PDA

View Full Version : After market head unit on mazda3 ashtray

QBA
07-17-2008, 01:00 AM
In my effort to keep the factory radio on my mazda3 2008.5, I was going to go for the JL Cleansweep or Rockford 3Sixty2, but now after reading on the net, so many people unhappy with the audio quality of both products, I will give it another try to find a possible solution to having an after market head unit without replacing the factory radio.

Can an after market radio be install on the ashtray section?

If is so how can both units share the same speakers?

Thanks

Alex

Notorious MS3
07-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Yes a single din deck can fit where the ash tray is located. The the stock head unit is usually given power, but the speaker wire is hooked up to the single din deck.

QBA
07-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks Notorious MS3,

I have been looking on this forum and on google but can't find pictures of the install on the ashtray, do you know of any install pics for that?

Could it be install on the top of the dash and when not in use hidden away like this pic, but just with a regular aftermarket head unit?

http://www.bpr-solutions.net/japanparts.gif

Notorious MS3
07-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Check this out

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=31399.0

A deck looks really good where the ash tray is, and you can reach it very easily. Its the best way to keep the stock look, while having a better deck.

QBA
07-17-2008, 12:18 PM
wow thanks Notorious MS3,

that is what I want sweet, now I need to find me a local installer that could to the same job for me

bubba1983
07-17-2008, 02:24 PM
try our sponsors, they are knowledgeable in this type of install...

QBA
07-17-2008, 03:17 PM
I sure will bubba1983,

I'm in touch with one of them already

QBA
07-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi

I have contact sponsors of this forum and other audio shops in the GTA with the same results. No one knows or wants to install an after market head unit on my Mazda3 2008 ashtray compartment.

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q449/qban/ashtrayHeadunit.jpg

They keep asking me for a kit, but I can't find any ashtray head unit kit for the mazda3.

Any idea what shop or individual can do this job for me?

Thanks

Alex

bubba1983
07-21-2008, 02:48 PM
there is no kit for it, its a totally custom install, and part of your heating ducts have to come out aswell...
lockdown used to do them, i don't know if they still do it now....
try audio heaven aswell.....sponsors on this board DO know how to do it, your probably just asking the wrong people.

QBA
07-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Thanks bubba1983,

I called one of your sponsors and he is going to do it :)

selective sound
07-28-2008, 11:54 AM
We have done this mod many times for Mazda 3's.

bubba1983
07-28-2008, 12:06 PM
^^ seee

BAM BAM
10-22-2008, 05:05 PM
http://www.bpr-solutions.net/japanparts.gif

does anyone know where i can get this mod done?? and how much it would cost?

thanks

Noisy Crow
10-22-2008, 05:32 PM
does anyone know where i can get this mod done?? and how much it would cost?

thanks

Five bucks for the sticker. :chuckle

Seriously, it is a sticker. If you want one check our sponsors and see one of them is willing to make one up for you.

BAM BAM
10-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Five bucks for the sticker. :chuckle

Seriously, it is a sticker. If you want one check our sponsors and see one of them is willing to make one up for you.

im not talking about the sticker on the lcd... i meant the mod of the nav/dvd player in the top of the dash... if u watch the gif.. maybe i didnt post it right :(

but if u look above at the gif... the sliding compartment with the nav/dvd player thats what i want done. anyone know who could do it? or how much?

Noisy Crow
10-23-2008, 08:41 AM
im not talking about the sticker on the lcd... i meant the mod of the nav/dvd player in the top of the dash... if u watch the gif.. maybe i didnt post it right :(

but if u look above at the gif... the sliding compartment with the nav/dvd player thats what i want done. anyone know who could do it? or how much?

There are couple of people on the board that have done this. If you search for "nav unit dash" you should get some hits. Some people have put in the motorized pop-up screen with a carputer hidden somewhere, others have gone with the JDM slide open top and fitted a unit such as the CoolNavi GPS/Media player. Either way you are looking at about $700 up.

BAM BAM
10-24-2008, 12:26 PM
There are couple of people on the board that have done this. If you search for "nav unit dash" you should get some hits. Some people have put in the motorized pop-up screen with a carputer hidden somewhere, others have gone with the JDM slide open top and fitted a unit such as the CoolNavi GPS/Media player. Either way you are looking at about $700 up.

yea, i already have a dvd headunit from my old car i want to put in, and i did some research, thanks for the advice noisy crow!

ChrisMcLean
11-25-2011, 07:24 PM

How much does this cost? i have the amp and subs ready to go but the stock deck is balls especially since i cant control Anything!

lprince
11-25-2011, 07:41 PM
How much does this cost? i have the amp and subs ready to go but the stock deck is balls especially since i cant control Anything!

Selective Sound quoted me $150 for labour, but you will lose your footwell heating in the front and in the back.

ChrisMcLean
11-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Selective Sound quoted me $150 for labour, but you will lose your footwell heating in the front and in the back.

Im a hardass for how my stereo sounds so I may have to get it done. thanks!

onecoolloser
12-01-2011, 03:35 PM

This!

I know selective sound does it

onecoolloser
12-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Im a hardass for how my stereo sounds so I may have to get it done. thanks!

Me too..has to be perfect