PDA

View Full Version : TR650cxi installed.question..

silvermist99
08-19-2008, 07:05 AM
I got JL front & rear installed in my car! On my deck's default settings the setup did not sound too good. The highs and mids were very clear but a bit too strong, it hurted my ear after playing 10mins. I know I have no sub and won't get that boom, but the things I was listening to didn't sound as smooth as they can be compare to other cars with factory radio i have been in. Especially the benz c class! that thing's stereo blow the doors off most other cars.

I adjusted the EQ and turned down the highs a lot and the mids down too. Now it sounds a bit better without hurting my ear. But it sounds pretty stock like at this setting?!

I heard aftermarket stereo from a few friends before, I recall most of their speakers sounding like mine too at default settings. IE. real clear and high pitch highs & mids. But it sounds like its missing some noise from the lower-mids part. Not sure how to describe this because I'm not an audio person at all, but what settings do you guys run with your deck?? Do you all like that really high pitched high & mid noise?

Are all aftermarket speakers like that?

Flagrum_3
08-19-2008, 08:21 AM
What setting did you settle for with the tweeter crossover?....just curious!

Silk dome tweeters should never hurt the ears in my experience, as that was the main reason I went for the VR's, I always found metalized tweeters to be too harsh!! while silk very smooth and easy on the ears.Anyways, you'll probably find that most speakers will give you lots of mids and highs because they are basically designed to run with subs nowadays, so lowest frequencies might be 40-70Hz...plus the fact that the stock headunit is only pushing about 18 watts 'True' RMS you can't expect the woofers to drive very well at the lower frequencies....there's also the stock HU factory pre-equalization which I believe tends to emphasize the mids and highs, I guess to compensate for placement.

You could always try some sound deadening behind the speakers and if your tweeters are not already, I'd set them to the lowest db.Set your bass up a few no's, your mid's down a few no's, then play with the treb to get your desired sound...I found back when I still had the stock system I would run it in that fashion.

_3

TheProfessor
08-19-2008, 09:07 AM
I think Flagrum covered all of the important questions. I also wouldn't go as far as to compare the factory stereo in an economy car (Mazda3) with that found in an entry level luxury car (Benz).

silvermist99
08-19-2008, 05:22 PM
What setting did you settle for with the tweeter crossover?....just curious!

Silk dome tweeters should never hurt the ears in my experience, as that was the main reason I went for the VR's, I always found metalized tweeters to be too harsh!! while silk very smooth and easy on the ears.Anyways, you'll probably find that most speakers will give you lots of mids and highs because they are basically designed to run with subs nowadays, so lowest frequencies might be 40-70Hz...plus the fact that the stock headunit is only pushing about 18 watts 'True' RMS you can't expect the woofers to drive very well at the lower frequencies....there's also the stock HU factory pre-equalization which I believe tends to emphasize the mids and highs, I guess to compensate for placement.

You could always try some sound deadening behind the speakers and if your tweeters are not already, I'd set them to the lowest db.Set your bass up a few no's, your mid's down a few no's, then play with the treb to get your desired sound...I found back when I still had the stock system I would run it in that fashion.

_3
sorry I'm a total audio newbie don't know anything about sound.

tweeter crossover setting? I got these installed, didn't do it myself. But are these only adjustable on the CSI version? I got cxi which is coaxial.

I'm not running on stock deck, I got a pioneer D3 which is 22rms x4 powering the TR coaxial speakers. There are many audio settings on this deck that I'm not too sure how to use, It has adjustable EQ, SLA, sound effect & SLA.
I turned down the mids and highs a bit and kept the lows somewhat high. I will play around with the settings more.

Flagrum_3
08-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Dohh, I somehow got the impression you had purchased components and had the stock HU, anyways that may answer the question has with the co-axials I don't believe you can adjust the freq for the tweeters and its possible you have the eq all messed up on the HU, mind you 22 watts RMS is not killer either...If you can make it to the La Paloma meet tom'rw night we can try setting the eq and other settings on your unit and see what happens.

_3