PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Noise - Resolved ! ?

Krisekca
11-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Most of us have this problem - Engine is loud like quiet diesel ....
Friends at mazdaspeed got this resolved.

Intake Manifold ( Its a really complicated part in Mazda Engine VIRS tech. )
Variable Intake Air Solenoid Valve
When u unplug electric shutter valve .. Engine become really quiet

what to do now ? Should we contact Mazda and do a group FIX ? Same as rust ?

If u wanna check in your car please follow Mazda Tech Manual.

( Ps for People asking about OIL i will reply to all PM's today night sorry I was busy with work )

mazdas3sporte
11-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I got mine fixed after going back and forth many times, theres 2 sounds dont get them mixed up, theres the diseal sound and then theres the loud injectors ...
no fix for injectors but there is a fix for the louder diseal sound

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28217

Tuga
11-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Im in for the group fix if we can arange one with mazda......

mazdas3sporte
11-02-2008, 10:50 PM
I was thinking of a group change as well cause i was getting no where but somehow some miracle happend and they actually fixed it, the funny thing is when the fixed it they told me that they knew this problem exists with mazda and they had fixed 5 previous cars with the same issue.... but when i went to them after 3 times they said they had never heard of this..... very weird WTF moment

Wilson
11-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I was thinking of a group change as well cause i was getting no where but somehow some miracle happend and they actually fixed it, the funny thing is when the fixed it they told me that they knew this problem exists with mazda and they had fixed 5 previous cars with the same issue.... but when i went to them after 3 times they said they had never heard of this..... very weird WTF moment

How did they fix it? Replace the manifold or just the valve? Is it covered under warranty?

ZoomZoom09
11-10-2008, 08:14 PM
There should be a TSB for that. I spoke to one of the techs at Scaboro and they said that the plastic shutter valve rattles around inside, and it does happen to me after a decent drive or when I push it hard. You need to replace the entire manifold.

GTVic
11-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Can someone describe how to unplug the valve for testing purposes?

DreamM3
03-11-2009, 09:51 AM
There should be a TSB for that. I spoke to one of the techs at Scaboro and they said that the plastic shutter valve rattles around inside, and it does happen to me after a decent drive or when I push it hard. You need to replace the entire manifold.

I was told by dealship it will cost $890 taxes in to repalce the intake manifold...The manifold itself is $600. A friend of mine who works for Mazda told me to replace it with an aftermarket intake manifold... Does anyone know one that would fit? I researched on the internet and am unsure... Some car part websites have them, but I am unsure if it will fit. What do you suggest?

Donutz
03-11-2009, 11:53 AM
WeaponR bolts on. Performance is questionable given the price; quality is another concern. Cosworth can be modified to fit. And I seem to recall reading about another one at some point.

DreamM3
03-12-2009, 02:48 PM
WeaponR bolts on. Performance is questionable given the price; quality is another concern. Cosworth can be modified to fit. And I seem to recall reading about another one at some point.

Cosworth is good or no good then? Where can I get it?

OnkelHans
03-14-2009, 10:35 AM
I had what I thought was this noise especially when starting cold. One morning I went out and it had changed to a sound less like a diesel and more like a train (higher pitched and faster - kind of like a belt sound). Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything. Noise was gone when I picked it up even though they found nothing and did nothing (said it was the injectors and it was within acceptable limits). This morning the noise started again. I now hate stopping at traffic lights because I feel like I'm driving my 86 Chevette again.
The weird part is this only happened after I went through a car wash. I got to thinking and the last time this noise started was after a trip to this same car wash. Other than not going back to this car wash, any ideas what this could be?

Flagrum_3
03-14-2009, 11:34 AM
I had what I thought was this noise especially when starting cold. One morning I went out and it had changed to a sound less like a diesel and more like a train (higher pitched and faster - kind of like a belt sound). Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything. Noise was gone when I picked it up even though they found nothing and did nothing (said it was the injectors and it was within acceptable limits). This morning the noise started again. I now hate stopping at traffic lights because I feel like I'm driving my 86 Chevette again.
The weird part is this only happened after I went through a car wash. I got to thinking and the last time this noise started was after a trip to this same car wash. Other than not going back to this car wash, any ideas what this could be?

Hey I had an '86 Chevette and it never sounded like a diesel, had less problems then my MZ3 also :chuckle

Anyways back on topic; I don't have any diesel sound with mine, all I can hear is the injectors, I think!!, ...hope I'm not mistaken, cause I'm at 95k on the car...not much warranty time left! Is the sound distinctive enough to hear if you record it?

_3

mthree07
09-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey everyone,

Im experincing the same ticking / diesel noise. Ive brought this matter to my dealerships attention and they said it was from the fuel injectors which is a common problems. I was wondering how I would distinguish if the problem is from the fuel injectors or from the purge valve/hose which was mentioned in this thread.

I have an appointment with Mazda next week to replace my "faulty" head unit. I will bring the issue up again but I was hoping I can get some reassurance before I go in.

