PDA

View Full Version : Windshield/Dash/Cowl Rattle

Pages : [1] 2

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-04-2008, 05:21 PM
I've posted this in the Mazdaspeed section under stock issues, but since it affects both the MS3 and the MZ3 and possibly even the Mazda5 too, I thought it would be more appropriate to post all the info here.

This TSB isn't yet listed officially on the U.S.A. dealer TSB site, but most of the Canadian dealers are aware of its existance and can order the parts to address the problem.

CHATTERING NOISE AT BASE OF WINDSHIELD COWL GRILL Applicable Models

Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec
MAZDA3 2007-2008 000000 ZZZZZZ

Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms
BODY AND ACCESSORY / ON-BOARD TROUBLESHOOTING / UNUSUAL NOISE(EXCL. PINGING,SQUEAKING,OPERATION,RESONANCE)
BODY AND ACCESSORY / EXTERIOR TRIM / EXCESSIVE OPERATION NOISE
BODY AND ACCESSORY / WINDOW GLASSES / UNUSUAL VIBRATION/CHATTER
BODY AND ACCESSORY / TRIMS AND MATS/CARPET / RESONANCE NOISE
BODY AND ACCESSORY / INSTR.PANEL/GLOVEBOX / UNUSUAL NOISE(EXCL. PINGING,SQUEAKING,OPERATION,RESONANCE)

MTOL - 5636 Dealer Repair InformationSymptom and Conditions

Some customers may experience a chattering noise when passing over bumps
and/or driving on a rough roads,that may be confused as a dash rattle
at the base of the windshield.

Condition may be the result of a stick slips noise that occurs between
the cowl grill and the windshield.

Repair Procedure
When you encounter a customer with this concern replace the insulator
pads on the 8 hooks of the cowl grill with improved part as listed.

Part No. L206-50-794 Qty. 8 (4 per side)

I have had my MS3 in for this TSB and this does resolve the windshield/cowl rattle condition, at least it has for the past 2 weeks. We'll see once it gets even colder out.

The N/C invoice I received back from the dealer showed the following:

A Check Windshield Chatter/Rattle
Replaced as per bulletin
S0412XRX .4

INT./EXT. Trim and Hardware
MZ L206-50-794 Protector x 8

mazdas3sporte
11-04-2008, 06:46 PM
i hear this sound when going over bumps. its a lound dry cracking sound, I'll have to have this looked at

Go_Habs_Go
11-05-2008, 12:50 PM
thanks for the post ZZB! As I've mentioned before I get a vibration/rattling type noise from the passenger side when going over bumps but have not been able to really pinpoint the exact location yet...

When I go for my next oil change I will have the dealer look at it.

This TSB will be handy. :)

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-05-2008, 12:58 PM
thanks for the post ZZB! As I've mentioned before I get a vibration/rattling type noise from the passenger side when going over bumps but have not been able to really pinpoint the exact location yet...

No worries GHG, even if it pains my soul that I am being helpful to a Habs fan... http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/characters/character0242.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-unhappy-smileys.php)

To save you time and aggravation, I would suggest that you ask the technician or service advisor to come on a short drive with you to confirm they hear the noise and this will also help them diagnose possible cause. This helps avoid the "cannot replicate noise" scenario which will only leave you frustrated. Moreover, the tech and advisor can check out certain areas of the car while you are driving that would be impossible, or not recommended for you to do, while driving....especially in Montreal...:)
Good luck.

WeatherB
11-05-2008, 08:53 PM
I had this problem on my 07 MZ3 and even my 08.5 MS3...

I looked through the million pages on this topic on the US forums and people said the fix doesn`t do much.

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-05-2008, 08:55 PM
I had this problem on my 07 MZ3 and even my 08.5 MS3...

I looked through the million pages on this topic on the US forums and people said the fix doesn`t do much.

I just had it done approx. 2 weeks ago on my 2008.5 MS3 and it fixed my rattle issues from the windshield/cowl area.

cwp_sedan
11-05-2008, 08:55 PM
+1. You'll only be able to tell if it helps when it gets really cold. That's when most of the noises come out. Might as well have them fix it under warranty if it is an issue though.

WeatherB
11-05-2008, 09:38 PM
I just had it done approx. 2 weeks ago on my 2008.5 MS3 and it fixed my rattle issues from the windshield/cowl area.

That`s good to know... Hopefully that`ll continue once the weather gets colder.

Go_Habs_Go
11-06-2008, 11:16 AM
No worries GHG, even if it pains my soul that I am being helpful to a Habs fan... http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/characters/character0242.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-unhappy-smileys.php)

LOL LOL Thanks dude, I appreciate the help! :chuckle

howes
11-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I have this same noise on my 09! Guess they don't address things for next model years!

Wilson
11-06-2008, 09:34 PM

I also have a rattle on the passenger side when it's cold out. I think my glove compartment door is simply a little loose though because it disappears when I hold the lid shut.

Unoriginalusername
11-06-2008, 10:13 PM
my mazda 5 is doing this

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-07-2008, 04:19 PM
That`s good to know... Hopefully that`ll continue once the weather gets colder.

Yah, agreed. I'll keep you guys updated once it gets colder. It did drop down to -6 or so a day or two after i had the TSB done and I didn't notice the rattle.

Go_Habs_Go
11-07-2008, 05:35 PM
my mazda 5 is doing this

crap, it's a problem across their entire product line?!?!

openuser
11-08-2008, 02:52 PM
BODY AND ACCESSORY / ON-BOARD TROUBLESHOOTING / UNUSUAL NOISE(EXCL. PINGING,SQUEAKING,OPERATION,RESONANCE)
BODY AND ACCESSORY / INSTR.PANEL/GLOVEBOX / UNUSUAL NOISE(EXCL. PINGING,SQUEAKING,OPERATION,RESONANCE)

I have all these problems except the carpet one..
I just learnt to live with it :P

Krakor
11-10-2008, 09:55 AM
I have had my 2008.5 for 2 weeks and I have noticed this noise as well! It was driving me crazy. Now I am glad there is a fix, or a hopeful fix, for it.

That's why I love this board!

:bana

mazdas3sporte
11-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Oakville mazda told me that this was only for the speed 3 ???? I got this problem so far only once so iam not concerned but it seems like the Mazda bulletin states only mazdaspeed3 not the normal ones or the mazda 5

Krakor
11-10-2008, 02:29 PM
It has been happening on mine since I got it 2 weeks ago.

I have a 2008.5 Mazda3 Sport GT.

I would assume the parts are the same fro the Speed3 and the 3 in that area of the vehicle... I could be wrong...

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Oakville mazda told me that this was only for the speed 3 ???? I got this problem so far only once so iam not concerned but it seems like the Mazda bulletin states only mazdaspeed3 not the normal ones or the mazda 5

Not true. If you look at the bulletin, it actually states for the Mazda 3. It doesn't differentiate the Speed3. If you aren't hearing a constant chatter/rattle over every bump and road imperfection at normal road speed, then I doubt you have this issue. It happens all the time in any temp below like 12 degrees. Check to see if your noise is your glovebox rattling.

It has been happening on mine since I got it 2 weeks ago.

I have a 2008.5 Mazda3 Sport GT.

I would assume the parts are the same fro the Speed3 and the 3 in that area of the vehicle... I could be wrong...

The insulator pads/parts are the same on the 3 and Speed3 in the cowl area. You aren't wrong. I believe they are also the same on the Mazda5, but not 100% sure there. When I originally brought my MS3 in to have the rattle diagnosed, the tech told me he had a regular 3 GT in the shop with the exact same problem.

I think this is a rather common problem that was introduced, for whatever reason, in the 2007 model year and beyond. For instance, my wife's 2005 hatch did not have this noise at all. In fact her interior is entirely rattle proof in even the harshest cold weather and it pisses me off, more than a little, that my MS3 has had rattles while the worst she had was the infamous glove-box rattle when it was new. :flaming I am very curious to know what was introduced or changed that caused this issue in 2007 and beyond. Could be insulator pads that are out of spec, or could be some other change. In any case, I am curious...

Krakor
11-10-2008, 04:42 PM
I agree that it is frustrating. I had a 2005 Mazda3 Sport GT and the fit and finish on that car was awesome! No rattles, nothing.

The 2008.5 model however is causing me some anxities. The fit and finish are nowhere near as good as the 2005 was.

Not sure why? Cheaper materials?

I wish someone could explain this.

Not too happy with it so far.

This is my 3rd Mazda and I have to say the quality has dropped drastically.

:complain

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I agree that it is frustrating. I had a 2005 Mazda3 Sport GT and the fit and finish on that car was awesome! No rattles, nothing.

The 2008.5 model however is causing me some anxities. The fit and finish are nowhere near as good as the 2005 was.

Not sure why? Cheaper materials?

I wish someone could explain this.

Not too happy with it so far.

This is my 3rd Mazda and I have to say the quality has dropped drastically.

:complain

Krakor,

What do you find worse in the fit and finish of the new 3's? Any specific examples?

I wasn't trying to imply that the build quality is any worse than it was in the past model years. I was just expressing some frustration that my much newer MS3 had rattles that my wife's car hasn't experienced, which is dissapointing. I don't look at this cowl rattle as evidence of a degradation in build quality, simply as something new that was introduced somehow by changes in the model years. Hence, why I am also simply curious as to what changed in either the parts utilized, manufacturing process, or subtle design differenceces, that introduced this cowl rattle in 2007+ model years.

