PDA

View Full Version : What is EGR delete?

Fobio
07-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Hey guys...I'm getting ready to install the inlet tube and was wondering if I should do the EGR delete while I add an OCC...any opinions? pros and cons?

zoomzoom33
07-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Are you doing the inlet install yourself? Be VERY careful when you take off the small tubing ( cant remem. name of part ) I broke off the nipple on the oem inlet pipe and could have did the same for the other side. I'm lucky to have not broken off the other nipple that has the wire harness attached to it.

Unoriginalusername
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
egr?

Fobio
07-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Exhaust Gas Recirculation

mleblond
07-23-2008, 04:10 PM
lol Not sure what this does either :chuckle

Fobio
07-23-2008, 06:07 PM
it's basically the fitting that allows some of the exhaust gases to be sent back thru the intake for emissions purposes...

Reference: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/mazdaspeed-3-how-tos/7216-how-ms3-catch-can-install-tons-pics-2.html

Unoriginalusername
07-23-2008, 06:14 PM
it's basically the fitting that allows some of the exhaust gases to be sent back thru the intake for emissions purposes...

Reference: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/mazdaspeed-3-how-tos/7216-how-ms3-catch-can-install-tons-pics-2.html

what does removing it do? help emissions?

Walrus
07-23-2008, 06:28 PM
The opposite.

Fobio
07-23-2008, 08:55 PM
what does removing it do? help emissions?

lol...no...

The opposite.

not necessarily...part of my concern is exhaust blow-by...esp while tracking, during high rpm operation, gasoline seeps into the oil and 1. dilutes the oil 2. contirbute to the overall amount of liquid (oil and gas)...this extra volume, like in a typical situation where the oil is overfilled can get back into the intake and gumming up you intake tract including your precious intercoolers...

As such...having an oil catch can will catch some of this crap before it makes it back into the the intake and also removing the EGR has been known to improve that situation as well (ie. smoking turbo's)

I'm not an expert in these matters and that is why I ask...particularly inregards to emissions and legalities of this...I don't want to do anything illegal...but I do want to ask, as perhaps there are experts in here that knows about this...

Since I've been reading, it appears to be something beyond my expertise or skill level to do anyway...but I'm still interested in knowing more about this from some local experts as this appears to be commonly done with FI/turbo engines...

WeatherB
07-23-2008, 09:29 PM
I've seen a post somewhere on the forums indicating that venting the EGR of the crankcase to air is illegal...

Fobio
07-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I've seen a post somewhere on the forums indicating that venting the EGR of the crankcase to air is illegal...

Yes...that I know...and I was not talking about venting...but I could be wrong....my understanding is that using a bakplate, you basically seal off the EGR...

I was also asking about the "venting" issue with oil catch can's and apparently, as a long as it's a sealed "loop" then there's no venting...

WeatherB
07-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Yes...that I know...and I was not talking about venting...but I could be wrong....my understanding is that using a bakplate, you basically seal off the EGR...

I was also asking about the "venting" issue with oil catch can's and apparently, as a long as it's a sealed "loop" then there's no venting...

Oh okay, don't see why that would be illegal in that case. Thought you were planning on hooking up a tiny air filter to the crankcase EGR hole.

Fobio
07-23-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm hoping that some experts in the US will show me the way, but you know they can do all kinds of stuff down there we can't...

and since there aren't much interest or experience with this...well, ADMITTED expertise or experience on a public forum anyway, I'm guessing either it's a bad idea or it's illegal AND a bad idea... :chuckle

that tiny air filter thing...now I understand what you're talking about exactly by "venting"...I wouldn't want to do that even if it's stealth...I'm not doing anything to my car to get it impounded...

Unoriginalusername
07-23-2008, 10:22 PM
whats to be gained with this anyways?

Fobio
07-23-2008, 10:28 PM
my turbo smoked cuz my exhaust/oil got sucked back into my intake...this happens in minute amounts to a daily driver...could be a little bad when I track...

this will eliminate one of the sources of this crap going back into my intake...but it's gotta be done proper...

WeatherB
07-23-2008, 10:44 PM
I think venting the EGR also gets you a couple of extra HP as well... At least it does on the regular 3, but I wouldn't bother especially when it's illegal.

mleblond
07-23-2008, 10:46 PM
my turbo smoked cuz my exhaust/oil got sucked back into my intake...this happens in minute amounts to a daily driver...could be a little bad when I track...

this will eliminate one of the sources of this crap going back into my intake...but it's gotta be done proper...

My car smokes too when I track. I will follow this as I may do the same.

Pilzz
07-23-2008, 11:41 PM
I think venting the EGR also gets you a couple of extra HP as well... At least it does on the regular 3, but I wouldn't bother especially when it's illegal.

