PDA

View Full Version : OEM rear discs

zmtomako
10-04-2008, 09:11 PM
I've been searching around the forums, but i haven't found anything relating to this at all...

I don't know if its just me, or my rear brakes dont seem to do anything...
theres no brake dust for the rears (craploads for the front), and theres like this layer of oxidation/rust alrdy on my rotors (clean and shiny on the fronts)

i havent actually inspected the brakepads myself, but im pretty sure i'd see no wear on them...

i just want to know that im not the only one that thinks the rear brakes arent doing anything...

Noisy Crow
10-04-2008, 09:31 PM
The rear rotors should be shiny just like the front ones. If they are not you should have them looked at. That said, the fronts do most of the braking, so there will be a lot more brake dust on the front wheels than the rear.

Fuman
10-05-2008, 12:18 AM
The rear rotors should be shiny just like the front ones. If they are not you should have them looked at. That said, the fronts do most of the braking, so there will be a lot more brake dust on the front wheels than the rear.

+1

silvermist99
10-05-2008, 07:10 AM
the rear rotors won't be as shiney as the front ones due to fact that everything the front wheel runs over it throws into rear.

Just like how the rear fenders rusts a lot faster then the front fenders on most cars.

But I'm talking about the disc area where the brake pad do not touch. If your disc itself where the pad is on contact is rusty after driving then thats really strange, sounds like the pad isnt touching hte rotor.

kevcol74
10-05-2008, 09:29 AM
If the area on the rotor is rusty where the pads should be touching, I'd be concerned about siezed calipers. Do you use your e-brake all the time? You need to use that sucker ALL the time, or your calipers can sieze. That happens and you are using your fronts for 100% of your braking, and a failure up there... well, lets just hope that doesn't happen, losing your brakes is not fun! (happend to me once, that was a fun ride down the sidewalk!) :whoa

zmtomako
10-05-2008, 12:14 PM
this is exactly why i was so curious when that layer of rust wouldnt go away... i was like, im pretty sure this isnt suppose to happen...

anyways, heres a quick pic of my rears
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3206/2915559412_b8b17b5083.jpg

is there a way i can adjust the bias more towards the back myself?
or can i like "condition" it by braking harder / braking hard while in reverse / e-braking for no reason...

Noisy Crow
10-05-2008, 01:21 PM
this is exactly why i was so curious when that layer of rust wouldnt go away... i was like, im pretty sure this isnt suppose to happen...

anyways, heres a quick pic of my rears

is there a way i can adjust the bias more towards the back myself?
or can i like "condition" it by braking harder / braking hard while in reverse / e-braking for no reason...

They actually look pretty good. The rust at the edges is where the rotors stick out past the pads.

As for changing the bias: yes it can be changed by messing about with the valving on the master cylinder. But it really, really, REALLY isn't something you should be messing with yourself... there would be a serious impact on the stability of the car while braking, and if you push the bias to the rear you are certain to increase your stopping distances.

Flagrum_3
10-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Rust wise the rotors look fine or 'normal' for the rears. I wonder about the scouring on the rotors though, it looks quite bad.I'm just wondering if maybe you have some foriegn matter embedded in the bads (causing the scouring and possibly bad contact leading to poor rear braking).

I wouldn't go touching the bias if I were you, thats asking for trouble!

_3

zmtomako
10-05-2008, 03:45 PM
i guess im actually fine?
it just concerned me since there is this layer of visible crap on the rears... especially when my friend's old 2.3 GT has some really "clean" looking rear rotors...

cosic
10-05-2008, 04:09 PM
And THAT being said, has anyone complained about the front brake pads to dealers because of the amount of brake dust?

silvermist99
10-05-2008, 07:23 PM
And THAT being said, has anyone complained about the front brake pads to dealers because of the amount of brake dust?

our cars is nothing for brake dust. try driving a volvo/BMW/benz :chuckle
I can get away with close to 2 weeks of driving without the wheel looking very dusty. most bmws... about 5 days before the wheel turns gunmetal.

performance brakes = more dust. 100% normal.

cosic
10-06-2008, 04:09 PM
our cars is nothing for brake dust. try driving a volvo/BMW/benz :chuckle
I can get away with close to 2 weeks of driving without the wheel looking very dusty. most bmws... about 5 days before the wheel turns gunmetal.

performance brakes = more dust. 100% normal.

My brother has a volvo, my father has a beamer, and my mom has a benz, no sorry, 2 benzino's ahahah. But yea, you're right!