From an overall build quality standpoint, I am actually really impressed by the MS3. I know a lot of the folks with the new 2007 model year MS3 had a littany of issues, but most new model years have a lot of 'bugs' that need to be worked out by the manufacturer. The MS3 does share a lot of similiar components to the regular MZ3 hatch, but it also has enough interior, exterior and mechanical differences to really set it apart. The ride and feel of the car is so dramatically different than my wife's MZ3 hatch and I am not just talking about the power aspect.

For instance, the clutch in the MS3 is a much shorter, lighter and super sensitive engagement (much like a real racing clutch) compared to the regular 3 and I find it difficult driving my wife's car now when I've been driving the MS3 a lot. Basically, I find myself riding the clutch in her car after gear engagement, as the normal MZ3 has a longer pedal engagement and very forgiving clutch and drivetrain set-up. It is truly one of the easiest cars for someone wanting to learn how to drive a stick IMO. The MS3, not so much... :)

The steering, braking and suspension input are also drastically different in the MS3 compared to the MZ3, which is to be expected of course. Everything is just much tighter, progressive and linear in feel. This says a lot, because most Mazda's, the 3 certainly not excluded, excel in these particular driving characteristics.

I guess what I'm saying, in my usual verbose manner, is that I don't really see any discernable change in fit and finish between the older generation and my new 2008.5 MS3. Perhaps this isn't a fair comparison though and I'd need to compare apples to apples. So, that said, I'd be interested to know what you think is not as good in the fit and finish since you used to drive an older GT before buying your new one.

Krakor
11-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Yes I have some specified examples.

Now these may seem small but little things can change views.

For example, if you look at my head lights, the spacing around them is inconsistent, my passenger side dashboard where the airbag is you can see the skeletal system beneath. Thinner plastic than my 2005 Mazda3 Sport GT.

I am finding the plastic on the doors seems to mark quicker and easier.

The front quarter panels seem to be tightly fit and almost too tight which could cause some paint chips if they flex in any way.

I also noticed the small quarter panel lip by the headlights is not even. One is obviously higher than the other side.

I found the rubber between the doors are clipped in with tiny, very easily breakable plastic rivets instead of the snug fit they had before.

My moonroof had to be adjusted because when closed the passenger side rear portion stuck up.

The radio antennae is garbage! I get static on radio stations such as 102.1 and 103.5 where I never had static on these channels before even when driving to Blue Mountain.

If you look at the rear bumper the new higher black portion, you will see many vehicles that the black colour is not clean and even where it meets the coloured portion of the bumper.

These may be silly things but they make a difference in showing the care taken when building.

Maybe it's due to the world economy? They need to make things cheaper so save money... Who knows.

These are just my opinions.

And now the cowl rattle.

I don't mean to complain. This is my 3rd Mazda in 7 years so I am noticing a down turn in quality however slight it may be.

I only have 1600 km's on my car now. I will let you know when I reach the 10,000 km mark and see it anything else changes.

mazdas3sporte
11-11-2008, 09:34 AM
so far only once or twice thats why I dident say anything more, I dont want to waste their time or my time untill I know its a real issue. hopefully this problem does not come back. Iam going to have to devot a whole day to getting it looked at which is a nono for me.

Krakor
11-11-2008, 09:44 AM
I hear ya.

Mississauga Mazda wants me to bring it in so they can verify that it is an issue then they will order the parts. It happens constantly over bumps or uneven pavement so I know it is the real issue.

I am not sure what the do to fix it. I see they replace some rubber pads but what needs to be done? Anything taken apart?

Could I do this myself?

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Krakor,

Thanks for taking the time to list some of the things you noticed. Like you, I am a long time Mazda owner, although I've had other cars also during those times.

I am going to take a more thorough look and comparison between my wife's car and mine and see if I can notice any differences. My comparison is not as relevant your own as enough has changed between the model years and between the two designs, but it's worthwhile just the same.

Thanks again.

Bean
11-21-2008, 07:13 PM
My car is haunted.

I have started hearing these sounds since Monday.

Why is it everytime I take it in for service, something else goes wrong?:flaming

mazdas3sporte
11-21-2008, 09:42 PM
just take it in and tell them about the TSB, make sure u print it and hand it to them or there gonna make excuses such as "ur hearing things, ur cars not broken in, this only applies to mazda speed 3, this only applys to older models and so on... the hassle you have to go through to prove a problem is ridiculous

Bean
11-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Okay

howes
11-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Hey Guys/Gals

Just had my car in for the first service at MOT. I had the windshield noise and a door rattle on both front doors. I waited for 2 hrs and they fixed everything!!! The windshield noise is the outside rain splash guard under the wipers and the doors were the regulator's. Not one noise now. SWEET

09 GT/LUX

Bean
11-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Lucky you

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Bean,

If you really want the problems/noises fixed in your car, assuming they happen all the time, this is what you really need to do. It will avoid the scenario's where the dealer comes back and says they cannot replicate or diagnose the problem.

When you make your appointment, ask for the service advisor, service manager and/or actual technician to come along for a drive with you in the car. Do not accept no for an answer as you have every right to request this. Tell them you want them to hear the various noises first hand, as you are frustrated by them and would like them fixed and not have to come back multiple times.

Once in the car, turn off the radio, lower the air circulation to the lowest setting, close the vents and drive the car and make them listen to all the sounds you are hearing. If you hear the noise during this drive, ask them if they also heard it. Assuming these sounds are easily audible, they should easily acknowledge the noise, which means they then have to document it and work to fix it. If the sounds are normal, they will tell you this also, but should also be able to tell you exactly what you are hearing. If they can't, the sound is not normal and they need to fix it.

Also, my suggestion is not to simply hand the service advisor the TSB sheet and say I have this rattle, fix it. Explain to the advisor what you are hearing first. Tell them you are a TM3 member and in discussion with other forum members and Mazda 3 owners, it has come to your attention that a lot of 3's are experiencing this windshield/dash/cowl rattle. Tell them you want someone to come for a ride with you to hear and diagnose whether this is the same problem, as you are not 100% sure, and that they are the 'experts'...
Then, provide the advisor a copy of the TSB and tell them that this is the work that was performed by other dealers on other Mazda3's and it seems to have corrected their issues. Then, go for the drive and take it from there...

There isn't much good just telling the service advisor about noises in your car. Rarely does the correct info get passed to the actual tech and the tech is on the clock to get your car in and out as fast as possible. He won't spend much time trying to diagnose mysterious noises unless they are readily apparent. This is why you need someone, ideally the tech himself, to come with you on the drive and hear the noises first hand.

Good luck.

Bean
11-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Okay. Will do that next time I am scheduling an appt.

Krakor
11-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I had my car in at Mississauga Mazda today to try and take care of the dash/cowl rattle.

4 hours later, still making the same noise as before.

I saw him swap the cowl a few times, replaced rubber several times and even added a foam tape under the cowl. Still did not fix it.

The tech heard it too. He drove it 3 or 4 times and he even said he can't seem to get rid of it.

Not sure what to do now.

Any ideas?

Bean
11-28-2008, 04:33 PM
I might have to Get rid of the car. In January, we might have no choice.

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-28-2008, 11:08 PM
I had my car in at Mississauga Mazda today to try and take care of the dash/cowl rattle.

4 hours later, still making the same noise as before.

I saw him swap the cowl a few times, replaced rubber several times and even added a foam tape under the cowl. Still did not fix it.

The tech heard it too. He drove it 3 or 4 times and he even said he can't seem to get rid of it.

Not sure what to do now.

Any ideas?

Krakor, did you give a copy of the TSB to the service advisor and tech at Mississauga Mazda? Did they specifically install those parts? If not, I suggest you print off the TSB and then take your car over to Oakville Mazda who is already aware of this issue and how to correct it. I had my car done over a month ago and the dash/cowl rattle no longer makes any noise, even when the temps were -10.

Yes, do what I might be doing. Get rid of the car. In January, we might have no choice.

Bean, suggest to someone to get rid of their new car because they have a dash rattle that is easily addressed? I mean c'mon, really...

Look, we get it, you believe you have a lemon for a car and you hear mysterious noises. I empathize with you and hopefully you get whatever problems you might have, fixed on your next service visit. However, unless you are going to add something constructive to this thread, please go post your negative comments somewhere else on the forum. They aren't adding anything here and come across as repetitive whining and woe as me attitude...

Bean
11-28-2008, 11:26 PM
We will probably be losing the car due to the fact we cannot afford the lease anymore. I am sorry if I seemed mean in my message, but when you are faced with something like this, a little unhappiness is allowed.

By the way, I reworded my earlier message. I did not mean for him to get rid of his car, I was too upset at the time and did not type it properly. Please accept my apology. :(

Krakor
11-29-2008, 05:17 PM
I don't have the actual TSB but the the advisor said that they have the bulletin from Mazda and they were going to try a few things.

Do you have the actual TSB with the parts to replace?

Where can I get a copy of it? I will go to Oakville Mazda next time.

How long did it take for yours?

Thanks.

Jeff0
12-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Any update on this? Thus it really solved the rattle in this colder days? I just recently noticed a rattle on my windshield.

Bean
12-23-2008, 09:50 PM
My whole dashboard sounds like the charge of the light brigade.

Tuga
12-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Im also interested in a copy of the TSB if anybody knows where we can get a copy.