Thanks,

2007 Mazda 3 - 2.0L
Sedan, Manual Transmission

Karen Lee-McNair
09-02-2009, 04:31 PM
which dealer is your appointment at? ask them to check out the second issue too, i'm sure they'll accomodate.

mthree07
09-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Mazda of Brampton

Im hoping they will,

sip
09-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey everyone,

Im experincing the same ticking / diesel noise. Ive brought this matter to my dealerships attention and they said it was from the fuel injectors which is a common problems. I was wondering how I would distinguish if the problem is from the fuel injectors or from the purge valve/hose which was mentioned in this thread.

I have an appointment with Mazda next week to replace my "faulty" head unit. I will bring the issue up again but I was hoping I can get some reassurance before I go in.

Thanks,

2007 Mazda 3 - 2.0L
Sedan, Manual Transmission

My 2009 Mazda 3 has the same same ticking / diesel noise. It comes after I drive the car for about 10 minutes and is not as loud as the old diesel engine noise. I want to take it to Mazda of Brampton from where I bought it 5 months ago. What should I do if the dealer says the noise is normal (i.e. fuel injector noise) and do nothing? Is this is major issue?

Mthree07, please let us know next week whether Mazda of Brampton fixed your problem.

Prima Tech Aaron
09-14-2009, 02:26 AM
it's a little hard to diagnose a noise I can't hear but there are some common ones.

1. cold start (after sitting a while) loud rattling that disapears after a few seconds. faulty VVT gear (advances cam timing). a pin should lock the gear into base timing when no oil is in it. the pin corrodes and won't lock so it rattles until it has oil pressure.

2. knocking on aceleration/idle/higher rpm. Rod bearings worn. my theory is an oil pressure spring is coming loose and with no or low oil pressure the bearings aren't lubricated.

3. light ticking heard after drving a while, sound comes and goes. caused by evap purge solenoid. it's not broken, just noisey.

4. constant ticking, engine running. shutter valve control solenoids fault.

sip
09-14-2009, 06:40 PM
it's a little hard to diagnose a noise I can't hear but there are some common ones.

1. cold start (after sitting a while) loud rattling that disapears after a few seconds. faulty VVT gear (advances cam timing). a pin should lock the gear into base timing when no oil is in it. the pin corrodes and won't lock so it rattles until it has oil pressure.

2. knocking on aceleration/idle/higher rpm. Rod bearings worn. my theory is an oil pressure spring is coming loose and with no or low oil pressure the bearings aren't lubricated.

3. light ticking heard after drving a while, sound comes and goes. caused by evap purge solenoid. it's not broken, just noisey.

4. constant ticking, engine running. shutter valve control solenoids fault.

Aaron,
Thank you for your post. Why does a brand new Mazda 3 give a diesel noise at idle? The noise comes only when I stop the car and idle, after driving for more than 10 minutes. Ironically, I heard the same noise when I test drove a demo before I bought my car and inquired from the salesman why the engine is making a diesel noise at idle. He ignored my question. I should have walked away then. Foolishly, I didn't think too much about it.

Prima Tech Aaron
09-14-2009, 09:49 PM
most likely the purge solenoid. it's normal operation.

Krisekca
09-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Aron .... question for you ...

Let say I drive 60 I will slow down ... to 30 ... car will down shift to 3 ... now I'm trying to accelerate Im getting a growling noise .... for 2 seconds and its gone and car accelerates ....

Its not tranny ... its new one ;)
Its not exhaust ( heat shields/Catylic C is new )
It will not happen when I'm accelerating ... 1_2_3_4...

Car been in Oakville Mazda, Burlington, Mot, Mississauga, Hamilton .... they had car over night ..... everyone could replicate noise, noone could solve it lol ...

I'm out off warranty now ... but I still wonder ...

Trinidad
09-15-2009, 05:18 PM
I get the same thing.....not sure if your is an automatic or not.

Aron .... question for you ...

Let say I drive 60 I will slow down ... to 30 ... car will down shift to 3 ... now I'm trying to accelerate Im getting a growling noise .... for 2 seconds and its gone and car accelerates ....

Its not tranny ... its new one ;)
Its not exhaust ( heat shields/Catylic C is new )
It will not happen when I'm accelerating ... 1_2_3_4...

Car been in Oakville Mazda, Burlington, Mot, Mississauga, Hamilton .... they had car over night ..... everyone could replicate noise, noone could solve it lol ...

I'm out off warranty now ... but I still wonder ...

Krisekca
09-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Auto ,.... :)

Prima Tech Aaron
09-16-2009, 12:25 AM
even if it's out of warranty now, the complaint was before warranty was out and they have it on record. they should still fix it under warranty, well that is if they find the problem.

If you want to bring it by Prima I'd have a look at it for you.

when was the tranny repalced?
why was it replaced?
did this noise happen before it was repalced?
when did the noise first appear?

Krisekca
09-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Noise was before and after tranny ... replacement ...
They said that fluid was burnt or something

I can bring it .. If you are working on Saturdays

Prima Tech Aaron
09-19-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm there every saturdy and late night thursdays.

mprus
10-04-2009, 07:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O8qSw4dxII