problem as you. never smoked since but I do watch out for it. I just figured I popped my car's cherry...

LMAO...:werd

I haven't read the posts about OCCs on M3F, but I used to have a Merkur XR4Ti, and I was running 18psi boost on it (some were running 23psi). What we found on those, if you didn't replace the PCV valve often (I replaced mine 2x a year, they were cheap), we would get oil in the intake. The PCV valve would stop working - it would stick open - allowing boost to pressurize the crankcase, which would in turn cause the breather on top of the valve cover to suck up some oil (sloshing around in the valve cover) and end up in the intake.

The PCVs from crappy tire were usually garbage for boost applications - its basically a check valve, you can blow through it one way, but not the other. Most you picked up off the shelf at crappy tire, you could blow through a little air in the wrong direction - put 18 psi on that and you're leaking too much. We used the original Ford ones, they had a better internal seal.

In addition to that, we put a type of OCC on the valve cover breather port, it was more like a baffled expansion chamber.. so if any oil did get sucked out of the valve cover, it went into the chamber which slowed its velocity, and didn't get sucked through and out the top of the chamber.

Just a thought from my experience.

^^^Thank you. 'zactly what I'm looking for...any thoughts on the EGR from your experience then?

don't mean to thread jack guys! :blush

Walrus
07-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Most guys removed it when porting the exhaust manifold, partly because a replacement EGR pipe wasn't readily available - it usually was getting rusty, and would break when reefing on the EGR fitting on the exhaust manifold when it came off for porting. Most didn't remove the EGR if they weren't working on the manifold.

WhiteSpeed3
08-01-2008, 04:31 PM

WW what the story? any word yet on how long it will take?

Wild Weasel
08-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Ah... sorry guys...

Dropped the car off on Wednesday and picked it up on Tuesday. They expected I'd have it Thursday but apparently they broke some bits while trying to get it out and had to order parts.

Seems good as new now!

5_Alive
08-01-2008, 06:30 PM
I had my turbo replaced through Banks Mazda a couple months ago.. They called Mazda tech. to inform them of a squeak I was having.. they said fix the squeak, and at the same time, replace the turbo.. they gave me a car, sent me on my way, and I had my car back 4 days later.. The turbo came from somewhere in Mississippi from what I recall..

The car now runs a lot better and smoother then when it did when I first had it.. really strange to say the least..

WhiteSpeed3
08-02-2008, 10:04 AM
did anyone get a to rich at idle code when there turbo blew that made the smoke stop

WhiteSpeed3
08-06-2008, 04:47 PM
another one bites the dust

my new turbo is on order from the dealership and they will call me when it comes in

MSMitch
08-06-2008, 04:52 PM

my new turbo is on order from the dealership and they will call me when it comes in

Did you change your car "back to stock" prior to taking yours in?

My MS3 is an '07 - picked it up in July, but they got it for me in March '07 - only 20,000km so far, hopefully not a ticking time bomb, but I ain't holding my breath!!!

WhiteSpeed3
08-06-2008, 04:58 PM
nope i didnt change anything back to stock

Fobio
08-06-2008, 07:22 PM

are you still good for this wknd?

boogie
08-06-2008, 08:41 PM
nope i didnt change anything back to stock

So they didn't give you a hard time for your exhaust/FMIC? What dealer was this?

WhiteSpeed3
08-07-2008, 07:56 AM
are you still good for this wknd?

yes i might as well kill the turbo completelyas they said it wasnt to bad but they will replace it before it gets worse

So they didn't give you a hard time for your exhaust/FMIC? What dealer was this?

no hard time about my mods they cant really im still on the stock DP/MP and the intercooler is basically just rerouting the intercooler to the front and extending pipes

as for the dealership i take my car to Prima and they will be doing the work, Aaron there is they only one there that touches my car

5_Alive
08-07-2008, 11:50 AM
They CANNOT nail you for modifications if the part that is broken or malfunctioned/malfunctioning has no direct effect from the modifications.
eg.-- He blows his transmission but has an intake, too bad, not his problem.
Same with the IC-- its to better the car= help it out and less stress on the other components. Dealerships get sarcastic when it comes to modifications. They have no right to refuse service unless the vehicle at hand has been damaged by another dealer, and hasn't been repaired properly.
I drive 150km-round trip to get my car serviced because Windsor Mazda has no idea what a customer is when they walk in the door. I wish that place lit on fire.

As for the turbo's, we all know our cars are going to be in their AGAIN in some point in time. I'm glad I have a 160k warranty, lol..

