PDA

View Full Version : Burning Smell

craigrodrigues88
10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Hey guys, so I am pretty worried right now. I am getting this really strong burning smell coming from my engine bay every time the car is over 3k RPM's. The smells almost smells like a burning plastic, but I have no clue... There is no coloured smoke coming from the exaust. So I think I can rule out the turbo and oil...things like that. Being an amateur when it comes to this stuff I was wondering if anyone has maybe had this issue or something like it? I am going to take it in to the dealership tomorrow and see what is going on...hopefully they can take me in!...Oh also wondering if this issue would be covered under warranty(I took out their top notch one w/e that is)....URGH I almost don't even feel like driving the car :flaming

JaYson
10-28-2008, 08:55 PM
just a shot in the dark.

i know you said its comming from the engine bay. but sometimes you'll get a burning plastic smell if you run over a plastic bag and it gets stuck to your muffler and beings to melt...

Noisy Crow
10-28-2008, 09:35 PM
If it isn't a grocery bag wrapped around your cat... Burning plastic is usually a sign of an electrical problem. What work has been done on your car lately? What mods to you have on your car? Power cable for an amp hitting the exaust maybe?

craigrodrigues88
10-28-2008, 09:40 PM
the car is ABSOLUTLY stock. It started a couple nights ago when it was raining. It may be a plastic bag but I did not see anything. I was going from my friend house to mine, which is less than a 2 minute drive and the smell hit HARD! So I cant really see it being that... There are no check engine lights or anything. It almost smells the same as if someone rides a clutch for a long time.

craigrodrigues88
10-28-2008, 09:42 PM
oh also the smell is only really apparent when i turn on the fan/heater so i am assuming it has nothing to do with the transmission and something in the engine bay itself...like i said though i dont know much of anything when it comes to this stuff though

Noisy Crow
10-28-2008, 09:52 PM
oh also the smell is only really apparent when i turn on the fan/heater so i am assuming it has nothing to do with the transmission and something in the engine bay itself...like i said though i dont know much of anything when it comes to this stuff though

The tranny is in the engine bay.

When you have the fan is on it is sucking air into the cabin through the cowl inlet. Put the air on recirc then turn it on. If you still get the smell... the source is inside the car. Does only occur when you are driving.... could be parking brake stuck on... or a caliper sticking. Does the car pull? Do you actuallly have clutch... it might be slipping.

craigrodrigues88
10-28-2008, 10:05 PM
My clutch still feels the same when I shift through the gears. So I am pretty sure it isn't that. If it was though would it still be under warranty? It is an 08.5 purchased in June if I remember correctly

SpelingChampian
10-28-2008, 10:17 PM
My clutch gets a really bad smell sometimes when it slips. Find a really steep hill (with noone or nothing behind you) and start to roll back. Gradually engage the clutch and keep rolling back (with the clutch slightly engaged)...when you've rolled back a few meters fully engage the clutch and drive away. If you get a really bad smell...I would think it is your clutch!

I have no clue if doing that is bad for the clutch, I just know that my car stinks when I do that lol!

Garu
10-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Please be more descriptive.
Turbo cars tend to produce lot more odours than NA cars.

After driving hard, you could smell something like gasoline burning. That's from your turbo and it's normal.
You could also smell leathery burning smell which is your clutch. That's not so good.
Also there is smell from exhaust. Which could be same as any other car but it could be different when you've driven it hard. If there is a problem with the turbo seal, that's whole different story.

craigrodrigues88
10-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Please be more descriptive.
Turbo cars tend to produce lot more odours than NA cars.

After driving hard, you could smell something like gasoline burning. That's from your turbo and it's normal.
You could also smell leathery burning smell which is your clutch. That's not so good.
Also there is smell from exhaust. Which could be same as any other car but it could be different when you've driven it hard. If there is a problem with the turbo seal, that's whole different story.

Well when it is being pushed even a little, that is when the smell is apparent. It does smell as though it is the clutch but like i said i am not too sure. it defiantly does not smell like gasoline. I have a VERY strong feeling it is the clutch....covered under warranty?!

Noisy Crow
10-28-2008, 11:43 PM
2008.5 -- should be covered. But wether it is covered under warranty or not, cars don't heal, so whatever it is won't get better on its own, and probably will get more expensive as time goes on.

chinsterr
10-29-2008, 12:31 AM
clutch already ? damn .

Did you learn on how to drive stick on your speed ?

craigrodrigues88
10-29-2008, 12:59 AM
clutch already ? damn .

Did you learn on how to drive stick on your speed ?

no no haha I learned on the other mazda 3 that we had, but I dont ride the clutch or anything so I dont know why I am having these issues, hopefully i will know tmrw

Unoriginalusername
10-29-2008, 07:52 AM
thats what dealers are for, find a good one based on reviews on this site etc. and book an appointment if you're worried

craigrodrigues88
10-29-2008, 11:21 AM
alright, well i just got back from the dealership and they when the guy came to the car and i turned it on i got him to come in the cabin to smell it and right away he said it was the clutch. then we popped the hood and there was no smell. I told him to go for a boot, see what the clutch feels like and whatnot, and when we went it was holding every gear perfectly, which would tend to rule out the clutch. I had a glimpse of hope when I asked if it could be a plastic bag and he was like OH YEAH! that happened to me once...haha. But I do have an appointment on Monday just in case. hopefully the "bag" burns off and I can go on living my life. Another reason why I think it may be a bag and not the clutch itself is because I get the smell on startup, when the clutch isn't being used...

RX9
11-03-2008, 09:01 PM
did you do the undercar rust proofing? it smells hell strong at the first week.

craigrodrigues88
11-03-2008, 11:12 PM
yeah i did, but it is a long time past the first week lol, and the smell is thankfully gone now :)