PDA

View Full Version : Ways to clean brownish tires, soap and water?

qycxzerqp
06-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi all, it is my first post in this section. I searched a bit but cannot find a way to clean brownish tires, people talk about how to make them shine, in my case I just want them to return to black like when I first got them. Can I just use soap and water? Thanks.

Now it looks like...
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd181/qycgbx58a/IMG_4142.jpg

dentinger
06-26-2008, 10:06 PM
ive been wondering the same thing lately....
i like them shiny, but i tihnk my tires have like, 400 coats of tire shine now.

plontoc
06-26-2008, 10:20 PM
ive been wondering the same thing lately....
i like them shiny, but i tihnk my tires have like, 400 coats of tire shine now.

I hear you buddy!

While we're on the topic...I'd like to add a question

Anyone know where one could find Shining Monkey (I think) Tire Shine? They say that it doesn't spray off onto the body.

Kaval, we need your input here:)

dentinger
06-26-2008, 10:32 PM
i think the tuning shop near my house sells it.
(in burlington)

kaval
06-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Hey guys, really sorry I missed this. I've been busy and will respond to the threads slowly as time frees up.

Anyways, I deal with these brown tires in almost EVERY detail. The browning has occured from using silicone-based tire dressing. These are the clear, gel-looking tire shines. The problem with these dressings is that it does not let the tire breathe and locks in dirt. The only time this wouldn't be an issue is if the tire was BRAND new. Truth of the matter is, tires get dirty, even right after they are made. To avoid this, use water-based tire dressings.

In order to clean these tires to rid of the browning, you need to clean them continuously. I have had excellent luck with Eagle One All-Wheel & Tire Cleaner. I use this product for it's tire cleaning abilities. Spray it on the tire, let it sit for about 20 seconds, then scrub with a proper stiff-bristled tire brush. Scrub and scrub and scrub. It's a tiring process but it has to be done. You will not remove all the dirt in one wash though. I recommend doing it a few times over the course of the week so the tires restore to their original black look. I myself was unaware of the silicon-based tire dressing stuff until a few months ago and have been working tirelessly to remove the gunk from the tires of my Mom's van. It's taken me about 8 cleanings to really see a huge difference.

An example of a water-based tire shine is Optimum Opti-Bond.

Hope that helps!

edit: I've also experienced sidewall cracking from over-dressing your tires with this stuff. Be careful guys!

mit-gee-mui
06-29-2008, 03:22 PM
in order to clean these tires to rid of the browning, you need to clean them continuously. I have had excellent luck with eagle one all-wheel & tire cleaner. I use this product for it's tire cleaning abilities. Spray it on the tire, let it sit for about 20 seconds, then scrub with a proper stiff-bristled tire brush. Scrub and scrub and scrub. It's a tiring process but it has to be done. You will not remove all the dirt in one wash though. I recommend doing it a few times over the course of the week so the tires restore to their original black look.
I use this product and this method on my mazda3s and non-mazda3s, and it's great! :)

A similar response by kaval here.:)

You're going to have to get some All Purpose Cleaner or Tire cleaner and scrub scrub scrub. It took me 4 weeks of continuous cleaning to get the brown out of my mom's old car's tires.

Source: http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=279648&postcount=4 (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=279648&postcount=4)

edit: I've also experienced sidewall cracking from over-dressing your tires with this stuff. Be careful guys!
Sounds dangerous/scary.:whoa

marchz24
07-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Use commit and a scrub brush. Vim will probably work as well. Worked for me years ago when I use to use armoral.

bunchi
07-02-2008, 10:38 PM
has anybody used the no touch tire shine that you can get from costco? what am i doing wrong? i have let it "dry" as in the instruction has said and i ended up with splatter marks all over the side of my car after driving it. i applied too much?

Ogata
07-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Good thread! I have the exact same problem now too and have seen a lot of tire cleaners but from what I have read on here, it seems those are not good to use.

birdman_stang
07-12-2008, 12:03 PM
use SPRAY 9 on the tires to get them clean trust me it works amazingly well then just use tire shine to get them shiney again

Flagrum_3
07-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I just wash them with car soap and use a brush sometimes, just a quick roughing up, rinse, let dry, then spray them with Armorall spray foam, let it sit 5 minutes then wipe slightly with a lint free cloth.I've been using the stuff for many years now and never had a problem with tires browning or cracking!!... I use it once a week....it only takes a couple of minutes to apply...simple! ...I also spray the wheel wells, it works awesome!.Nothing looks worse than clean wheels with dirty wheel wells, imo.

