PDA

View Full Version : Broken Street Unit Rear engine mount

mleblond
07-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Bought it new from CTA Patrique Installed mid May (payment sent on may 12th 2008, add shipping and install) and it broke on July 13th 2008.

The 2 bolts got loose and the 2 pieces were then moving making the engine knock against the body. I was able to take the screws apart by hand and had 4 separate pieces at the end of the day.

I took videos of this and will post them soon.

I was pissed off because if you know me I drive a lot. Bought the car new in February 08 and have 18k on it already.

The pieces are now in the warranty process. In the mean time im back on stock mount with the wheel hop and crappy 1-2 2-3 shifting.

Sure they sold lots of them but this being a lemon is not an option. I heard rumors of the mount breaking and now am living proof. Hope I can get a new SU mount to replace my stock one until I can get my hands on a "1 piece" cp-e mount.

Unoriginalusername
07-16-2008, 12:07 PM
reconsidering the whole not getting the cpe one now lol

WhiteSpeed3
07-16-2008, 12:12 PM
i need a mount to and i was gonna jump on the street unit one

i guess not anymore

Flagrum_3
07-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Before anyone jumps to conclusions; I wonder if maybe the installation was flawed somehow?,....He did say the bolts came loose!,...Improperly torqued maybe at install? ...too loose or too tight can make a difference right?!....just saying! :)

_3

nicker
07-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Id like to see the pics, and know if it was torqued properly. I mean how do you brake that?

mleblond
07-16-2008, 12:34 PM
don't get me wrong you need to replace that stock mount. SU was the only real alternative at the time. It lasted me less than 2 months.

It's the 2 screws holding the mount together that broke loose. nothing wrong with the install. If you have seen the mount. It's a 2 piece mount with 2 screwsholding it together. My mount pretty much slip in half....if you want to see it that way.

Walrus
07-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Did something actually break, or did the bolts just come loose, and need to be re-tightened, with some loctite?

mleblond
07-16-2008, 12:53 PM
im thinking they did not get loctite in the first place! You could consider this a clean break. The vids will show more once I post them. But I still would rather change my engine mount every 2 month than have the stupid stock one. I am just not sure I would recommend this one anymore.

Fobio
07-16-2008, 12:56 PM
whoa dude...that sucks man! I feel for ya big time!

to be honest...factory mounts bust...other mounts also go...this particular SU unit may be flawed, but I tend to think our engines are hard on ALL mounts....I'm anxious for the CP-E just so I have a back up! I've already sold my OEM mount...

I'm glad you caught it before your engine fell out...

CanadaGTO
07-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Talked to SU again today about this, and the theory right now is that this was lacking locktite on the 2 bolts since there is no sign of residue on the two bolts.

Over 800 of these have been sold in the US with very few issues. Seems that I may have received a batch with an issue since the ones sent to me were directly from the manufacturer.

THIS IS NOT A DESIGN FLAW, BUT SEEMS TO BE LIMITED TO A COUPLE OF UNITS

The true test of a company is not problems you may have with them or their products, but how they deal with those problems. SU's warranty coverage has been excellent so far and I've been assured that mle will get this resolved also.

mleblond
07-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Talked to SU again today about this, and the theory right now is that this was lacking locktite on the 2 bolts since there is no sign of residue on the two bolts.

Over 800 of these have been sold in the US with very few issues. Seems that I may have received a batch with an issue since the ones sent to me were directly from the manufacturer.

THIS IS NOT A DESIGN FLAW, BUT SEEMS TO BE LIMITED TO A COUPLE OF UNITS

The true test of a company is not problems you may have with them or their products, but how they deal with those problems. SU's warranty coverage has been excellent so far and I've been assured that mle will get this resolved also.

Thanks Pat,
obviously not your fault and yes the SU mount has been out for a very long time. Not sure I have as much faith in it anymore and this would be fixed by the 1 piece mount. SO my review would suggest that over this 2 piece mount to avoid the possibility of the bolts coming loose. There seems to be a dilema in people's mind right now and I figured this could eliminate this for some people. I know the choice is clear in my mind.

P.s. Fobio, the engine would not drop if that mount is gone but would stress the other mounts and possibly drop when those would break too.

Gizzmo_jr
07-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Shit man, that sucks ass! Sorry to hear, you got me scared talking about bolts until I read which ones. I woulda kicked the mechanics ass

Walrus
07-16-2008, 02:16 PM
If it's just the bolts that snapped, I'll gladly take it off your hands and put new bolts in.. unless it is being returned to SU

CanadaGTO
07-16-2008, 02:19 PM
If it's just the bolts that snapped, I'll gladly take it off your hands and put new bolts in.. unless it is being returned to SU

Already shipped :)

Unoriginalusername
07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
are all the mounts from this spring at risk?

silvermist99
07-16-2008, 05:57 PM
on my old vw, I had similar problem with the dogbone mount's bolt, it came loose then snapped in half with part of it being stuck inside the engine. I took my car into a very trusty/old vw mechanic and he said the bolts are not meant to be reused. I didn't listen to him at that time, and guess what happened? he was right my bolt fell back off after a year of driving... :( He gave me some technical explanation due to the amount of stress this bolt gets and metal expanding with heat... Maybe this is the case with mazdas also.

Every new dog bone engine mount install requires a new bolt?

CanadaGTO
07-16-2008, 07:04 PM
This mount comes with new bolts on delivery :)

No UOU, it was a small shipment I got a little while back.

stormin84
07-16-2008, 08:01 PM
This mount comes with new bolts on delivery :)

No UOU, it was a small shipment I got a little while back.

thats good to hear that it was a small shipment..

mleblond
07-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Video is here!
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/mleblond/SU_MOUNT/th_15c44cd9.jpg (http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/mleblond/SU_MOUNT/?action=view&current=15c44cd9.pbr)

Unoriginalusername
07-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Jimmy @ street performance checked mine yesterday and it was in mint condition. i am no longer worried