PDA

View Full Version : Stock shift knobs

blackspeed3
09-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Just a question for you guys...who's stock shift knob is scratched and or pitted to all hell? I'm already on my second knob from the dealer and am going back to the dealer for another one. I got this one replaced (warranty cuz i'm picky) a month ago with one scratch and I'm going back for warranty again. Is it not possible to stay unscratched? lol I'll just replace them until I can't anymore.

Zoom Zoom Boy
09-09-2008, 11:23 AM
I have a 2008.5 that is a few weeks old and I already have noticed some minor pitting and scratches on the shift knob. I think it was there when i picked it up, but i didn't notice it till later. Probably occurred when someone else took the car for a test drive before me and they likely had a ring on their right hand that scruffs the shift knob.

My old Protege used to do this too when i had a ring on my right hand. My wife's 3 has a hard plastic, chrome coloured insert on the shift knob that doesn't do this. The material used on the Speed3 shift knob is more similiar to my Protege and looks like it has a teflon coating around the metal parts that will scrath and pit with use.

Do you have a ring on your right hand that could be scratching the shift knob?

RX9
09-09-2008, 11:37 AM
i bought the CF speed knob when i got the car. the stock knob is still brand new and i can even find it.:chuckle

blackspeed3
09-09-2008, 03:30 PM
no rings no watches...nothing. Just a cheap piece I suppose

5_Alive
09-09-2008, 04:00 PM
yea the stock shift knob is garbage.. i'm not even going to complain to my dealer because chances are they will say its wear and tear.. or cosmetic.. so w/e.. mine is scratched and pitted as well..

Zoom Zoom Boy
09-09-2008, 06:08 PM
well, look on the bright side, an aftermarket shift knob constitutes a mod after all... :)

cosic
09-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Mine came brand new like shit. Who replaced this under warranty?! I've always wanted a new one

rmcat
09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Dealer will replace this under warranty???
I bet my dealer will laugh at me if I go in and say I need a new one for free...:whoa

blackspeed3
09-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Mine came brand new like shit. Who replaced this under warranty?! I've always wanted a new one

Mississauga Mazda. But now the parts guy wants to "see" my one I got replaced before he says OK. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

blackspeed3
09-11-2008, 12:12 PM
And the lady I went through originally isn't there anymore. It was service who put the request through

craigrodrigues88
09-15-2008, 01:15 PM
oh man, if we can get new ones that would be amazing! i hate to look at the shift knob, even after i detail my car it looks like shit and throws me off completely...oh well time to go to mississauga mazda haha

cosic
09-15-2008, 06:04 PM
I have dealt with Tiffany if that's who you're talking about. I never thought to bring up my knob

Zoom Zoom Boy
09-15-2008, 07:15 PM
I have dealt with Tiffany if that's who you're talking about. I never thought to bring up my knob

Oh f'in hell this made me laugh hard!!!!

ramboh
09-15-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm an engineer and wear the iron ring on my pinky. My stock shifter is really scratched/pitted but I don't mind at all. It has a worn look that kind of gives it character (my opinion). Eventually I'll have to replace it, probably with the mazdaspeed CF one but I'm in no hurry...

Noisy Crow
09-15-2008, 08:42 PM

Ah, sh*t, failed rule #1 right there, ROFLMAO !!!!

Thrizzl3
09-15-2008, 09:28 PM

LMAO!!! wow this guy's good..no more comments

cosic
09-18-2008, 04:28 PM
lol guys!
I asked compact division (I think his name is?) if he could do a small CF wrap around just the ring of the shifter. I'd pay 30 for that fa sho!

blackspeed3
09-22-2008, 02:28 PM
oh man, if we can get new ones that would be amazing! i hate to look at the shift knob, even after i detail my car it looks like shit and throws me off completely...oh well time to go to mississauga mazda haha

Ya well dont be on it. "Kenny" now wants to see my shift knob before I even bring my car in. Like I'm lying about the condition of it or something. When Tiffany was there, it was not a problem at all.

I think I'm on my way to Oakville Mazda too.

Fobio
09-24-2008, 12:20 PM

good one...lol...:chuckle