PDA

View Full Version : Turn off A/C - while defrost is on

cinder88
10-31-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi

For those of you that do not want the A/C to cycle on when the floor vents/ windshield defrost is on you can remov the A/C fluse located under the hood.

It is #26 in the owners manual.-------- I will take a pic and post itas location later.

--Also remember to put it back in once a month, and use the A/C defrost for 20mins to circulate the oil/fluids.

-----save some gas this winter..:)

5_Alive
10-31-2008, 09:34 AM
I appreciate your post, as this has been covered before in other threads, but just to inform for the rest of the general public, the A/C does not trip once the temperature drops below 0*. It is made this way as to not damage or freeze itself or anything else.
The A/C is also great to have because it acts as a de-humidification system.

Your not going to notice the 10km difference from the tank of gas you put in.

kevcol74
10-31-2008, 09:38 AM
I appreciate your post, as this has been covered before in other threads, but just to inform for the rest of the general public, the A/C does not trip once the temperature drops below 0*. It is made this way as to not damage or freeze itself or anything else.

+1 Live with the drag on the engine once in a while, I think replacing the AC compressor or anything else in the system greatly outweighs the cost of the extra fuel it uses...

Walrus
10-31-2008, 09:39 AM
It may actually not turn on a little higher. My Nissan Xterra manual states it doesn't turn on below 7C. I think it is done so it doesn't create ice on the base of the windshield.

5_Alive
10-31-2008, 10:44 AM
It may actually not turn on a little higher. My Nissan Xterra manual states it doesn't turn on below 7C. I think it is done so it doesn't create ice on the base of the windshield.

+1.. this is true as well, forgot to add this.. :bang

bunchi
10-31-2008, 01:51 PM

+1 you windows are going to be all fogged up inside without it

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-31-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi

For those of you that do not want the A/C to cycle on when the floor vents/ windshield defrost is on you can remov the A/C fluse located under the hood.

It is #26 in the owners manual.-------- I will take a pic and post itas location later.

--Also remember to put it back in once a month, and use the A/C defrost for 20mins to circulate the oil/fluids.

-----save some gas this winter..:)

Why would anyone do this???

cinder88
11-07-2008, 09:55 AM
No A/C and so far 2 weeks of defrosting <cold mornings> - and no issues at all.

In the winter you do not need the A/C to deforst - only in the rain does it help.

Anyway - it saves me gas in my daily commute in traffic 3-5% , every month I put the fuse back in and run the compressor for 20+min's.

Do as you wish - I have done this on 6 different cars, with no effects - other than more money in my wallet.

Flagrum_3
11-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm with Cinder88 on this one.It just pisses me off that the compressor comes on every time I need to defrost the windows and I believe it uses much more fuel then you guys are willing to admit.
Before this vehicle, I never needed A/C to help in clearing the windows, just use defrost with warm/hot air! ...it'll take a bit longer to clear that's all!...and although the manual states that the compressor 'MAY' not activate when approaching 0C, I noticed it came on all the time last winter! ...even in -20C temps!!

The manual also states you only need to run the A/C system for about 10 minutes a month to keep internal parts lubricated.....I think it's worth the effort anyways!

_3

Woodman316
02-25-2010, 12:39 PM
A manual switch wood be nice to turn off the compressoir.

JSI
02-25-2010, 01:59 PM
A manual switch wood be nice to turn off the compressoir.

Totally agree.

Reegs
02-26-2010, 02:42 PM
FYI, one of the main reasons windows fog up in the winter inside the car is due to the cold temperature outside as well as the moist, humid air inside the car that condenses once it touches the windows. This moist air inside the car is mostly due to the slush and snow that is brought into the car during the winter, or lets someone who has just has a shower, sitting beside the windows, giving off "steam" or water vapour which again, condenses as it touches the windows and turns into liquid which is "fog" on the windows. So, since the AC acts as a de-humidifier, it speeds up the process of removing the fog or moisture content of the air in the car, and thus helps remove the fog from the windshield. Temperature of this air has no effect on removing the fog from the windows. Other than trying to heat up the windshield so the water vapour doesn't condense as it touches it; which is kind of a long shot. Feel free to let me know if I'm incorrect with any of these statements, I'd love to know.

As far as gas goes using the AC compressor, I think its negligible. I track my mileage every fill up, and it is clear that the mileage is a lot worse in the winter, I suppose due to the cold temperature. So not using the AC compressor probably wont bring your mileage up to summer numbers. As far as saving you money, I don't really know how much avoiding using the AC compressor actually saves you.

Happy driving everyone! Hope we don't have to worry about cold and winter for much longer. Bring on the Spring!!!!!!!