PDA

View Full Version : where is the cheapest place to buy OEM (or eqivalent) brake pads?

kingrukus
08-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi:
I am looking for OEM brake pads (or brake pads which are relatively quiet and dust free) for my girlfriend's cars. I am not looking for Hawk, Endless or some other high performance brand, just something that stops as good as OEM and has minimal dust/noise.

Any suggestions?

I spoke with Mazda of Toronto and they quoted me $100.00 for the rears and $85.00 for the fronts, which doesn't make sense for me (in my experience fronts were always more expensive).

Thanks

silvermist99
08-18-2008, 04:50 PM
did you mention the club TM3 discount?

supershyguy sells hawk HPS for $175. The rears also cost more.
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27029
they don't have too good inital bite tho from what i have experienced in the past.

kingrukus
08-18-2008, 04:53 PM
did you mention the club TM3 discount?

supershyguy sells hawk HPS for $175. The rears also cost more.
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27029
they don't have too good inital bite tho from what i have experienced in the past.

I did mention that I was part of the Toronto Mazda 3 club, he didn't seem to enthusiastic though.

As for the Hawks, I am definitely not getting those for her. I had them on my old Maxima with 300zx TT big brakes (HPS I believe, but I cannot remember), and the initial bite was definitely not good when cold...once they get hot however they stop very well.

silvermist99
08-18-2008, 05:00 PM
my old Maxima with 300zx TT big brakes (HPS I believe, but I cannot remember), and the initial bite was definitely not good when coldbut that maxima was ABUSED by its previous owner lol. My brakes lost a good bit of inital bite after lapping. The HPS wasn't that bad on maximas, from what I remember it was still better then stock but wasn't as sharp as pads like raybesto quiet stops. It does get a bit dusty too.

I recall some members here using EBC greenstuff too. seems to be popular for the ones who don't track their cars. Maybe others can chime in.

kingrukus
08-18-2008, 05:02 PM
but that maxima was ABUSED by its previous owner lol. My brakes lost a good bit of inital bite after lapping. The HPS wasn't that bad on maximas, from what I remember it was still better then stock but wasn't as sharp as pads like raybesto quiet stops. It does get a bit dusty too.

I recall some members here using EBC greenstuff too. seems to be popular for the ones who don't track their cars. Maybe others can chime in.

Oh crap, I didn't realise it was you Dennis!

Any idea on where to buy aftermarket pads for cheap? Not trying to break her account.

OT: I need to find a Civic winter beater ASAP

silvermist99
08-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Oh crap, I didn't realise it was you Dennis!

Any idea on where to buy aftermarket pads for cheap? Not trying to break her account.

OT: I need to find a Civic winter beater ASAP

its me mr philip.

Isn't under $200 for front & rears pretty cheap? I recall the nissan pads costing like $130 for front OEm for a tiny little maxima brake pad.

Actually not much people recommend the green stuff, do a search on it here.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17492 People seems to like the HPS.

OT reply: buy a mazda3 winter beater.

since we are OT: I got my JL installed!

FLIPDADY
08-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Parts pricing is never uniform no matter where you go unless it's Canadian Tire or Parts Source. The rear pads cost more than the fronts probably because they are made in Europe instead of Japan.

06Touring3
08-19-2008, 09:03 AM
i have greenstuff pads....i like them except the rears are taking a LOOOOOONG time to break in and still squeal (been about a month or so now)