WhiteSpeed3
08-07-2008, 11:57 AM
new update turbo is in stock and will be put in on tuesday

RX9
08-07-2008, 12:03 PM
They CANNOT nail you for modifications if the part that is broken or malfunctioned/malfunctioning has no direct effect from the modifications.
Same with the IC-- its to better the car= help it out and less stress on the other components. Dealerships get sarcastic when it comes to modifications. They have no right to refuse service unless the vehicle at hand has been damaged by another dealer, and hasn't been repaired properly.
I drive 150km-round trip to get my car serviced because Windsor Mazda has no idea what a customer is when they walk in the door. I wish that place lit on fire.

As for the turbo's, we all know our cars are going to be in their AGAIN in some point in time. I'm glad I have a 160k warranty, lol..

try DP, you will see what gonna happen.:chuckle

5_Alive
08-07-2008, 12:19 PM
DP, as in Down-pipe? If that's the case, I could only imagine, lol.. THEN I'd be retracting my previous statement, lol..

MSMitch
08-07-2008, 02:46 PM

Anytime something "not Mazda" is put in a Mazda will put the consumer at risk for warranty issues, epsecially engine work - unless shown it was serviced by an authorized Mazda dealer. They can try to come up with a 1001 reasons why a FMIC could possibly affect something else... but still ticks me off when they try to blame a Mazda problem on an aftermarket mod...

BoOdOg
11-05-2008, 04:18 PM
I am in process of getting mine done -

I took my car to Sydney Mazda in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Mods are (they were all left on car)
Cobb SRI
CP-e DP w/cat
CP-e SS exhaust
Turbosmart dual port BOV

I was given an mtec online number 5505 from a user on other mazda form I provided this to my dealer, they took my car in let it idle lots of smoke. Then went for a drive and let it idle lots of smoke. They placed a call to Mazda on Friday, on Monday I got a call my new turbo was ordered. Waiting on parts/install so far the dealer has been great.

It is a small town and I have sent them 2 other speed3 buyers so maybe thats why I am getting service dont know for sure

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-05-2008, 04:29 PM

Cobb SRI
CP-e DP w/cat
CP-e SS exhaust
Turbosmart dual port BOV

I was given an mtec online number 5505 from a user on other mazda form I provided this to my dealer, they took my car in let it idle lots of smoke. Then went for a drive and let it idle lots of smoke. They placed a call to Mazda on Friday, on Monday I got a call my new turbo was ordered. Waiting on parts/install so far the dealer has been great.

It is a small town and I have sent them 2 other speed3 buyers so maybe thats why I am getting service dont know for sure

Is your MS3 a 2007 or a later model year?

Garu
11-05-2008, 05:04 PM

Cobb SRI
CP-e DP w/cat
CP-e SS exhaust
Turbosmart dual port BOV

Wow, and the dealer did not give you any hassle? Amazing.

BoOdOg
11-05-2008, 08:10 PM
car is a 2007

Wild Weasel
11-06-2008, 09:25 AM

When it's a well documented issue and all the symptoms match, there's not much reason to give a hassle. The dealer gets paid for the work, so they should be happy to do it unless there's an obvious reason to suspect something foul going on.

WhiteSpeed3
11-07-2008, 12:26 PM

they didnt hassle me at all and i got a bit more mods then that

BoOdOg
12-02-2008, 01:49 PM
I got my car back, there was a wait of nearly 20 days for the turbo/seals to arrive then after they take turbo off they didnt wanna reuse studs so they had order them and well they shipped ground but were requested air so I waited another few days for these. Mazda did give me an 08 GMC Sierra 2500 while I had no car lol

Car is back, bit of an exhaust rattle now, not sure if it was there before or after service ill have a look probably just something minor ill fix myself.

So far about 80kms on the car and no smoke at all so I am happy! Fully covered under warranty not a question asked I was upfront about my mods.

BoOdOg
12-02-2008, 01:52 PM
oh they also did a fuel pump flash for they said cold weather/rough idle i'm pretty sure it was just the TSB everyone knows about.

I leave for Edmonton in morning so I wont even have anytime really test the car so ill update once I return and put some km's on turbo if it's all fixed. I drove about 80km so far and no a single puff so I am pretty pumped

WhiteSpeed3
12-02-2008, 02:13 PM
i dont know why but every time i call mazda dealerships they never heard of this fuel pump tsb im down to 3 dealership now that have said they've never heard of this tsb

blackspeed3
12-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Why do I have the feeling turbo's are going bad because of coaxed bearings due to not letting them cool down properly? I have an '07 with 17K on it and turbo is perfect still.

alhope34
12-03-2008, 06:28 PM
The turbo is still fine on my '08 with 43,000kms. My 08 was made before the new turbos were being put on.