12-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Print this and give it to your dealer:
------------------------------
CHATTERING NOISE AT BASE OF WINDSHIELD COWL GRILL
Applicable Models

MTOL - 5636 Dealer Repair Information
Symptom and Conditions

Repair Procedure

cy88
12-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Print this and give it to your dealer:
------------------------------
CHATTERING NOISE AT BASE OF WINDSHIELD COWL GRILL
Applicable Models

MTOL - 5636 Dealer Repair Information
Symptom and Conditions

Repair Procedure

Yup, this worked like a charm. I went to Agincourt Mazda and the service manager Karen took care of it!

Avoid the sales department of Agincourt mazda at all cost please, but their service department is quite decent, usually.

Zoom Zoom Boy
01-06-2009, 03:12 PM
To update, yes, the TSB I originally posted (first post in this thread guys and gals...) completely corrected the windshield/dash/cowl rattle I was experiencing. It no longer rattles at all even temperatures as cold as -20.

Ogata
01-16-2009, 02:07 AM
I still have a rattle when I accelerate as it only happens when I rev it up...not sure if its related to this though...haven't had time to bring it back to have them diagnose it.

bbell1984
01-24-2009, 05:22 PM
yup so i printed this out and took it in while i had a tone of stuff done at Mazda of Toronto and got shut down, the print out didn't work for me.:flaming

Mazda3X2
01-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Didn't work for me either. Bay Mazda here said that the Canadian version of this was very specific and only for the 2007 MS3. These guys will find a way out of just about everything.

They looked at my wife's 08.5 and instead of trying this fix they "adjusted" something that they said fixed the problem. Well of course nothing has changed.

If I have one huge complaint about Mazda it's that they're service department (at least this one) severely lacks anyone with enough energy or professionalism to get the job done right.

cwp_sedan
01-25-2009, 09:41 AM
yup so i printed this out and took it in while i had a tone of stuff done at Mazda of Toronto and got shut down, the print out didn't work for me.:flaming

That's odd. I haven't done this yet but I was already told by Vincent that they were going to do this when "I" had time, as they need a few hours for the fix. This was last year unfortunately but it should be still in there computer. Next time maybe get Joe or Jeff to talk to them about it?

Bean
01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
I will ask Joe or Jeff about it too. I hope something can be done as it is rather annoying. I feel like I am driving a 15 year piece of crap instead of a 2 year old Japanese built car.

cwp_sedan
01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm planning on having this done when I have my 48K service which is coming up fairly soon. It's been driving me nuts, along with the center console and seat belt squeaks and creaks.

Bean
01-25-2009, 12:46 PM
What irks me is why do the dealers repair it sometimes and not all of the problems?

I do not call this a Good Customer Service practice if this is how Mazda works.:flaming

cwp_sedan
01-25-2009, 01:14 PM
What irks me is why do the dealers repair it sometimes and not all of the problems?

I do not call this a Good Customer Service practice if this is how Mazda works.:flaming

Some service people are idiots. Unfortunately the world is full of idiots...lol

Bean
01-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Some service people are idiots. Unfortunately the world is full of idiots...lol

Isnt that the truth! As someone who specializes in Customer Service, I do not consider this a good thing on Mazdas part. Any wonder people are trading these cars in so much lately.

Mazda3X2
01-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Since 2003 when we bought our first new Mazda (a Protege) in to Mazda for service, at least at this location has been severely lacking. Everything from dodging responsibilities to inferior work.

Just last time we had the wife's 2008.5 3 in for the windshield rattle and for them to re-aim the washer jets. They adjusted them right over the roof of the car and in the process ran it dry of fluid. When they changed her radio they left all the cd's in the changer and of course never bothered to set her presets or the time again. Nice.

Sorry, I'm starting to go into a bit of a rant here. :flaming This kind of stuff drives me nuts, and believe me the list goes on.

Bean
01-25-2009, 09:25 PM
We decided we are going to get out of the lease so I wont have to worry about my lemon anymore. We just cannot afford it anymore.

macman_ca
02-18-2009, 01:05 AM
I have had my 09 now for a month and I have noticed this annoying rattle... I have been loosing my eyes trying to see if it was my windsheild wipers... very annoying on a brand new car!!!

casperwonder
02-18-2009, 06:12 PM
we all had the same problem, just turn your tune higher. It only happens in the winter. You can bring it to the dealer but most likely they couldn't duplicate the same noise that bugs the head out of you. Let's hope it goes away next year. Good Luck.

CWP-GT
02-27-2009, 12:12 AM
My '09 had this problem. Brought it into the dealership and they replaced 8 clips under the cowling.Problem is now gone!. The Tech told me that the TSB for this only included up to '08 and that I was the first '09 they had tried this on. Only had it fixed a week ago, but so far no issues.

swales
02-27-2009, 08:47 AM
I had mine "fixed" a couple of months ago but the problem is starting to come back....it's pretty sad when my '04 had less problems then my '08.5 MS3

Krakor
02-27-2009, 09:02 AM
I have to agree. My 2005 3 GT had no issues whatsoever! Great car.
I did expect this new 2008.5 to impress me as much.

But so far - NO!

Lots of rattles and weird noises.

I was told that the dash rattle does not affect any vehicle except the Speed3. I have this rattle and today being +9 degress celsius, I still heard it.

I also noticed that when I had my windows down partially for the first time since I bought the car, listening to my music on 20 (Same as 12 on the older stereos), that my windows rattled! WTF! I also noticed several times a rattle coming from both back speakers during bassy parts of songs.

I am seriously thinking about selling this car and going to another company.

Anyone want to buy my 2008.5 M3 Sport GT hatch?

I would even be willing to let you take over the payments! I don't even want a down payment. I have only had this car since Nov 2008. So far 10,283 kms.

Sad, isn't it?

Bean
02-27-2009, 12:27 PM
I have to agree. My 2005 3 GT had no issues whatsoever! Great car.
I did expect this new 2008.5 to impress me as much.

But so far - NO!

Lots of rattles and weird noises.

I was told that the dash rattle does not affect any vehicle except the Speed3. I have this rattle and today being +9 degress celsius, I still heard it.

I also noticed that when I had my windows down partially for the first time since I bought the car, listening to my music on 20 (Same as 12 on the older stereos), that my windows rattled! WTF! I also noticed several times a rattle coming from both back speakers during bassy parts of songs.

I am seriously thinking about selling this car and going to another company.

Anyone want to buy my 2008.5 M3 Sport GT hatch?

I would even be willing to let you take over the payments! I don't even want a down payment. I have only had this car since Nov 2008. So far 10,283 kms.

Sad, isn't it?

I know what you mean.

I got this car thinking Great, its Made in Japan, boy was I disappointed.

mazdabetty
02-28-2009, 06:01 PM
haha aww poor bean... such bad luck :(

Sucks to hear the 08 is having so many problems... haven't heard any shakes or rattles from my 05, I think this may just be the first thing I've ever purchased that isn't a lemon! :whoa

*knocks on wood a million times........

Bean
02-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I hope it stays that way, MazdaBetty :)

Car was really bad today, but oh well, not going to have it much longer, so no big deal.

mazdas3sporte
03-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Leslie we should throw u a party for getting rid of ur lemon!

alex007
03-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Got mine car serviced yesterday at Westowne Mazda (regular maintenance). Showed them a printout from the first message in this thread. Replaced with no questions asked.

My car (08.5 M3 Sport GT) was having a windshield rattle noise when passing over bumps on average speeds. That noise is gone hopefully forever.

samsvoc
03-10-2009, 03:15 AM
My '09 had this problem. Brought it into the dealership and they replaced 8 clips under the cowling.Problem is now gone!. The Tech told me that the TSB for this only included up to '08 and that I was the first '09 they had tried this on. Only had it fixed a week ago, but so far no issues.

Which dealership did you go to? I went to M of T and they tell me since my car is older than 12months and over 20,000km, that it would cost $140 to fix. Not covered under warranty. Total BS. I'm losing faith in Mazda service and looking to buy the Honda Fit/ Ford Fiesta or the New VW Golf next spring.

Bean
03-10-2009, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=samsvoc;397584]Which dealership did you go to? I went to M of T and they tell me since my car is older than 12months and over 20,000km, that it would cost $140 to fix. Not covered under warranty. Total BS. I'm losing faith in Mazda service and looking to buy the Honda Fit/ Ford Fiesta or the New VW Golf next spring.[/QUO

I am now driving a 1998 Corolla. It actually not only runs better than my 07 3 but does not rattle at all. We are borrowing it from hubbies Mom as his brother passed away last week :(

dL.
03-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooo much! For all this time, I was blaming on the auto glass shop for poor work on the installation of the windshield when all along it's the stupid cowl making noise. The weird part I always couldn't convince my glass shop is that the noise is only apparent during very cold temperatures.

Hopefully the dealership will replace for me. By the way, which is the TSB # that I have to present to the service department or should I just print out the whole thing to show them?

dL

samsvoc
03-11-2009, 02:14 AM
Go to this page http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/ and look for CHATTERING NOISE AT BASE OF WINDSHIELD COWL GRILL. Print out a copy and bring it to your dealer. My dealer didn't bother:loco to even look at the print out. Last time M of T sees my $$$$$.:complain

Krakor
03-11-2009, 08:41 AM
When we had the 15 degree weather the other week, I could still hear my windshield/cowl noise.

Did anyone else hear it from their cars during the warmer weather?
I don't believe it is strictly weatehr related. It was louder and more apparent in the colder temps, but I still heard it during the warmer temps.

Am I crazy?

Bean
03-11-2009, 08:48 AM
No. You are not crazy. I heard it too. I hear it all the time now.

Krakor
03-11-2009, 08:54 AM
No. You are not crazy. I heard it too. I hear it all the time now.

