PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted on installing Clarion speakers

Noisy Crow
08-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey guys,

I picked up the Clarion speakers Selective Sound has on special:

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=325303&postcount=2

Any specific advice on installing them? For example, the cross-over has 0db and -3db outputs for the tweets... which one makes more sense in our cars? Do I need to shave the plastic ring off of the back of the speaker grill, or is there enough clearance for the new speaker and the adapter ring? (Shaving it does seem to be the norm...)

Thanks,
Rick

Noisy Crow
08-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Bump! Surely *SOMEONE* has rabid opinions on this! :chuckle

dentinger
08-16-2008, 05:39 PM
i had mine professionally installed (alpine type R components), and they said they set the tweeters to the lowest setting, and it sounds great to me.

Flagrum_3
08-16-2008, 07:09 PM
With the silk tweeters you could get away with leaving the setting at 0db, I set mine at -3db and they sound great to me, its comes down to personal taste and you can always experiment to see which sounds better to you.

As for the speaker grills that also depends on the adaptor you got, it states in the link you posted, that its basically plug and play, so you shouldn't have to do any shaving....I used home made adaptors and had to shave a bit off because the adaptors were a little thick.....you just have to try it!!

_3

Noisy Crow
08-16-2008, 07:40 PM
With the silk tweeters you could get away with leaving the setting at 0db, I set mine at -3db and they sound great to me, its comes down to personal taste and you can always experiment to see which sounds better to you.

As for the speaker grills that also depends on the adaptor you got, it states in the link you posted, that its basically plug and play, so you shouldn't have to do any shaving....I used home made adaptors and had to shave a bit off because the adaptors were a little thick.....you just have to try it!!

_3

Thanks! The adaptors with the kit are about ¼" thick... I guess I'll just have to see what the difference is compared to stock. As far as the tweeters... I'm just hoping to avoid having to pull off the panels again to change cross-over connection. I suppose I could mount cross-over under the dash, but that means I would have to get wires for two sets up speakers through the molex connector....

In any case, I'll let everyone know how it goes and take some pics if need be.

Flagrum_3
08-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks! The adaptors with the kit are about ¼" thick... I guess I'll just have to see what the difference is compared to stock. As far as the tweeters... I'm just hoping to avoid having to pull off the panels again to change cross-over connection. I suppose I could mount cross-over under the dash, but that means I would have to get wires for two sets up speakers through the molex connector....

In any case, I'll let everyone know how it goes and take some pics if need be.

When it comes to setting the tweeters don't bother installing the door panels right away just set it up, crossover can fit in the door behind where the armrest is, and give it a listen with both settings, play the same tune for both trials and you should hear the difference....once you've decided which you prefer then close her up :)

_3