PDA

View Full Version : Mud Flaps

Yashiro
09-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Do you guys think Mud flaps help with the gatheing of snow and peventing rust in the worst winters ? What you guys think ?

dentinger
09-11-2008, 11:14 PM
i personally think it would make matters worse. however it would stop rock chips in the paint
rock chips + salt = rust.

and im rocking mine front and back this winter, and lifting my car. i cant wait! haha

Yashiro
09-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the advice dentinger I think ill have them installed for this winter from Mazda

dentinger
09-12-2008, 12:15 AM
np

however, i believe mazda3's come stock with front mudflaps already installed....and they work quiet well. so you just need to worry about the rear ones.

ICEBOX
09-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Ya i would prefer to run rears to keep the bumper from getting scratched up. Just need to kick off the build up when it starts rubbing the tire.

Noisy Crow
09-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Ya i would prefer to run rears to keep the bumper from getting scratched up. Just need to kick off the build up when it starts rubbing the tire.

Another option is to get clear vinyl applied to the behind the wheel-wells.

Go_Habs_Go
09-22-2008, 05:30 PM
np

however, i believe mazda3's come stock with front mudflaps already installed....and they work quiet well. so you just need to worry about the rear ones.

I have an 08 GT sedan and it didn't come with mud guards...probably due to the side sills. I think only the GX and GT come with mud guards in the front...but I may be mistaken.

dentinger
09-22-2008, 05:56 PM
your probably right about that.
i have the base model GX or GS or watever.

5_Alive
09-22-2008, 07:00 PM
It will be worse to run mudflaps. When the tire kicks up dirt and salt, it will collect into the wheel wells, and stick to the inside of the fenders. Brakes, suspension components, struts, etc. will be even more prone to collective debris and salt. I know they eat their fair share in the winter, but flaps will make it easier. You don't really damage your rockers, sills, or skirts in the winter unless your burning rubber.

I'm yet to have a car that has damage from salt along its body side. That's just my opinion on the matter.

mdass52
09-25-2008, 08:34 AM
mine came stock with front mudflaps (2008 GS sedan) I also paid extra to have to back ones put on as well. I did the undercoat and extended rust proof warranty. Im happy with my purchases

SpelingChampian
10-22-2008, 07:14 PM
I think the easiest rust protection is getting the bottom of your car sprayed with the anti-rust goo. As far as salt build up is concerned, just take your car to the wash and have a clean! It takes some time for the salt to start doing damage, so just keep an eye out for any large deposits.

p-o-g-i
10-23-2008, 09:55 AM
It will be worse to run mudflaps. When the tire kicks up dirt and salt, it will collect into the wheel wells, and stick to the inside of the fenders. Brakes, suspension components, struts, etc. will be even more prone to collective debris and salt....

+1

Mudflaps hold in the dirt/ salt/ debris. When you have a chance, remove the mudflaps and take a look.... you'll see all the debris it has been holding. I guess you could always remove it every now and then to clean out the debris, but who would actually waste their time doing that?!?!?!

CopperRouGe
11-12-2008, 09:15 AM
I just put a set on my '06 GT for the winter. They are only on the front to keep the salt and junk off the side of the car. Looks like a rally car with the steelies on it!

aris
11-12-2008, 10:44 AM
+1

Mudflaps hold in the dirt/ salt/ debris. When you have a chance, remove the mudflaps and take a look.... you'll see all the debris it has been holding. I guess you could always remove it every now and then to clean out the debris, but who would actually waste their time doing that?!?!?!

You say that about the mud flaps holding debris..what about your side skirts they haold just as much debris as the mud flaps

p-o-g-i
11-13-2008, 09:24 AM
You say that about the mud flaps holding debris..what about your side skirts they haold just as much debris as the mud flaps

I wouldn't doubt it (but maybe not as much debris). But I would rather run with sideskirts then mudflaps.

RVeur23
11-13-2008, 09:59 AM
I just put a set on my '06 GT for the winter. They are only on the front to keep the salt and junk off the side of the car. Looks like a rally car with the steelies on it!

Hey I'm new here and my english is not perfect so sorry if my words are not very well choosed!

I would like to have a look on a picture of a 3 with Mud flaps. I would like to install some for the winter (I have a 07 SEDAN GT) but I'm not sure if it will look good.

If you have some pics of your "06 GT rally style" (eheh!) please post them!

Thanks!

aris
11-13-2008, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't doubt it (but maybe not as much debris). But I would rather run with sideskirts then mudflaps.

Yes i never did like mud flaps...but i don't mind it on the 3's....and the side side skirts on the gt look way better then mud flaps..:chuckle