Ok Good... well not good but good that I am not crazy...

Or did that last sentence make me sound like it?

Oh well.

I am getting a bunch of mods done next week at Oakville Mazda so I have asked Andrew to get the cowl kit done as well.

samsvoc
03-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Since it's warmer out, I don't hear the cowl noise any longer. It only makes noise when its very cold. Maybe I should move to California.:)

macman_ca
03-24-2009, 11:51 PM
I did go to the dealer, but they couldn't find it and the head of service also did seem to care about the mention of the bulletin. I just looked on the site listed and I can't find the bulletin, maybe I am blind.... I still do hear it, even with the weather warming up...

macman_ca:)

Bean
03-25-2009, 11:49 AM
I still hear it and now my back shelf is rattling. Oh well.

cwp_sedan
03-25-2009, 11:53 AM
I still hear it and now my back shelf is rattling. Oh well.

I thought you were getting rid of your car?

Mine does too. Unless you remove it to add something to dampen the sound/rattle, it will always be there.

Bean
03-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Right now. Everything is up in the air. We dont know what the next day will bring and Mazda is being lenient with us and allowing us to make payments. They really dont seem to want to take the car back. Maybe I should bite my tongue on that.

samsvoc
03-25-2009, 04:38 PM
I did go to the dealer, but they couldn't find it and the head of service also did seem to care about the mention of the bulletin. I just looked on the site listed and I can't find the bulletin, maybe I am blind.... I still do hear it, even with the weather warming up...

Go to http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/ then click Mazda3 top left of page. From there find the numbers MT000005636 CHATTERING NOISE AT BASE OF WINDSHIELD COWL GRILL it's 68 lines down. Click the link. Hope this helps.

Zoom Zoom Boy
03-26-2009, 10:49 AM

Go to the first post on this thread.

Hives
04-03-2009, 11:57 AM
I have noticed this as well. When I replace my windshield, I will see if its still there

cwp_sedan
04-03-2009, 11:58 AM
I have noticed this as well. When I replace my windshield, I will see if its still there

It will be. I've already had mine replaced and my rattle stayed.

Zoom Zoom Boy
04-04-2009, 07:10 AM
It will be. I've already had mine replaced and my rattle stayed.

It's because it is not the windshield that rattles. It is a slip-stick condition with clips in the cowl grill that causes the chatter. If these are replaced with the proper part noted in the TSB, the noise will go away.

Bai
04-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I have this rattle but it only happens when the temp is negative. How many of you here were being replaced by the dealer under TSB and which dealership?

cwp_sedan
04-04-2009, 11:15 AM
It's because it is not the windshield that rattles. It is a slip-stick condition with clips in the cowl grill that causes the chatter. If these are replaced with the proper part noted in the TSB, the noise will go away.

Oh I know. I've actually seen a couple pictures and video clips of the issue from M3F members. Just replying to the person commenting about the windshield.

Zoom Zoom Boy
04-04-2009, 01:59 PM
I have this rattle but it only happens when the temp is negative. How many of you here were being replaced by the dealer under TSB and which dealership?

Dave Wood in Newmarket performed the fix for me with no issue. They are aware of this problem on some of the 3's as they had another car in the shop with the exact same problem when I came and brought them the TSB.

bj21
04-13-2009, 11:04 AM
i had the dreaded windshield chatter / cowl rattle and i also broke my windshield recently....Oakville Mazda was yanking me around a bit (would not fix on a Saturday - insisted that i bring car in during the week and leave it there during the day) so i had the rattle problem for several months (going back to last October)

decided to replace the windshield before i booked weekday appt with Oakville Mazda and lo & behold the new windshield fixed the problem

so if you have a broken windshield - i would definitely replace first....it may solve the problem

Krakor
04-13-2009, 11:19 AM
I had mine in to Oakville Mazda last week and they seemed to have fixed it with the mod kit for the bulletin.

Mine would do it even at about +6 to +8 degrees C.

No noise now.

Every dealership told me that it only affects the MazdaSpeed 3's. Not true. I have the 08.5 Sport GT hatch and I had the issue.

Speed 3 Demon
06-16-2009, 10:20 PM
I have had my 09 now for a month and I have noticed this annoying rattle... I have been loosing my eyes trying to see if it was my windsheild wipers... very annoying on a brand new car!!!

I hear ya. Brand new 09 ms3 and stuff is rattling. I'm having mine serviced soon and hopefully it'll be fixed.

Bean
06-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Dont get your hopes up

Zoom Zoom Boy
06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Dont get your hopes up

Almost every single post or comment from you...

http://collectingtokens.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/eeyore_rain.jpg

Bean
06-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Get off my back

Zoom Zoom Boy
06-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Did I ask for your comment? Get off my back

Nope, you did not. However, I doubt most of the OP's on here ask for your negative and pessimistic comments either. Since this thread was actually started by me and you seem to continually come in here with your negativity, but add zero value or insight whatsoever, why don't you kindly take said issues elsewhere, or at the least, contribute something to this forum and community aside from your constant complaining, general negativity and pessimism.

This thread was created to help people who experience this issue and provide them with the TSB info that will fix it. It was not created as a place for you to vent.

Bean
06-17-2009, 03:36 PM
I am sorry. Please accept my apology.

Karen Lee-McNair
06-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi All,

my name is Karen Lee-McNair and I am the Service Manager at Agincourt Mazda.
One of my MazdaSpeed3 owners came in with this bulletin, I performed it, and in colder weather it re-appeared.
I have a possible solution which I used quite frequently when I was with Honda, simply added a foam insulation behind the front dash. In colder weather the trim can begin to creak. It's not very difficult, as I never remove the dash area - simply remove the windshield and install the insulation. The unfortunate part is that this service will take a full day, as you should not drive a vehicle for approxiamately 4 hours after re-sealing a windshield.

If there is anyone who would like to come in, to confirm if this repair will apply to your concern, let me know. Of course, this repair is only covered while under the comprehensive warranty (3 years and/or 80,000km)

k_lee@agincourtmazda.com or 416-283-6207

www.agincourtmazda.com

I have already performed this repair twice on 2008 Mazda 3's, and so far no complaints!

cy88
06-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi All,

my name is Karen Lee-McNair and I am the Service Manager at Agincourt Mazda.
One of my MazdaSpeed3 owners came in with this bulletin, I performed it, and in colder weather it re-appeared.
I have a possible solution which I used quite frequently when I was with Honda, simply added a foam insulation behind the front dash. In colder weather the trim can begin to creak. It's not very difficult, as I never remove the dash area - simply remove the windshield and install the insulation. The unfortunate part is that this service will take a full day, as you should not drive a vehicle for approxiamately 4 hours after re-sealing a windshield.

If there is anyone who would like to come in, to confirm if this repair will apply to your concern, let me know. Of course, this repair is only covered while under the comprehensive warranty (3 years and/or 80,000km)

k_lee@agincourtmazda.com or 416-283-6207

www.agincourtmazda.com

I have already performed this repair twice on 2008 Mazda 3's, and so far no complaints!

That "One" owner would be me :)

The problem still appear when the weather is cold, I'll come see you again before winter Karen!

Karen Lee-McNair
06-24-2009, 02:50 PM

The problem still appear when the weather is cold, I'll come see you again before winter Karen!

LOL! yes it is!

TheMAN
06-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I did a different fix with the 6 when they came in with a dashboard rattle.... unbolt the dashboard frame and insert large washers between the dashboard frame and the firewall and bolt it back together... it forced the dashboard away from the windshield area and it fixed it :)

Karen Lee-McNair
06-24-2009, 10:30 PM
I did a different fix with the 6 when they came in with a dashboard rattle.... unbolt the dashboard frame and insert large washers between the dashboard frame and the firewall and bolt it back together... it forced the dashboard away from the windshield area and it fixed it :)

Thanks for the tip! It sounds like an easier solution.

Enji
08-05-2009, 07:58 PM

I"ll possibly have to come in for this..and for some reason my passenger seat is sqeeking lol. I think I know that car....

pacmann33
08-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Nooooo! not a 2010! I'm waiting for my 2010 sport GT LOL they should have zero problems right ;)

Let us know how you make out with the rattle.

Speed 3 Demon
09-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Hey all! For those of you with a cowl/dash rattle on the ms3 or m3, I just took mine to the dealership, with the TSB from this site and told them about it. They replaced some clips while I was in for an oil change, and done...no more rattle. Very easy fix and great now that it's gone. Hope this helps.

Speed 3 Demon
09-07-2009, 12:43 PM
And here's the bulletin I used

I've posted this in the Mazdaspeed section under stock issues, but since it affects both the MS3 and the MZ3 and possibly even the Mazda5 too, I thought it would be more appropriate to post all the info here.

This TSB isn't yet listed officially on the U.S.A. dealer TSB site, but most of the Canadian dealers are aware of its existance and can order the parts to address the problem.

CHATTERING NOISE AT BASE OF WINDSHIELD COWL GRILL Applicable Models

MTOL - 5636 Dealer Repair InformationSymptom and Conditions

Repair Procedure

I have had my MS3 in for this TSB and this does resolve the windshield/cowl rattle condition, at least it has for the past 2 weeks. We'll see once it gets even colder out.

