PDA

View Full Version : Dealership Rust Protection

Trinidad
06-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering I got caught in the torrential downpour yesterday night around 7:00pm on the 401. I haven't seen that amount of rain for a long time! I had just put a Sharkfin on and I was worried about that, however it seems to be fine. Curious I decided to check out the rust protection, which is the black tar like stuff which is supposed to be hard. However to my surprise it was soft, I could easily press down on it. Now I know the stuff is supposed to harden, which I thought it had since I have had the car for almost a month now. Now I checked it quickly this morning and it's drying out but still a little soft. Should this be cause for concern or is this normal?

yearoftherat
06-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Its normal as the tar is an oil based product.

Trinidad
06-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Great thanks, good to know! :)

kaval
06-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Make sure you don't rub it on the painted surfaces, it'll scratch the paint.

SonicBoy
06-16-2008, 08:56 PM
It's supposed to remain some what soft and tacky to re heal itself if there is a stone chip.

Trinidad
06-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Well that makes me feel better, just didn't want any problems to develope early on. And nope didn't touch the paint afterwards, after reading all the posts on here about car care thanks to many members, I'm more aware of things that can potentialy harm the paint job :)

RX9
06-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Hi all,

.... which is the black tar like stuff which is supposed to be hard. However to my surprise it was soft, I could easily press down on it. .... Should this be cause for concern or is this normal?

they use two different stuff under the car and on the painted frames. the under-car is hard, the painted frames (door pannels, under the hood) is soft jel alike.