PDA

View Full Version : Mazda 3 Door sills

Darkfrosty7
10-21-2008, 02:13 PM
i just bought a set of aluminum mazda 3 door sills for my 3. and i was wondering since my door sills are kind of scuffed already, should i sand down the plastic or smooth it out? or just clean and apply with no worries.

Cardinal Fang
10-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Clean them properly with some sort of mineral spirit to make sure the double sided tape has good adhesion. No need to sand them down. I would make a recommendation to use more double sided 3M tape then what comes with them.

Jeff-TheBiz
10-21-2008, 05:09 PM
and do the install in a warm environment, otherwise you may as well just throw them away now, cuz they aren't going to stay stuck.

ds2chan
10-21-2008, 05:41 PM
I brought mine into my place, cleaned them up, let them dry and then glued the sills on and let them sit.. although, I glued them on after putting them back on the car since it was summer time.. but you can still do that indoors.. as TheBiz said, you'll want to do this in a warm setting..

my sills have been in place for 3 years now with no sign of letting go..

bbell1984
10-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Do the sills interfere at all when you shut the door?

Cardinal Fang
10-26-2008, 02:06 PM
No. Not at all if they are properly installed tight to the original door sills.

Cousin Dave
10-27-2008, 06:14 PM
I was thinking of getting a set of aluminum sills. Do you mean that the new aluminum sills are made of plastic? And they have to be glued down?

Noisy Crow
10-27-2008, 06:23 PM
I was thinking of getting a set of aluminum sills. Do you mean that the new aluminum sills are made of plastic? And they have to be glued down?

There are two kinds available. The (expensive) ones from Mazda have the aluminium part as an insert in a plastic sill. The whole sill is replaced. With the eBay ones the aluminum part is attached to the existing sills using double sided tape. (Same sort of tape used to attach molding on the outside of the the car).

Cousin Dave
11-26-2008, 01:46 AM
There are two kinds available. The (expensive) ones from Mazda have the aluminium part as an insert in a plastic sill. The whole sill is replaced. With the eBay ones the aluminum part is attached to the existing sills using double sided tape. (Same sort of tape used to attach molding on the outside of the the car).

I take it those ebay ones look cheap.

Noisy Crow
11-26-2008, 08:39 AM
I take it those ebay ones look cheap.

Nope, they actually look quite good. Dig around the site... there a few members that have posted pics.

Cardinal Fang
11-26-2008, 09:14 AM
My two tone door sills.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14755

omalak
11-26-2008, 09:48 AM
My two tone door sills.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14755

Yep same sills i put on, just the other day... I got mine from Ebay

Of course i had missed out on a GB on M3F.. ended up grossly over paying for mine...cost me 80 :bang

In terms of installing them, ds2chan has it right, take off your sills bring them in and then do the install..

The tape does not stick in cold weather!

I found, even though i brought up my sills and installed in my house (using a hair dry to ensure the plastic and tape bond) the sills still didnt stick quite well..

So i did the next best thing! I grabbed my glue gun haha and just glued those suckers onto the sills! So far so good!

I dont think you need to sand the sills.. you should be ok.. just clean them up nice

ziegs2020
12-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Definitely a good idea taking them off first, and then gluing them on.