The N/C invoice I received back from the dealer showed the following:

A Check Windshield Chatter/Rattle
Replaced as per bulletin
S0412XRX .4

INT./EXT. Trim and Hardware
MZ L206-50-794 Protector x 8

samsvoc
09-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I had a tech hear the noise when I went into MofT and they told me it wasn't covered under my 3yr 80k warranty. It would cost $140 and they wouldn't even guarantee it would be fixed. That's the last time they see my $$$:blah.:complain
I went to the dealer where I bought my second mazda ( and I live 5 mins south of MofT) and they installed the 8 felt washers without the hassle I received at MofT.
Achilles Mazda is where I went for service (I work in Milton) and since they've given me top notch service, I'll be doing ALL my service with them. F MofT.:bang

As for the cowl noise, it's too warm out to see if the fix worked but I know I can go back to Achilles for a second fix it needed.:)

samsvoc
12-15-2009, 09:29 PM
I had a tech hear the noise when I went into MofT and they told me it wasn't covered under my 3yr 80k warranty. It would cost $140 and they wouldn't even guarantee it would be fixed. That's the last time they see my $$$:blah.:complain
I went to the dealer where I bought my second mazda ( and I live 5 mins south of MofT) and they installed the 8 felt washers without the hassle I received at MofT.
Achilles Mazda is where I went for service (I work in Milton) and since they've given me top notch service, I'll be doing ALL my service with them. F MofT.:bang

As for the cowl noise, it's too warm out to see if the fix worked but I know I can go back to Achilles for a second fix it needed.:)

Thanks to Achilles Mazda as I can confirm my cowl noise is gone.

Ogata
12-17-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm at Agincourt Mazda right now for a Brake Inspection and showed them this TSB and they were not going to fix it unless they can "duplicate" it due to the fact that they can't claim it from Mazda Canada if it gets replaced.

macman_ca
12-17-2009, 04:47 PM
My 09 has the rattle back again now that the cold weather is her to stay... anyone had any luck getting it repaired??

samsvoc
12-17-2009, 05:55 PM
My 09 has the rattle back again now that the cold weather is her to stay... anyone had any luck getting it repaired??

I first went to :bang:bang:bangMofT:bang:bang:bang and they say it's out of the 12months 20k warranty. It would cost $140 to fix and they wouldn't guarantee it would fix the problem. What, give them $140 and no guarantee. I went to my purchasing dealer and they said it's covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. IT'S FIXED. I don't hear that god awful squeak rattle. Go to Achilles :bowdownin Acton. They will take care of you.

Ogata
12-18-2009, 12:01 AM
I first went to :bang:bang:bangMofT:bang:bang:bang and they say it's out of the 12months 20k warranty. It would cost $140 to fix and they wouldn't guarantee it would fix the problem. What, give them $140 and no guarantee. I went to my purchasing dealer and they said it's covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. IT'S FIXED. I don't hear that god awful squeak rattle. Go to Achilles :bowdownin Acton. They will take care of you.

Samsvoc, I would lay down on bashing MoT as you mentioned it in your previous post and should just state where you bought it to get it done. As for my issue, my dealer is inquiring to Mazda Canada to see if this fix is valid for my car.

cy88
12-18-2009, 05:38 AM
I'm at Agincourt Mazda right now for a Brake Inspection and showed them this TSB and they were not going to fix it unless they can "duplicate" it due to the fact that they can't claim it from Mazda Canada if it gets replaced.

Sad that Karen have left Agincourt Mazda. Seems like the service department is going downhill....

Last year when I talk to Karen (Service manager), she replaced it right away after I showed her the TSB. She was a great asset to the dealership. I don't even know where I can bring my car to now if an issue comes up.

samsvoc
12-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Samsvoc, I would lay down on bashing MoT as you mentioned it in your previous post and should just state where you bought it to get it done. As for my issue, my dealer is inquiring to Mazda Canada to see if this fix is valid for my car.

Dude, I'm not bashing anyone, just stating THE FACTS.

Ogata
01-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Has anyone recently gone to their dealer to get this done? I'm starting to notice this rattle but it only happens intermittently

aris
01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Has anyone recently gone to their dealer to get this done? I'm starting to notice this rattle but it only happens intermittently

I'm starting to hear a rattle in my dash when i have the heat on the floor full blast it's starting to drve me nuts:flaming

optiklenz13
01-13-2010, 11:10 AM
i've contacted Oakville Mazda with regards to this one, never got a reply as to when i can take my car in. I would understand the holidays, but holidays are now over. so far not a good impression for me seeing as i bought the car there too. tsk tsk tsk..

samsvoc
01-13-2010, 12:00 PM

I went to Achilles Mazda:star in Acton late fall to have this fixed. To my surprise, no more rattles/ticks coming from the windshield.:) They did fix it under my 3yr/80k warranty. All they did was to install 8 felt pads.

Also had them fix squeaky noise when going over speed bumps. That one took a few trips as they didn't have the parts in stock. All good now. I'm happy with my mazda again. Guys, get everything fixed before your warranties run out.

Ogata
01-13-2010, 12:56 PM
I went to Achilles Mazda:star in Acton late fall to have this fixed. To my surprise, no more rattles/ticks coming from the windshield.:) They did fix it under my 3yr/80k warranty. All they did was to install 8 felt pads.

Also had them fix squeaky noise when going over speed bumps. That one took a few trips as they didn't have the parts in stock. All good now. I'm happy with my mazda again. Guys, get everything fixed before your warranties run out.

How did they fix the squeaky noise?

thanu31
01-13-2010, 02:33 PM
I have the squeaky noise too
getting it fixed Friday

Its apparently a common problem, and the noise is coming from the belt buckle.

samsvoc
01-14-2010, 12:16 AM
How did they fix the squeaky noise?

First went to MofT, they replaced the lower control arms and still had the squeek. Went to Achilles, they replaced the front stabilizer bushings and it made the noise worse. Went back to Achilles this past Tuesday and they replaced front lower control arm bushing and the noise is now gone.

As for the windshield noise, all they did was install 8 felt washers and the noise is gone. On a side note, I had the windshield replaced by Speedy Gonzales last summer as I had a rather large crack on the base of the windshield.

Jon2000
01-14-2010, 01:42 PM
I've had awesome service from St. Catharines Mazda (I purchased my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 from Gyro Mazda a few weeks ago). So far I've had all the recalls done, the front swap bar bushings replaced (loud creaking/scraping sounds when the weather is very cold) and the windshield cowl pads installed. I'm bringing it in soon to have the squeaky seat belts fixed - there's an updated washer that needs to be installed. The car is so much quieter now and it doesn't sound like it's falling apart.

liquidzyklon
01-15-2010, 09:38 PM
I visited MofT between X-Mas and New Year for them to diagnose the problem and order the parts (the felt washers). I need to find some time to bring my car in this week for them to replace the parts. They told me it can take up to 1/2 day during weekdays and 1 full day on Saturday because they don't want to tie up their techs test driving the car to ensure the rattle is fixed.

Ogata
01-15-2010, 10:28 PM
I visited MofT between X-Mas and New Year for them to diagnose the problem and order the parts (the felt washers). I need to find some time to bring my car in this week for them to replace the parts. They told me it can take up to 1/2 day during weekdays and 1 full day on Saturday because they don't want to tie up their techs test driving the car to ensure the rattle is fixed.

Did you just bring it in and tell them that or were you able to replicate the issue?

liquidzyklon
01-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Did you just bring it in and tell them that or were you able to replicate the issue?I was able to replicate the issue on colder days, approx -10C. Vincent managed to hear the noise and told Joe to order the parts. He also showed me the TSB for Mazda Canada and my car did not fall into that range but he ordered the parts to get it fixed within the 1 year / 20k warranty.

EastCoast
02-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Has anyone had this same problem with a 2009? I have a rattle on the passenger side of mine that sounds like it it behind the glove compartment.

Ogata
02-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I was able to replicate the issue on colder days, approx -10C. Vincent managed to hear the noise and told Joe to order the parts. He also showed me the TSB for Mazda Canada and my car did not fall into that range but he ordered the parts to get it fixed within the 1 year / 20k warranty.

....Did you drive with him sitting in?

liquidzyklon
02-03-2010, 05:00 PM
....Did you drive with him sitting in?Nope, he drove the car himself but that day was so cold that even a deaf person should be able to hear the rattle.

So after I've got the fix, it's definitely improved but not 100% eliminated. There's still a slight rattle on the far passenger side and it's not the glove box (since I did this fix myself with foam + electrical tape). The small rattle now is very quiet so it's very hard for someone else to hear it and it's not worth the trouble to bring the car back in again. Now if someone had photos + steps of how to take apart the plastic piece where the dash meets the windshield, then I'm sure we can all create our own fix with more foam. But I worry about the passenger airbag...

Magnitudex
02-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I went into Windsor Mazda (Shit Service Department/Shit Dealership) they told me that they will not do the fix because its only covered under the trim warranty (20K / 1 yr) and not under the 3yrs/80K warranty..is there anything that I can do to force them to do this fix?

cwp_sedan
02-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I went into Windsor Mazda (Shit Service Department/Shit Dealership) they told me that they will not do the fix because its only covered under the trim warranty (20K / 1 yr) and not under the 3yrs/80K warranty..is there anything that I can do to force them to do this fix?

Nope. MOT wouldn't do mine either. It all depends how good of a dealership you have. Each is different for helping you out.

Ogata
03-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Nope. MOT wouldn't do mine either. It all depends how good of a dealership you have. Each is different for helping you out.

I'm getting mine done but waiting for the parts to arrive. For some reason the dealer I'm going to is also ordering a new cowl as well.

cwp_sedan
03-05-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm getting mine done but waiting for the parts to arrive. For some reason the dealer I'm going to is also ordering a new cowl as well.