+1

Fobio
07-24-2008, 12:11 AM
I have no intention of venting the EGR...I wouldn't want to drive around in a car like that anyway...can you imagine the smell?

I think that's what Jimmy talked about when I initially asked...I know it's a $600 ticket...and prolyl some other shit...so I woulsn't bother...

From what I have read and somewhat recollect, EGR is there for emissions as it encourages some of the unspent/unburnt gases to have another go at combustion...so venting this is an old racer's trick...I wonder how much of a diff this makes in our cars...since everybody's pushing envelopes anyways, why not give this a go, but ONLY IF IT'S NOT ILLEGAL! I dare to say backplating/blocking it off have the same effect as a high-flow cat...

My only and sole concern is for track days...it scares the old folks when you battle them and they see the car smoking...I go with a daily driver and that's all it'll be... a sleeper with a quick driver...

From all my driving on this car, it's pretty much bulletproof...this is not to gain a few HP...I am more than happy with the car's power...I just want to eliminate any source of exhaust blow-back into my intake to keep the car healthy, and when you think about it, if I'm NOT venting, it's actuall better for the environment...

Walrus
07-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Let's bring the discussion back over here.

When I said 'the opposite', I meant blocking the EGR system will increase your emissions. One thing it does at cruise is lower combustion temperatures, which lowers NOx emissions.

Fobio
07-24-2008, 12:59 PM
yeah...I figured that if I blocked it off, it can't be much worse than a high-flow cat anyway, but then again I have no epxerience with an EGR-delete and emissions testing...but I figure it's not something I'll have to worry about as long as I'm not venting and creating gasoline odours wherever I drive...

Walrus
07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
It may cause you to fail emissions test, due to high NOx readings.

streetwerks
07-27-2008, 10:23 PM
doing an egr block off doesnt really get you any serious gains. the main reason for the egr (exhaust gas recerc.) is to introduce exhaust gases back into the intake to be reburned. the main problem when doin the block off plate is an engine light. the egr is monitored on a constant basis. if the pcm output is asking the egr to open and the map sensor does not see a change in vaccuum the engine light is illuminated.

Fobio
07-28-2008, 12:48 AM
^^^ thanks streetwerks! the CEL bit is really helpful...in fact, I'm now looking to install a catch can instead of a backplate between the EGR and the intake tract. so seems like the 2-catch can sol'n is inevitable.

Shen
12-05-2011, 03:43 PM
I know this thread is old, so what's the final verdict? to delete or not to delete?

breakfasteatre
12-05-2011, 04:34 PM
delete

CelestSpeed3
12-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Delete the egr, use the ap to block the code. When etest comes put the egr back, then remove after test.

loki
03-13-2013, 01:43 PM
If the check engine light doesn't come back on... Maybe I'm missing something here - does it actually make any sense that you could run a big turbo with supporting mods and just flash a stock tune on it for a couple days and expect not to get a CEL at any point?

you'll get a CEL

let's move the e-test discussion to the e-test threads please.

cSPEED
03-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Car throws this cel once a month or so (clean EGR), I clear it and it goes away. Car operates fine.

Guess I should probably delete it though...

loki
03-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Car throws this cel once a month or so (clean EGR), I clear it and it goes away. Car operates fine.

Guess I should probably delete it though...

or clean your EGR

cSPEED
03-13-2013, 02:00 PM
If I'm going to go and clean it, why wouldn't I just spend 20$ to delete it?

Unless I'm missing something?

loki
03-13-2013, 02:26 PM
If I'm going to go and clean it, why wouldn't I just spend 20$ to delete it?

Unless I'm missing something?

you need EGR in place to pass omissions.

Yours is throwing a code while it's in place. If you were to delete it in the meantime, sure it will solve your problem. But when you have to reinstall it for the testing, you will still be throwing codes.

you dig?

cSPEED
03-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Dug.

The plan would definitely be to clean it before deleting it. In the emissions thread though, some are saying you can pass it with the delete as long as you aren't throwing codes.

loki
03-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Dug.

The plan would definitely be to clean it before deleting it. In the emissions thread though, some are saying you can pass it with the delete as long as you aren't throwing codes.

sure, but do you really know when your car is going to throw a code or not?

You can block the EGR code via ATR. But say you book your etest 2 days from now, so you unmarry the AP. Do you really know that between now and your etest you will not throw a code?

MajesticBlueNTO
03-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Dug.

not sure how true that is.... your car has "Readyness" counters for varying systems, the EGR System being one of them. They all have to be "COMPLETE" to pass the new emissions test.

If the EGR System is "Not Complete" or "Not Ready", as it would be with an EGR delete, it won't necessarily throw a code; however, show up to an OBD2 emission test and you will fail.

This is also why you can't just clear codes with an OBD2 scanner (or unplug the battery to clear the codes) and show up to an OBD2 emissions test and expect to pass because you don't have a CEL. The Readyness counters complete after a certain number of drive cycles and conditions.

cSPEED
03-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Ah got it. Thanks for the heads up.

