PDA

View Full Version : odometer light dimming issue?

deedotpee
08-08-2008, 06:24 PM
So I am in my garage getting ready to turn off the car. I raise my power windows and I noticed that when I raise both my front power windows, the odometer lights dim a little bit. Is this normal? Does the power windows draw that much power?

cwp_sedan
08-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Yes it's normal. :)

shootemup
08-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Does the power windows draw that much power?

Yes they do...

It's normal.

dumpbear
08-10-2008, 09:02 AM
I was out on a dark country road last night and I raised my windows when at a stop light and noticed that the headlights dim ever so slightly too!

5_Alive
08-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Weird.. I TRIED to notice this type of issue.. the Protege5 used to do this to me all the time.. even with my dome lights on, I haven't had this happen to me.. (mebbe I got lucky).. don't wanna jinks it, but w/e..

but yea its normal operation because your drawing power..

steph
08-10-2008, 10:21 AM
In my car I have a problem with the odometer and trip numbers flickering off and on or just not showing at all. I'm actually getting the odometer display replaced this week by avante.

mazdathree
08-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I havent noticed that yet but will try it out....the power windows a probably drawing a lot of power from the battery. Its the same effect that you would notice in a house/appartment - dimming of lights in the room when the AC turns on.

Olestra
08-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Try raising all four windows at the same time and see what happens to your lights. =)

mazdathree
08-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Try raising all four windows at the same time and see what happens to your lights. =)

with the reason given in the thread for the cause, I guess the whole dash board will have a black out!! :)

Flagrum_3
08-11-2008, 02:40 PM
So I am in my garage getting ready to turn off the car. I raise my power windows and I noticed that when I raise both my front power windows, the odometer lights dim a little bit. Is this normal? Does the power windows draw that much power?

Well from reading 'most' of the responses here I would say I'm against the grain on this one!!, as I notice no dimming whatsoever!. I've never noticed it before and since your post I've payed close attention to it several times and still notice no dimming, even with the sound system going, fan going, lights on etc; and that's closing 2 windows at a time, haven't tried 4 windows yet, that'll be next :chuckle

Is it possible you have the air/cond compressor running? check what position your climate mode selector switch is on....that's the only thing I can think of that would put enough strain on your system to dim the lights.(This is assuming all is well with your electrical), otherwise I would suspect a problem somewhere.....IMO.

Oops strike that just noticed in your sig you have HIDs, ....there's another reason ;-)

_3

Noisy Crow
08-11-2008, 03:43 PM
I tried it out on my car. I has been sitting since lunch, after a short run. I turned on the headlight and then rolled all four windows up and down at the same time, with no apparent dimming. Now this is daytime, so maybe it would be visible at night, but there was nary a flicker.

For those with the problem... weak battery or weak alternator maybe?

06Touring3
08-11-2008, 03:44 PM
my lights dim just putting the windows up....1 at at time....the dim is REALLY REALLY REALLY slight though...REALLY..........

i would +1 for it being normal as i've noticed it on every car i've ever owned

mazdathree
08-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I tried it out on my car. I has been sitting since lunch, after a short run. I turned on the headlight and then rolled all four windows up and down at the same time, with no apparent dimming. Now this is daytime, so maybe it would be visible at night, but there was nary a flicker.

For those with the problem... weak battery or weak alternator maybe?

probably a weak battery....I havent had the chance to check mine out. I'll try it when its dark outside and my headlights are on.

mazdathree
08-11-2008, 11:09 PM

ok I tried it today (night time) and no dimming. I tried it with all the 4 windows closing simultaneously. I dont have HIDs though.

Its probably a weak battery or the power windows are just drawing more than nominal power. Since other club members have had the same problem than its probably normal.

Even though this could be normal, if its bothering you than there is no harm taking it to the dealer....

hope that helps....goodluck

Noisy Crow
08-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Another possibility:

If you have had your car undercoated, and they did inside the doors, it is possible the undercoating stuff has gummed up the window mechanism, making it harder to lift the windows.

BTW, a battery is only good for about 5 years... should

deedotpee
08-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Oops strike that just noticed in your sig you have HIDs, ....there's another reason ;-) _3

Thats most likely the reason. My HIDs just turned on as I enter the garage and drew alot of power from the battery

mazdathree
08-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Thats most likely the reason. My HIDs just turned on as I enter the garage and drew alot of power from the battery

which HIDs do you have? I mean what brand?

Fuman
08-12-2008, 02:47 AM
Just tried it on the way to get some food.
4 windows going up, HID (prolumen, from 2 years ago), Fogs, music on normal level.
The lights didn't dim.

I'll try it with all the interior lights on tomorrow night.