_3

fourtrack78
08-04-2008, 10:37 AM
i had the same problem............just scrub the hell out of them :)

ICEBOX
09-08-2008, 09:34 PM
use SPRAY 9 on the tires to get them clean trust me it works amazingly well then just use tire shine to get them shiney again

this is what I do.

aris
09-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Spray 9 will clean them up

5_Alive
09-09-2008, 06:04 AM
Purple Power.. teehee.. what great stuff..

And tires cracking from over-dressing? If this is the case, you aint' driving your car hard enough my friends.. rubber shouldn't last you long enough for this to happen.. :chuckle

No no I keed..

kaval
09-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Purple Power is amazing stuff! Too bad it can't be had locally. I got my gallon from the US.

I have obtained a gallon of eShine's new APC called Kleenol and am having excellent results with getting out the browning from tires. Scrub scrub scrub!!!

ravin13
09-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Purple Power is amazing stuff! Too bad it can't be had locally. I got my gallon from the US.

Auto Valet buddy, Auto Valet. I'm trying to get some info for you, because that is what we use in my shop. Damn idiots stopped ordering Purple Power and got some other stuff works almost as well, luckly before we ran out of purple power, I grabbed a spray bottle of the stuff, but I'm almost out

EastYork3
09-15-2008, 09:26 PM
I've used the tire stuff that came in the Mazda car cleaning kit. It works really well...Anyone know if this stuff can damage the tires? Kaval, do you know of this stuff?

EastYork3
09-15-2008, 09:27 PM
sorry for the excessive use of the word "stuff."

kaval
09-15-2008, 10:11 PM
I have been testing eShine's new APC called Kleenol. I suggest you all go and buy it, not only for the brown tires, but rims, wheel wells, engine bays, etc.

Soyabean
09-16-2008, 10:56 PM
well..... i just tire shine em again lol. Mine normally last at least 1 week

kaval
09-16-2008, 11:10 PM
^Did you shine over brown tires? If you put shine over clean tires, the shine will last longer

Ex-Rolla
09-18-2008, 11:57 PM

I Agree with Birdman... Once sprayed, you'll see a nasty pool of dirt right under the tire... Usually, i spray it on, then scrub it with a tire scrubber... (this stuff will clean your rims as well)

Go_Habs_Go
09-23-2008, 11:09 PM
anyone try using 303 Aerospace Protectant to clean brown tires? Or is it better to clean it first with a tire cleaner, THEN use the 303 as a shine/protectant??

Ogata
09-25-2008, 10:01 PM
I have been testing eShine's new APC called Kleenol. I suggest you all go and buy it, not only for the brown tires, but rims, wheel wells, engine bays, etc.

Me too this stuff rules! How did you use yours? I diluted abit of it into a spray bottle with some water. Once sprayed, I can literally see the browning and crap coming off though I left it on for abit. This stuff also cleaned my weather tech's pretty good. Is there a reason why the bottle tells you to ensure that this stuff does not completely dry on its down once applied? I'm currently using stoner's tire shine at the moment...will know in about a week or so what happens.

kaval
09-26-2008, 07:40 AM
anyone try using 303 Aerospace Protectant to clean brown tires? Or is it better to clean it first with a tire cleaner, THEN use the 303 as a shine/protectant??

303 Aerospace Protectant is just that...a protectant ;)

You will need to use a cleaner first :)

kaval
09-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Me too this stuff rules! How did you use yours? I diluted abit of it into a spray bottle with some water. Once sprayed, I can literally see the browning and crap coming off though I left it on for abit. This stuff also cleaned my weather tech's pretty good. Is there a reason why the bottle tells you to ensure that this stuff does not completely dry on its down once applied? I'm currently using stoner's tire shine at the moment...will know in about a week or so what happens.

I dilute 4:1 for tires (half and half, since Kleenol comes diluted 50:50 already). I would guess that letting it dry would make it hard to remove after.