PDA

View Full Version : a-pillar and triple gauge combo , help!!!!!

monty79
09-18-2008, 06:13 AM
Hey there everybody I need some help , I recently purchased an a-pillar triple gauge combo , I didn't really think of the side air bag but I still want to install it though. My question is wether or not I can remove that airbag completely then install the pillar. I know everybody's gonna tell me to put the center pod but I am doing that aswell but also want the pillar. Any help would be appriciated thanks.
Matty

cwp_sedan
09-18-2008, 07:17 AM
1. If you remove the airbag and ever get into an accident that required the airbag to go off and it's not there, your insurance company will probably NOT cover your accident and/or drop you. They do not look highly on removing safety devices like an airbag.

2. The airbag is there for safety so leave it there. That is my opinion and I'm sure others will tell you the same. If you want to remove it go ahead since it is totally up to you.

Wild Weasel
09-18-2008, 08:32 AM
I agree. Definitely leave the safety systems in place and find another way to mount your gauges. Removing safety for bling is a bad idea.

Cardinal Fang
09-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Don't screw around with the safety systems of the car. You're only screwing yourself in the end and the resale value of the car. Work with it.

openuser
09-18-2008, 05:56 PM
to my understanding, the side airbag isn't located at a-pillar.
It is on the roof near the windows.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Borrowing from m3f

There is no airbag behind the A-Pillar. There is a tether that supports the side curtain airbag. The a-pillar cover does not even pop off when the airbag goes off.

correct. I believe this dude named ggdorris on these forums rolled his car several times at the track. the a-pillar covers were still on the a-pillar, but the airbag was deployed. my gauge pod is permanently bonded to my a-pillar cover, so i don't have to worry about them separating.

unless the OP has a normal 3? then would he have airbag on a-pillar?

Noisy Crow
09-18-2008, 10:45 PM
to my understanding, the side airbag isn't located at a-pillar.
It is on the roof near the windows.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Borrowing from m3f

unless the OP has a normal 3? then would he have airbag on a-pillar?

There is definitely an air bag in the A-pillar. At least if you have one of the cars with the side air bags. They extend all along the roof-line and down the A-piilar at the front (and down the C-pillar at the rear on sedans). I've seen it on my car myself when I had the pillar cover off.

condor888000
09-18-2008, 11:20 PM
Go with a center dash pod, looks better than an A pillar pod too.

nicker
09-19-2008, 12:34 PM
I agree you are looking for HUGE trouble by trying to do this, I don't even think you can. If you remove that air bag you car will most likely post a code. Plus I really think that is just plain DUMB. Go with a centre gauge pod. You say you were going to go with a centre on and a A Pilar one? HOW MANY F-ing gauges you wanting to run LOL?

silentRAGE
11-08-2008, 02:56 AM
yes i had a very bad experience with that.. i use to drive an 95 eclipse turbo.. it was fully modded which i didn't tell the insurance company about.. well long story short.. i took out the factory steering wheel and swapped it with a momo course which in other word i removed the air bag.. well i got into an accident and totaled my eclipse.. i had to go through hell just to get them to insure that accident.. so i really don't recommend it

mazdathree
11-08-2008, 12:11 PM
removing the air bag or disabling it for those gauges is not a good idea in my opinion!