PDA

View Full Version : Tweak to the no-edit rule

Noisy Crow
08-08-2008, 05:18 PM
I am setting up another GB. It would be very nice if I could edit the first post in order keep the status of the GB cleanly in one place.

The current config turns off editing after 12-hours. Since most GBs take more than 12 hours to happen, that pretty much means that info is going to be scattered through the thread, or constantly reposting stuff to keep everything together.

So, I am proposing that the 12-hour rule not apply to the first post in a thread. That is, the first post is always editable, and for the rest of the posts in the thread editing is only allowed for the 12 hours.

Unoriginalusername
08-08-2008, 05:23 PM
the mod team was having a meeting on this to review potential improvements this week i think

mit-gee-mui
08-08-2008, 05:56 PM
The problem with this is that I THINK that the majority of posts that get edited are indeed "first posts".

I, too, want to be able to edit my posts, since I like to group all my links into one post so that they are all together and for neatness sake. When there is an update, I now have to put the new links in a separate post, which means they are scattered all over the place, to me at least.:loco

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.:pop

cwp_sedan
08-08-2008, 06:12 PM
I don't think they have that much control over it, but I may be wrong. I have done a GB too as well as other and have had to PM an admin to have them update the list in the first post. It is annoying for both parties but what can you do. Hopefully something will be figured out soon.

Noisy Crow
08-08-2008, 06:17 PM
I don't think they have that much control over it, but I may be wrong. I have done a GB too as well as other and have had to PM an admin to have them update the list in the first post. It is annoying for both parties but what can you do. Hopefully something will be figured out soon.

The vBulletin code would need to be tweaked. It is possible that there are existing patches that would be useful in addressing the issue....

S.F.W.
08-08-2008, 06:21 PM
I'd like to be able to tweak the edit permissions. The challenge faced is they aren't set by section, but rather globally for all items.
If anyone has experience with VB, and is willing to help, I'll accept the help.

1flycdnM3
08-09-2008, 08:00 PM
I like the idea of editing first posts as well. great for setting up meets and classifieds section. Also, i tend to "double-post" occassionally too, mainly because my internet is slow and sometimes even double-post threads so being able to DELETE threads would be nice too (only your own ofcourse) :)

dj_chinaman2097
10-04-2008, 09:30 AM
It would be nice if I could edit my member's ride thread again. I prefer to keep new pictures in the OP and just link to the album of the older ones.

S.F.W.
10-04-2008, 11:07 AM
It would be nice if I could edit my member's ride thread again. I prefer to keep new pictures in the OP and just link to the album of the older ones.
ok, I think I may have fixed this, please give it a shot.

ziegs2020
10-10-2008, 03:49 AM
Still doesn't work.

S.F.W.
10-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Still doesn't work.
I only changed the permissions for members with 100+ posts..for now.

dj_chinaman2097
10-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Hey Ami, is there a time limit on editing the members' ride thread? I just checked now and there's no edit button on my posts. I have 350+ posts.

McGuyver_3
10-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Hey Ami,
just wanted to know why we changed the edit rule in posting? I have had some posts that need some updating because the first post is incorrect because of my error such as my highbeam mod. There is no way for me to tell people to disregard the first post and go to the second. I am worried that if someone tries it the 1st way and there are problems it could lead to damage to a car. I revised it a few posts down but thats a few posts down. Normally people see the first thing and think that that is right. Personally i think the edit rule shoulod be reinstated with certain limits.
Thats an example and as of today that little issue still exists. I hope you understand as to what i am trying to get at
thanks

Dan

S.F.W.
10-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Dan - we changed the rule because we had several situations of people posting to say they received horrible treatment from a dealer or business, or wherever. Then once the situation was resolved, editing all the information from the posts. This does not help the board.
For your situation, if you PM me, the posts you want changed, and the info you want to replace, I will make the changes for you.

Ogata
02-28-2009, 01:53 AM
Is this an SQL thing or Scripting error?

S.F.W.
02-28-2009, 02:09 AM
Is this an SQL thing or Scripting error?
is what an error?