Who is this?

samsvoc
03-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I got my fix through Achilles Mazda under the 3yr. 80K warranty. No more squeaks since the fix.

omalak
03-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Had this problem, went to Oakville Mazda not too long ago, they put in teflon tape pads under the cowl.. its stopped the rattle for a while.. but now its back.. i'm wondering if i should go back and ask them to replace the whole cowl ?

annoying as hell

Zoom Zoom Boy
03-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Had this problem, went to Oakville Mazda not too long ago, they put in teflon tape pads under the cowl.. its stopped the rattle for a while.. but now its back.. i'm wondering if i should go back and ask them to replace the whole cowl ?

annoying as hell

Did they actually execute the TSB too and replace the cowl pads as per the TSB? The whole cowl should not need to be replaced.

Ogata
03-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Did they actually execute the TSB too and replace the cowl pads as per the TSB? The whole cowl should not need to be replaced.

I will find out once they call me but they said it was a "pre-caution" incase the soft screws don't fix it for me as they do not want me calling them back again wtih an issue.

MPS
03-07-2010, 12:50 AM
what dealer is that ??
Prima shut me down on that fix not even washers =( car has less then 20k also

Ogata
03-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Who is this?

Agincourt Mazda after showing them this thread since this TSB did not appear on their system but after a few calls, my parts have been ordered and I should receive a call next week when the parts are in so that I can setup an appointment.

MPS
03-07-2010, 12:55 PM
well i guess ill never get my fix then
cus apparently i was banned from there

Ogata
03-07-2010, 12:59 PM

How do you get banned from a dealership? =)

MPS
03-07-2010, 01:14 PM
ask Karen

Zoom Zoom Boy
03-07-2010, 02:33 PM
I will find out once they call me but they said it was a "pre-caution" incase the soft screws don't fix it for me as they do not want me calling them back again wtih an issue.

In most cases, the parts in the TSB will fix the problem entirely. It did for my MS3. Dave Wood Mazda executed the TSB for me about a year and a half ago and now after 2 winters, it still doesn't rattle anymore.

However, some people who get the TSB parts still have a faint rattling afterwards. This is where installing the teflon tape pads, and/or insulator strip should help eliminate the noise.

Take it to DWM Vlad. Provided of course you're not banned from there too. :)

MPS
03-07-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm not and will never show my face there again bunch of hacks work there
and they love modded cars (hint hint) even mine is stock i still wont go there

omalak
03-07-2010, 07:39 PM

Oakvile said the TSB applied only to the MS3, and i don't need to have the parts replaced. they just put teflon tape on for me, and explained since the weather is cold i will hear the rattles..

umm.. i had no issues last year..

I will have to go back and insist they follow the TSB.

I also linled them to this thread, not sure if they read through it

Zoom Zoom Boy
03-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm not and will never show my face there again bunch of hacks work there
and they love modded cars (hint hint) even mine is stock i still wont go there

Okay, Agincourt's out due to ban. DWM apparently have hacks, even though they have two Mazda Master tehcs and another on training. How about MOT?

MPS
03-07-2010, 09:47 PM
banned lol
i use Street Performance for warranty lol Jimmy is my warranty :chuckle

Zoom Zoom Boy
03-07-2010, 10:14 PM
banned lol
i use Street Performance for warranty lol Jimmy is my warranty :chuckle

LOL. I knew that, you told me... I was having some fun. :)

Jimmy is the best warranty any of us could ask for.

Vlad, in all seriousness though, go to a dealer and buy the cowl pads from them. The original post lists the quantity and part number. They are pretty cheap I believe. Then just have Jimmy install them or do it yourself since I know you're mechanically inclined. It should solve the problem, but if not, it will be a hell of a lot better than currently and you can then place some insulator strips that should solve it altogether.

MPS
03-07-2010, 10:17 PM
i know its ezy to do but FFS i have warranty

Zoom Zoom Boy
03-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Yah, I hear you. It bugs me that not all dealerships step up to correct this, but then, the TSB is not Canadian... I'm sure they have a comparable one though and should just fix it as this is a really common problem. I know when I had mine done, the tech had another regular 3 in with the same problem and had the entire dash out trying to correct. He was actually happy I brought the TSB as it saves them all a lot of work...

cwp_sedan
03-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Okay, Agincourt's out due to ban. DWM apparently have hacks, even though they have two Mazda Master tehcs and another on training. How about MOT?

For around $100 MOT will do it for you...:bang

Ogata
03-08-2010, 12:14 AM
For around $100 MOT will do it for you...:bang

and that was from Vincent's mouth or did you ask Ali?

MPS
03-08-2010, 12:23 AM
i don't want to pay for any warranty items WTF and i was thinking of getting extended warranty also (what was i thinking)

liquidzyklon
03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I was under the impression that as long as the dealer has to order parts to fix your problem, it should be covered within the 3yr/60,000 km bumper to bumper warranty. However, if after the install you still have the rattle and you require some tweaking then it's only covered within the 1st year/20,000 km.

So I've got the fix back in Dec 2009 and there is still a faint rattle so I decided to fix it myself following the instructions from M3F. (http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=130922.0;all) Too bad it's not getting cold anymore to hear the rattle. Maybe I should also increase the padding and cushioning of the cowl onto the windshield as a precaution for next year.

cwp_sedan
03-10-2010, 09:00 PM
and that was from Vincent's mouth or did you ask Ali?

Vincent of course. I tell off Ali as soon as I walk in and he tries to help me. Trust me, MOT will not fix this for you unless you are under 20K. If you have had it done there, consider yourself lucky.

Ogata
03-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Vincent of course. I tell off Ali as soon as I walk in and he tries to help me. Trust me, MOT will not fix this for you unless you are under 20K. If you have had it done there, consider yourself lucky.

Have you tried to talk to the service manager? I didn't get mine until I brought it up with the service manager at Agincourt. STILL no callback when my parts arrived. I will have to call them tomorrow since it has been half a week now.

Ogata
03-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Have you tried to talk to the service manager? I didn't get mine until I brought it up with the service manager at Agincourt. STILL no callback when my parts arrived. I will have to call them tomorrow since it has been half a week now.

UPDATE: My parts arrived. Will be booking an appointment *shrugs*! I confirmed that they will be replacing the clips only. Can anyone else who got the fix confirm if that was it? I keep seeing something about a cloth strip.

Ogata
03-23-2010, 08:09 AM
UPDATE: My parts arrived. Will be booking an appointment *shrugs*! I confirmed that they will be replacing the clips only. Can anyone else who got the fix confirm if that was it? I keep seeing something about a cloth strip.

I'm at the dealer right now getting this fix...

cwp_sedan
03-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Maybe I will give them a call.

Ogata
03-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Maybe I will give them a call.

Is that you calling them now? XD I hear the phone ring. I would talk to Lester directly about it (hes not in right now) as his service advisors don't have a clue regarding this issue.

cwp_sedan
03-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Is that you calling them now? XD I hear the phone ring. I would talk to Lester directly about it (hes not in right now) as his service advisors don't have a clue regarding this issue.

Haha, no it's not me. I will later today though.

Ogata
03-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Just got my fix today! Going to monitor the noise but so far no rattles!

Zoom Zoom Boy
03-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Just got my fix today! Going to monitor the noise but so far no rattles!

Finally Edmund! :) Just the clips, or clips and insulator strip too?

Ogata
03-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Finally Edmund! :) Just the clips, or clips and insulator strip too?

Just clips...I realized the creaking sound I had before is GONE and it was actually the cowl. I was gonna blame the plastic cover you put on the Hatch Trunk to cover what you have in the trunk as the cause but so far IT SOUNDS LIKE IT WAS THE COWL!! :winner

Mr. Scruples
03-27-2010, 12:02 AM
This is all very interesting..

Today was the coldest it's been since I bought my car, and sure enough my dash was creaking pretty badly over every little bump. I actually thought it was the plastic surrounding the two vents in the centre console just above the stereo, but having seen this thread now, I'm pretty sure the creaks I was hearing are related to the ones described in the TSB..

Anyone else with a 2010 take a drive today and notice this?

Ogata
03-27-2010, 12:18 AM

Today was the coldest it's been since I bought my car, and sure enough my dash was creaking pretty badly over every little bump. I actually thought it was the plastic surrounding the two vents in the centre console just above the stereo, but having seen this thread now, I'm pretty sure the creaks I was hearing are related to the ones described in the TSB..

The TSB is only for 07-08's. Don't think it applies for the 10's

Mr. Scruples
03-27-2010, 12:32 AM
The TSB is only for 07-08's. Don't think it applies for the 10's

True.. but that doesn't necessarily mean the '10s aren't still susceptible.

Fact is there were creaks 'o plenty coming from that area in my car this morning, and it doesn't even have 1000kms on it yet, so something isn't right..

Ogata
03-27-2010, 12:34 AM
True.. but that doesn't necessarily mean the '10s aren't still susceptible.

Fact is there were creaks 'o plenty coming from that area in my car this morning, and it doesn't even have 1000kms on it yet, so something isn't right..

Good Luck and hope your dealer will fix it under warranty as if you skim through the thread, it took a few people some tries and even me to bring it up with my dealer to get it fixed.

09GT
07-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Don't know if this is related, but I have had a dash rattle/creak since the day I brought the car home. Occurs near the vent, LCD area in the center console. If I press down on the trim, it will make the same noise (more a creaking sound, over even slightest of bumps in the road). VERY annoying.

