PDA

View Full Version : Change rims for looks (and maybe fuel econ)

ramboh
06-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Hi guys,

I'm contemplating switching my MS3 rims/wheels to something lighter and better looking. I've heard that there may be some gains in fuel economy with moving to a lighter wheel. Can anyone confirm a noticeable gain in fuel economy (or worse!?) in doing this?

I'm thinking of moving to the ADR FIN7 and they weigh 18.1 lbs each, about 6 lbs lighter per wheel I think.

Garu
06-23-2008, 09:24 AM
You will definitely notice it in accelerating and handling.
However, gas mileage, I'm not too sure about that. I keep track of my gas mileage, I did not see significant change after I change my rims.

dentinger
06-23-2008, 10:26 AM
i noticed a change when i put mine on.
i was easily getting 500kms/tank in the winter (when you get the worst fuel economy),
and after i put my summers on, i can barely make 450kms/tank.

but thats only cuz my stock steelies/tires weigh 37.5lbs each, and my aftermarket 17's/tires weigh around 44lbs each. (my 17" rims alone are about 23lb each :whoa)

ramboh
06-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Dentinger, your experience is like mine. I was getting better mileage with my winters but when I put my 50+ lb. stock summer rims/tires on, the gas tank doesn't go as far as it used to....

stormin84
06-27-2008, 04:03 PM
same thing with my rims, you don't get as much kms as the winters and especially with the my new speed3 it is hard to keep my foot off the pedal.

EvilEric
06-30-2008, 09:52 AM
From previous posts, the type of tire and amount of air that you might have during summer will probably have more of an impact on your fuel econ.

There's a rim weight post that shows you the weight of stock vs aftermarket rims. I also remember people suggesting that you should take into account the quality of the rims (cracking).