PDA

View Full Version : the mazda approved bodyshops in sticky.. how are they on benz?

silvermist99
06-10-2008, 02:14 PM
anyone have any experience with them and higher end cars? like a benz/ a black slk350. From what I've seen mazda paint is a lot thinner then european car's paint.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12664

SonicBoy
06-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Not sure what you are asking here. Autobody shops do not get paint from the Car manufactures. They get the paint from the same place the repair shops buy it like Dupont, BASF or Seikens. The thinkness of the paint depends on the machine that painted that particular vehicle.

If you are thinking of taking your Benz to an autobody shop, the thickness of the paint depends on how much the painter applies, his/her skill and reputation.

If the shop is reputable and does good work is probably what you are asking. Should not matter if they are Mazda authorized or not. You should probably be asking if they are certified to Mercedes standards.

kaval
06-11-2008, 02:19 PM
It's not really the thickness of the paint but moreso the hardness. You'll notice that European (not all) come with Ceramiclear, which is a ceramic-based clearcoat. BMW and Mercedes market this as their scratch resistant clearcoat. It is pretty hard, and detailers have the option of buying products specifically designed for this type of clearcoat.

Mazda paint is on the softer side (along with Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus. Porsche, Subaru) being more susceptible to defects such as scratches and swirls.

I would find out from the shop if they can use Ceramiclear to paint your vehicle. It will raise the repair bill, but it will keep your car as original as possible.

SonicBoy
06-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Isin't the Ceramiclear a powder coat that is baked at the factory? Saw this on a special showing how BMWs are made.

silvermist99
06-13-2008, 12:16 AM
ended up bringing it back to benz. Thanks guys!

Thanks kaval for clearing it up, I know some european manfacturer put some extra stuff on their paint, I just didn't remember off the top of my head.