I had Westowne Mazda look at this twice during regular oil changes and this past time (today) the following was written:

Complaint: Check for rattling noise from front console vent area over slightest bumps
Correction: Replaced coil spacer as per bulletin and rechecked no noise heard

The moment I drove 1 foot out of the dealer I heard the noise again :bang....

....any ideas as to what else I can have them do? I don't know if this is cowl related, this is definitely from the dash vent/LCD area and a creaking (walking over hardwood floors creaking) sound.

Donutz
07-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Next time ask a tech or the service manager to take a ride with you. Show them exact scenario when you hear the noise and demistrate it to them.

sarujo
10-17-2010, 12:28 AM
2010 Sport GX 5MT here, and I just started to hear/notice dash creaking over bumps starting yesterday...gaah! I think now that the colder weather is setting in that these little quirks/weaknesses are starting to become apparent. I am not quite sure mine is related to the TSB discussed with the older models, but it is very hard to pinpoint, since I've heard noises from the circular dash area, center vents, and dash area closer to the windshield. When I go over some bumps, it almost feels like the entire dash (side to side) moves/pops a bit. I'm sure there is one or a few weak areas, but finding them will be tricky.

Any other 2010 owners noticing these issues? Given some of the dealer hassles previously mentioned, I definitely want to get this taken care of before end of 1st year/20k km.

WingZero_
10-17-2010, 12:41 AM
2010 Sport GX 5MT here, and I just started to hear/notice dash creaking over bumps starting yesterday
I have it too 2010 Sport GT. I just try to ignore it. One day i might get energetic and fix it or have it fixed.

rgray
10-17-2010, 01:40 AM
I have it too 2010 Sport GT. I just try to ignore it. One day i might get energetic and fix it or have it fixed.

I have the same car and do the same. Usually for me it only happens under more "spirited" driving or particularly large bumps. Car is about a year old now and it hasn't gone away :(

WingZero_
10-17-2010, 01:43 AM
It won't either. I'm heading into my second winter with the car, and it does it on the cold days. Too plasticy I guess, and expands from the cold weather and rubs something the wrong way.

**Decent lil mod list you have the rgray. Missing an intake tho.

omalak
10-17-2010, 11:58 PM
well thought i would chime in.. my dash rattle just came back today! guess it was cold lol.. havent had an issue all summer. back to winter and here we go again

Mr. Scruples
10-23-2010, 01:55 PM
I have a scheduled service coming up in November and I'm definitely going to be trying to get someone at the dealership to take a drive with me and hear how annoying these creaks are -- I suggest everyone else does the same.

The more we complain about it, the more likely it is that they'll issue a TSB for it like they did on previous models (and IMO the problem on 2010s is similar but different).

Squeaky dash gets the grease, after all ;)

Flunk
10-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Funny that you should mention it but my windshield rattles too, but only if it's cold and I go over rough road. It's done it pretty much since I bought the car but it goes away as soon as the windshield heats up. I was considering bringing it up at my next service appointment but it would be really hard to replicate since I would have to drive the car over there first. Maybe if I drive it over with the windows open.

P.S. plastic doesn't expand when it gets cold but metal contracts quicker than plastic.

sarujo
10-26-2010, 09:25 PM
I agree with Mr Scruples that we need to come together and let our creaks and rattles be known so they can be fixed through a TSB. The temperatures really do seem to make a difference with our cars. I got my car in the summer, and it was perfect, with no noises/rattles/creaks. As a result, my original impressions of build quality were quite high. Now that the fall is here, I can honestly say I'm a little disappointed with the noises.

In the last few days, a new noise on the left driver's side near the mirror started. I discovered that it is coming from the round rotatable air vent. When you turn it by hand you can hear/feel ball bearings move as it rotates. It would seem as if road vibration/bumps is causing these ball bearings to make a lower swishing type sound. I wonder if this can be remedied with lubricant. Seems like a bad design to me.

Anyone else notice this?

Mr. Scruples
12-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Quick update:

Took my car in for it's scheduled service this morning and brought up the creaks and rattles with the service manager there.

She said I'm not the first person with a 2010 to mention it, so at least that's something. She thinks the 'greener' they make the plastics in these cars, the less forgiving they are of cold temperatures, and I guess that's a decent-enough theory.

OTOH, she also said that tracking the problem down and fixing it would mean leaving the car with them for a couple of days as they're crazy-busy right now and would need to spend quite a bit of time insulating or shimming various bits and pieces and then driving around to see if it worked.

I'm also crazy-busy right now closing the purchase of a new house and trying to sell the old one, so I need the car more than ever and decided I'll just have to live with it for a bit longer.

I'll get it in there sometime in the new year while I'm on vacation.

TheMAN
12-02-2010, 01:02 PM
nothing "greener" about reducing the complexities of parts or cheaping out materials outright.... sad fact is that trim pieces on newer cars uses less fasteners and parts than cars of even just 10 years ago... so when you try to simplify, the margin for errors diminishes

Mr. Scruples
12-02-2010, 05:25 PM
nothing "greener" about reducing the complexities of parts or cheaping out materials outright.... sad fact is that trim pieces on newer cars uses less fasteners and parts than cars of even just 10 years ago... so when you try to simplify, the margin for errors diminishes

I think what she meant was that perhaps Mazda is using 'greener' formulations in their plastics (ie: more recycled materials, etc), and the result is that the product is less forgiving and pliable in cold temperatures than it used to be..

But yeah.. combine that with the general industry trend of trying to cut costs at every opportunity and we end up with brand new cars that creak and rattle like something out of an eastern-bloc scrapyard :/

TheMAN
12-03-2010, 09:32 AM
everyone has been using recycled plastics for quite some time now... mazda has been one of the few car companies to take that initiative and has used recycled plastics in bumpers and other trim pieces since at least 10 years ago... there's more recycled/recyclable content now than ever though

sarujo
12-05-2010, 01:01 AM
What dealer is this? I'm glad that many more of us have noticed this same issue in our 10's. It's almost like Mazda never bothered to test this car in the colder temperatures. I just cannot imagine it passing with all of the creaks and rattles I hear, especially after sitting outdoors at work all day.

Quick update:

Took my car in for it's scheduled service this morning and brought up the creaks and rattles with the service manager there.

She said I'm not the first person with a 2010 to mention it, so at least that's something. She thinks the 'greener' they make the plastics in these cars, the less forgiving they are of cold temperatures, and I guess that's a decent-enough theory.

OTOH, she also said that tracking the problem down and fixing it would mean leaving the car with them for a couple of days as they're crazy-busy right now and would need to spend quite a bit of time insulating or shimming various bits and pieces and then driving around to see if it worked.

J_man
12-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Now that I'm posting the correct thread :) ...time to complain some more. Mine creaks not only over big bumps but the smallest little imperfections in the pavement. Has anyone else been to QEW Mazda recently to see what they are willing to do about it?

And about the recyled plastics vs fewer fastners disscusion. Has anyone acutally taken the dash off and seen if it seems like it's lacking in the fastener deparment...?

Zoom Zoom Boy
12-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Now that I'm posting the correct thread :) ...time to complain some more. Mine creaks not only over big bumps but the smallest little imperfections in the pavement. Has anyone else been to QEW Mazda recently to see what they are willing to do about it?

And about the recyled plastics vs fewer fastners disscusion. Has anyone acutally taken the dash off and seen if it seems like it's lacking in the fastener deparment...?

Go to the first post in this thread and you will find a copy of the TSB for the cowl issue. QEW Mazda is aware of it as others have brought this to them already. Take a copy with you and ask them to order the upgraded parts and perform the TSB.

The sqeaking center console is also a known issue. Get them to add insulation and the problem should go away. I would suggest having them do the cowl first and see how things improve. Then, if there is still some sqeaking, take it back and have them address that as it will be easier to isolate.

J_man
12-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks for all the advice!

Zoom Zoom Boy
02-01-2011, 02:03 PM
For all you 2010 owners that have the creaking and rattle noise from the windshield and cowl area, there is now an official TSB out specifically for the 2010's. It is the same procedure as for the older generation cars, so looks like Mazda forgot to fix this problem in the new gens as they were probably using the same parts manufacturers for the cowl, pads and affected areas.

Here is the TSB for the 2010's.
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/09-037-10-2406.pdf

For the older gen cars, the TSB is listed in the first post in this thread.

Good luck.

Mooresy
02-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Just wanted to chime in... I bought my 2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 second-hand in October and have been annoyed with creaks from the dashboard area since I got it. I finally got around to going in to Select Mazda with the TSB in hand. SUCCESS!!! They ordered the parts right away and when I came back a few days later, they fixed her up under warranty with no charge to me. (invoice said ~$65 in parts billed to warranty)

I'm happy to say I've since driven the car over some of the worst roads in Hamilton in the dead of winter (-15 deg.C) and not one creak or rattle from the dash area.

Big thanks to both Zoom Zoom Boy and to Select Mazda for the awesome fix! :bowdown

MRT_MS3
02-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Has anyone gone to Oakville Mazda for this fix? Im reading a few post that the TSB doesnt completely solve the issue.

Ex-Rolla
02-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks Zoom Zoom Boy...

My car is at the shop for some maintenance work. since it's there, i mentioned to them to look at the issue one more time. I'll be sure to pass this along when ipick up the car tomorrow.

wrhfinancial
02-09-2011, 12:31 PM
That explains alot
I have had a noise coming from the dash a few months now
Driving me crazy
I am getting my oil done Friday
I will take the form with me

Thanks

Wayne

Elusivellama
02-23-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm starting to hear this creaking noise on occasion, might bring the car in for the TSB if it gets worse. Seems like a very straightforward fix using sound-damping tabs and stuff.