I guess it would just make more sense to undelete it before going for emissions then. I have 2 years though (did mine in Dec) so I have time!

MajesticBlueNTO
03-13-2013, 02:44 PM
if you have an Android phone, you can get a Bluetooth OBD2 device and download Torque and read the Readyness of your car:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0T6Q4sWt8KU/UUDIjirJB5I/AAAAAAAABds/cjA3p_x3IUE/s800/Screenshot_2012-10-26-09-41-46.png

cSPEED
03-13-2013, 02:46 PM
That's nuts! There's a similar app for the iPhone but don't think it does that. Never tested it but from the reviews I read it updates too slow to use as a gauge so I decided against buying a bluetooth OBD II for the sake of screwing around with it. Good to know though

MajesticBlueNTO
03-13-2013, 03:31 PM
That's nuts! There's a similar app for the iPhone but don't think it does that. Never tested it but from the reviews I read it updates too slow to use as a gauge so I decided against buying a bluetooth OBD II for the sake of screwing around with it. Good to know though

This one >OBDLink MX (http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/smart-phone/obdlink-mx.html)< doesn't work with iPhone as it is a Bluetooth dongle but it is faster than ELM327 chip-based OBD2 dongles... someone on MSF is getting 70 PIDs per second (Parameter IDs) max in Torque on a Nexus 7 with this...

I have the >PLX Kiwi Bluetooth (http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSSTBLUETOOTH)< which is ELM based, and am getting 15 PIDs/second max in Torque.

For iPhone, there's the Wifi version (http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSST2WIFI)

... or, for all platforms, wait for the Engine Peripheral Control on Steroids (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?69512-*MSpeed*-Engine-Peripheral-Control-on-Steroids) :)

KING1307
03-14-2013, 11:06 PM
does anybody know what size of plug it is you can use to do this egr delete?

pwdunmore
03-15-2013, 09:54 AM
does anybody know what size of plug it is you can use to do this egr delete?

Just buy one of the kits that JBR sells, they are only $20. Offers a little peace of mind that the parts were designed to plug the EGR system because its a plate and a plug.

KING1307
03-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Just buy one of the kits that JBR sells, they are only $20. Offers a little peace of mind that the parts were designed to plug the EGR system because its a plate and a plug.

Problem is I have the plate and not the plug, hard press justifying buying a $20 buck kit for just the plug

Polish_Eagle
03-18-2013, 02:00 PM
I scanned my car and even with my mods and my lean cruise tune I have all emission monitors as "PASS".

CelestSpeed3
03-24-2013, 05:56 PM
I scanned my car and even with my mods and my lean cruise tune I have all emission monitors as "PASS".

Do you have any codes disabled in your tune ?

Polish_Eagle
03-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Do you have any codes disabled in your tune ?

Some but not many.

loki
03-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Some but not many.

Can't block codes

CelestSpeed3
03-24-2013, 10:02 PM
I've been curious to know if disabled codes affects the readiness monitors. I've heard conflicting information. I just don't have a tester anymore to check.

Polish_Eagle
03-24-2013, 11:58 PM
I've been curious to know if disabled codes affects the readiness monitors. I've heard conflicting information. I just don't have a tester anymore to check.

No issues for me. I have the typical downpipe codes disabled and everything is all fine with the readiness monitors.

loki
03-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Will have to wait until someone does emissions test with ap installed

mikey32235
03-25-2013, 09:57 AM
ill do mine tonight if my mechanic is in to do the emissions test. he said it should be fine aslong as the light isn't on.. so ill post results then.

Fack_Dude
03-25-2013, 10:14 AM
ill do mine tonight if my mechanic is in to do the emissions test. he said it should be fine aslong as the light isn't on.. so ill post results then.

And I am ****ing superman.

BlueStreak
03-25-2013, 12:42 PM
And I am ****ing superman.

I guess Superman got sick of Lois Lane? ;)

CelestSpeed3
03-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks Mikey

Fack_Dude
03-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks Mikey

If he has to spend 30 bucks he won't do it. Lol

mikey32235
03-25-2013, 03:43 PM
If he has to spend 30 bucks he won't do it. Lol

lol @ss... well there is a way of checking on the computer to see if all monitors aer ready or not without actually doing to full test. im at work now ill keep u all posted haha

loki
03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
lol @ss... well there is a way of checking on the computer to see if all monitors aer ready or not without actually doing to full test. im at work now ill keep u all posted haha

post results in the emissions test discussion thread not here

mikey32235
03-25-2013, 07:35 PM
results posted here http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?67388-Emission-Testing-changing-2013-to-OBDII-only&p=1066456#post1066456

Mr Wilson
03-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks Mikey.