PDA

View Full Version : Rust on used car

matt9
08-17-2008, 11:34 AM
So my friend just bought a 2003 White Protege 5 for $9500. It's in quite good condition except some rust starting to show - a couple surface spots here and there from rock chips probably which don't seem to be a big deal - what I am more concerned about is there seems to be a fine layer of rust around the fenders (around the wheels) and in between the sideskirts and body. Is it worth bringing it in somewhere to get professional removed as best as possible?

Also, the dealership is offering a rust-proofing package for $500 that has a warranty of 5 years (the warranty claims that the rust will not expand any farther than it is now). It involves some sort of teflon spray (which requires a checkup every couple years) and an electronic module to prevent surface rust. He was saying that it's the same sort of package they would give on brand new cars which they give a life-time warranty on their cars for rust and that they are MUCH better than any 'annual' sprays. Considering yearly sprays are costing upwards of $100/year, I don't see much different in the cost.

Any comments/suggestions would be welcome.

Donutz
08-17-2008, 05:01 PM
On the P5, check around the bottom of the rear windshield as well. 5 year warranty on the rustproof sounds good. I had a P5 that I bought used (was my first car) and the dealership would not sell me rust proofing. From the perspective of the warranty, what happens if the rust keeps expanding?

matt9
08-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Everyone seems to have completely different opinions when it comes to rust... :(

kaval
08-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Get it fixed soon. My buddy has a P5, and oh man, he had to tear the ENTIRE car apart and use POR15 to get rid of all the rust. He sprays the car twice a year too, and still has a ridiculous amount of rust. Save yourself the headache. Or just drive it through winter, and get it fixed after.