PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intakes

cooldudeman5
06-11-2008, 11:35 PM
hey i have a quick question what will a cold air intake do for my mazda 3 sport gt whats the ups and the downs

Fuman
06-12-2008, 01:30 AM
please search there are a lot of threads on this.

cwp_sedan
06-12-2008, 07:13 AM
There are many threads about intakes, cold air or short ram. Definitely check out the searches and see if any of the links help.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/search.php?searchid=580885

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/search.php?searchid=580887

To be quick about your question...

Pros
1. Increased power (not much but you will feel it)
2. Possible increased gas mileage (If you don't have your pedal to the floor)
3. Allows the engine to breathe a little better by bringing in more, cooler air.

Cons
1. Changing the filter is a bit of a pain but once you do it you'll get the hang of it.
2. Chance of CEL (check engine lights). Whether sensor related or filter dampness, this "could" happen
3. There is ALWAY a chance that you could submerge the filter in an extremely large puddle while driving causing the intake to suck water into the engine. If you do this you could have big problems (Hydrolock). The chance of this happening though is very low.

p-o-g-i
06-12-2008, 10:04 AM
To be quick about your question...

Pros
1. Increased power (not much but you will feel it)
2. Possible increased gas mileage (If you don't have your pedal to the floor)
3. Allows the engine to breathe a little better by bringing in more, cooler air.

Cons
1. Changing the filter is a bit of a pain but once you do it you'll get the hang of it.
2. Chance of CEL (check engine lights). Whether sensor related or filter dampness this "could" happen
3. Their is ALWAY a chance that you could submerge the filter in an extremely large puddle while driving causing the intake to suck water into the engine. If you do this you could have big problems (Hydrolock). The chance of this happening though is very low.

Nice, quick, and clear.... !!!

FLIPDADY
06-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Well put Ryan.

:lock