PDA

View Full Version : Paint Removal...

jboic
06-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Hey Guys,

I was going home from work yesterday and stupid me wanted to pass the truck that was painting the lines on the road (yellow - yay), and its all over inside my wheelwell, and a little on the side of the car (trim under the doors). Its on my tire a little, but I dont care about that really (for now).

Any suggetions how to remove it properly without making a bigger mess? Would using a power washer and some soap help?

Any help is appreciated always!

austinl
06-28-2008, 06:10 AM
You can try washing it off the normal way, I would probably clay it personally depending on the size of the splatter.

I would assume it should come off easy if done soon as paint over a clear coat might have a hard time bonding provided the car has a nice coat of wax on it.

Failing that you may need to use a compound on it...if so start as light as possible something like Meg's Scratch X and see if you can get it out that way.

Kaval or any other detailing feel free to correct me or chime in with some ideas.

shootemup
06-29-2008, 01:08 PM
You have to be careful when removing road paint. I had this happen before and brought it to a detailer at my work. He told me that the paint never really cures and stays soft, and trying to wash it off by scrubbing it will actually just smear the paint and make it worse. I can't remember what he used, but it was a paint remover type of chemical (which made me nervous) and then he had to buff the area. No idea what this would cost though, as he did it as a favour but I would assume it would be about $50.= at a detailers.