PDA

View Full Version : How can I achieve about a 1" to 1.5" raise -- Newbie

DaSkorpion
06-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi guys,

I am glad I found this site woohoo -- anyways I know everyone is trying to lower their Mazda 3's but I on the other hand am trying to either have it raised about an inch or an inch and a half if that is possible.

Current setup = Stock shocks, Road Magnet 1.25" springs, Mazdaspeed rear cambers, Weapon R CAI and 17x7.5 wheels (offset 38 with 235/50/17 tires)

Now the problem - - when I have people in the back and am driving the rear fenders rub the tires each time I hit a ramp or pothole (the fronts are fine) so what am trying to do is raise it about an inch or so to prevent the rubbing. I have tried looking for coil spring spacers/adjusters but cannot find any that sits on the bottom or top neither can I find any heavy duty springs (non lowering) for the Mazda 3.

I do intend on upgrading to bilstein HD shocks when the prices drop a little but until then am in a bind to make this work...:bana

Any help and ideas from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
DaSkorpion

FLIPDADY
06-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I would recommend a set of MS3 stock springs. Made for the heavier Speed 3 it should be the solution you're looking for.

yearoftherat
06-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Well due to the offset of your rims that why you're rubbin. There are a few options you can do:

1: Roll your fenders for more clearance
2: Or put your stock springs back on.

Wild Weasel
06-03-2008, 04:03 PM
What about just putting stock springs back in the rear? Or do you still want the stiffness but at stock height?

Did you remove the bump stops?

DaSkorpion
06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
For some reason I am against rolling fenders but thanks for chipping in - it is greatly appreciated..

=========

Well due to the offset of your rims that why you're rubbin. There are a few options you can do:

S.F.W.
06-03-2008, 04:11 PM
the 38 offset is going to cause problems. Not sure if adjusting the springs will help.

DaSkorpion
06-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Never thought of the MS3 stock spring option - thanks for the info you rock..!!!

=========

I would recommend a set of MS3 stock springs. Made for the heavier Speed 3 it should be the solution you're looking for.

DaSkorpion
06-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Nope I did not remove the bump stops - I prefer the stiffness and stock height the road mags give compared to the stock springs...thanks for your input though.

=======

What about just putting stock springs back in the rear? Or do you still want the stiffness but at stock height?

Did you remove the bump stops?

DaSkorpion
06-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Only time I rub is when I have 2 or more passengers in the back other than that I can clear bumps and potholes without a problem. Guess I might have to take the rear seats out or sumffin.

==========

the 38 offset is going to cause problems. Not sure if adjusting the springs will help.

mleblond
06-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Only time I rub is when I have 2 or more passengers in the back other than that I can clear bumps and potholes without a problem. Guess I might have to take the rear seats out or sumffin

Or pick up lighter ladies :chuckle

Kevin@nextmod
06-03-2008, 04:25 PM
2 degree camber.

Flagrum_3
06-03-2008, 05:21 PM

:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

_3

Noisy Crow
06-03-2008, 08:56 PM

The 235 width isn't helping you any either. A 225 or 215 might be enough to clear your fenders. Frankly the narrower tire would look better than jacking the rear up like Bigfoot. Just my 2¢.

mit-gee-mui
06-03-2008, 09:51 PM
I would recommend a set of MS3 stock springs.
I was going to say the same thing.

:chuckle

Or you could always try to empty out the car, Pearl Harbour style....:loco

DaSkorpion - You never know. Watch you start a new SUV-type trend.:whoa

Fobio
06-03-2008, 11:38 PM

I...like big butts and I can not lie...

mEtH
06-04-2008, 09:19 AM
235/50 is way too big! you should drop down to a 225/45 and see if the problem persists. By going to 235 you are increasing the overall tire diameter so you should lower the profile as well. 225/45 and if the problem still persists take out the Mazdaspeed camber links.

nicker
06-04-2008, 09:37 AM
take out your back seats ???

DaSkorpion
06-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Sorry my bad the tire size is 235/45/17 and NOT 235/50/17 as I mentioned earlier.

========

235/50 is way too big! you should drop down to a 225/45 and see if the problem persists. By going to 235 you are increasing the overall tire diameter so you should lower the profile as well. 225/45 and if the problem still persists take out the Mazdaspeed camber links.

DaSkorpion
06-04-2008, 09:51 AM
.......Other brothas cant deny....hahaha

===============

I...like big butts and I can not lie...

3GFX
06-04-2008, 10:15 AM
38 offset? How are you not rubbing even without passengers.

Thats way to low of an offset. If I were you I'd get some new rims or narrower (215) tires.

Whoever sold you on those rims and tires really took you for a ride because those shouldn't fit at all. Do you have pics?

DaSkorpion
06-04-2008, 11:34 AM
These are rims that came off my Nissan 350Z after I put 19"s on them - Here is a camera picture of it on my Mazda 3. I got the tires for my birthday from my girlfriend they are Goodyear F1 All Season but I had already bought a 19" tire and wheel package so I was like instead of them laying around why not put them to use on the Mazda 3 since thats my daily commuter.

All I am looking for is a little more stiffness in the rear springs to accommodate when I have passengers in the back.

Couldnt attach a picture to this so I put it in my profile image to give an idea.

Thanks and best regards

==============

38 offset? How are you not rubbing even without passengers.

Thats way to low of an offset. If I were you I'd get some new rims or narrower (215) tires.

Whoever sold you on those rims and tires really took you for a ride because those shouldn't fit at all. Do you have pics?

DaSkorpion
06-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Another quick question - tried searching for an answer in the forums though but gave up.

What are the spring rates or ratios for the stock MazdaSpeed 3 springs compared to the Road Magnets with a 1.25" drop I currently have....basically am just trying to find out how much of a drop the MazdaSpeed 3 springs will give and also is it going to be the same height in the front and rear or the front is always higher?

Also does anyone have any idea how much the stock MazdaSpeed 3 springs are going for?

Thanks once again for all your inputs...:bana2

huyzel
06-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Front: 188.298 lb/in (3.365064 kg/mm)
Rear: 171.180 lb/in (3.059149 kg/mm)
Source:http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=77093.0

You can get these for $100-150
I think there are a couple for sale in the for sale forum right now.

Another quick question - tried searching for an answer in the forums though but gave up.

What are the spring rates or ratios for the stock MazdaSpeed 3 springs compared to the Road Magnets with a 1.25" drop I currently have....basically am just trying to find out how much of a drop the MazdaSpeed 3 springs will give and also is it going to be the same height in the front and rear or the front is always higher?

Also does anyone have any idea how much the stock MazdaSpeed 3 springs are going for?

Thanks once again for all your inputs...:bana2

DaSkorpion
06-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info...huyzel...!!!