JP3
02-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Got my 2010 fixed today as well. Went in for my oil change service last week, then showed the service advisor the TSB; he had a tech ride in the car with me to identify the strange noises from the cowl/dash and confirmed them. They ordered those dampening pads and arrived a couple of days later.

Let's hope it fixes the problem but so far so good.

omalak
02-27-2011, 04:14 PM
My rattle is back woth a vengence! Now if i accelerate pretty quick it seems as if he cowl area is vibrating lol due to he borla exhaust. qEW mazda fixed the issue last winter by just stickig molding tape into my cowl area. No parts were replaced :/ i wonder what they will do this time to fix it.. Hope i get some replacement parts

JP3
02-28-2011, 08:54 AM
My rattles are gone but I still hear "creaks" from time to time coming from the dash area. I just tune it out as I don't think there's much else that can be done about it. :bang

G-daddy
03-15-2011, 10:43 PM
I went to MoT with the TSB printed out. I was told it only applies to GTs. LoL. :bang

JP3
03-17-2011, 08:58 AM
I went to MoT with the TSB printed out. I was told it only applies to GTs. LoL. :bang

Mine is a GS the TSB was performed.

Zoom Zoom Boy
03-17-2011, 10:09 AM

Take it to QEW. MOT deserves a smack for making an issue out of this since it is a known problem now for many years and even affects Mazda 5's. There are more than just this TSB out there. The cost of the TSB is also negligible. You would think MOT service would want to work with you and your issue to try and resolve it, regardless...

Worst case scenario, go to Joe in parts and just buy the insulator pads and then take them to Jimmy at Street Performance to have them installed. It shouldn't cost much, but I realize having to do this is BS since this is what warranty is for.

cwp_sedan
03-17-2011, 11:06 AM
MOT offered to do this for me for $100+. I was still under my factory warranty and they wouldn't do it. Definitely go to QEW if they will do it for you. IMO it should be done because it is annoying as hell.

+1 for the Joe and Jimmy idea.

G-daddy
03-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Well, ever since we went above 0 degrees, I haven't been getting it, so they won't be able to hear it anymore. It's a cold weather thing for me. When I go over a bump, there's this loud nasty crack/snap sound. Happened a few times.

There's also this slight, minute rattling sound as well from the dash area. I haven't driven my car in a while ever since it warmed up, so I can't say if the warmer weather fixed it. I'll be driving tomorrow to Jimmy, then to Peter, so I'll have plenty of time to check. We'll see.

Booter22
03-19-2011, 07:01 PM
let me know a day if you want to come by. we will have a look and see what we can do.

Mazdy
03-19-2011, 07:03 PM
I notice this thing only does occur when its cold...same thing goes for me..now i dont hear nothing nemore

Well, ever since we went above 0 degrees, I haven't been getting it, so they won't be able to hear it anymore. It's a cold weather thing for me. When I go over a bump, there's this loud nasty crack/snap sound. Happened a few times.

There's also this slight, minute rattling sound as well from the dash area. I haven't driven my car in a while ever since it warmed up, so I can't say if the warmer weather fixed it. I'll be driving tomorrow to Jimmy, then to Peter, so I'll have plenty of time to check. We'll see.

G-daddy
03-19-2011, 08:36 PM
let me know a day if you want to come by. we will have a look and see what we can do.

QEW Mazda. If only I knew how awesome you guys were sooner.

Looks like I may have finally found my Mazda dealership.

Can you do Saturdays? I have work on weekdays. Although I don't mind dropping the car off for a few days; I just require shuttling services to and from.

Ex-Rolla
03-20-2011, 10:32 AM
TSB was performed a couple of weeks ago. At first i thought it was gone, but after a few cold days, the issue is still there. I give up.

Booter22
03-22-2011, 12:39 PM
QEW Mazda. If only I knew how awesome you guys were sooner.

Looks like I may have finally found my Mazda dealership.

Can you do Saturdays? I have work on weekdays. Although I don't mind dropping the car off for a few days; I just require shuttling services to and from.

Of course we book Saturdays, however we do not have a dedicated shuttle driver so depending on where you may be going can take a bit longer to get to and from. But worst case we would start with the inspection. I could make sure we have the parts for the TSB in stock if the vehicle does qualify and if we needed to get it done the same day I don’t see why we wouldn’t be able to.

Just let me know and I can book you in. I however work every other Saturday and I will be in next on April 2nd.

zzz3
03-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Of course we book Saturdays, however we do not have a dedicated shuttle driver so depending on where you may be going can take a bit longer to get to and from. But worst case we would start with the inspection. I could make sure we have the parts for the TSB in stock if the vehicle does qualify and if we needed to get it done the same day I don’t see why we wouldn’t be able to.

Just let me know and I can book you in. I however work every other Saturday and I will be in next on April 2nd.

i have an appointment for next monday with you guys to have the cowl rattle looked at. i forgot to ask two things while i was in, is there a charge for looking at the car (i.e. problem turns out to be loose fuse box cover, as i suspect)? and the plastic cover/cap at the end of the drivers seat rail is loose but i forgot to mention that it needed to be looked at. is there a charge for that as well?

Booter22
03-22-2011, 08:15 PM
i have an appointment for next monday with you guys to have the cowl rattle looked at. i forgot to ask two things while i was in, is there a charge for looking at the car (i.e. problem turns out to be loose fuse box cover, as i suspect)? and the plastic cover/cap at the end of the drivers seat rail is loose but i forgot to mention that it needed to be looked at. is there a charge for that as well?

if you are still within your warranty then no, however TSB's are only covered under the 3 year or 80,000 km warranty. afterwords if there was a problem that relates to a TSB repair then yes there would be a cost.

G-daddy
03-22-2011, 08:45 PM

Hi John,

I live 45 minutes away, so I'll have to stay until it's done. Anyway, my car needs an alignment before I make such a long drive. I'll contact you soon. Thanks!

JP3
03-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Anyone with a 2010 who had the TSB done successfully get rid of these noises yet?

fywdyl
03-30-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm having this problem too, going to see if I can book an apt next week to get this fixed. Will report back w/ results.
BTW, I've got a 2010 MS3.

Zoom Zoom Boy
03-30-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm having this problem too, going to see if I can book an apt next week to get this fixed. Will report back w/ results.
BTW, I've got a 2010 MS3.

Better hurry. The noise goes away as the weather warms up...

zzz3
03-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Anyone with a 2010 who had the TSB done successfully get rid of these noises yet?

i went in to get it looked at, but lo and behold the noise was gone. qew wouldnt replace the cowl because they could not find the noise, and said i need to leave the car in overnight to see if it infact is caused by cold weather. now im not sure what to do? i mean i can get it replaced next winter free of charge right (i'll still be in warranty)?

anyone managed to get it replaced without testing and on customers word alone?

Ex-Rolla
03-30-2011, 07:38 PM

Yes and no... Reason i say that is because i have mentioned it maybe 4 or 5 times over the past year, so when the TSB became available, they just went ahead and performed it.

zzz3
04-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Yes and no... Reason i say that is because i have mentioned it maybe 4 or 5 times over the past year, so when the TSB became available, they just went ahead and performed it.

well thanks to john i got it replaced today. it was actually his tsb parts but he let me have them :D. the sound re appeared for a second when i was on my way to the body shop but then it settled in (?) because i havent heard any noises from the cowl since. even drove down 8th line which is full of bumps/cracks and not a single rattle.

knock on wood it stays that way and doesnt come back in the winter.

Booter22
04-02-2011, 11:47 AM
well thanks to john i got it replaced today. it was actually his tsb parts but he let me have them :D. the sound re appeared for a second when i was on my way to the body shop but then it settled in (?) because i havent heard any noises from the cowl since. even drove down 8th line which is full of bumps/cracks and not a single rattle.

knock on wood it stays that way and doesnt come back in the winter.

Happy i could help, let me know if you and i do need to take the road test if you hear another noise. I will give you a call on tuesday when your ordered part comes in. Enjoy your weekened!!

JP3
04-06-2011, 10:09 PM

Yes, and usually when they take a ride along with you is when the noise mysteriously goes away temporarily.

Glad Booter22 hooked you up though!

zzz3
04-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Yes, and usually when they take a ride along with you is when the noise mysteriously goes away temporarily.

Glad Booter22 hooked you up though!

i started to hear rattles again today :(. but i am becoming more and more convinced that its something inside the engine compartment; i think its the fuse box. even though the sound doesnt bother me anymore (or does it lol since i am still posting about it) im going try to tighten the fuse box cover somehow and see if that helps.

JP3
04-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Maybe the noises and rattles come standard with our 2010? :chuckle

zzz3
04-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Maybe the noises and rattles come standard with our 2010? :chuckle

i bought the base gx model for a reason! i didnt want any extra options such as intermittent undiagnosable ambiguous rattle :chuckle

ill try to tape the fusebox tomorrow and see how that works out. another theory of mine is that the engine "under tray/plastic floor shield" is loose.

Ex-Rolla
04-08-2011, 09:24 PM
i bought the base gx model for a reason! i didnt want any extra options such as intermittent undiagnosable ambiguous rattle :chuckle

ill try to tape the fusebox tomorrow and see how that works out. another theory of mine is that the engine "under tray/plastic floor shield" is loose.

is your car auto or manual?

a previous Mazda tech said that it may be the transmision cables or something... I'm beginning to think along those lines as well. Something in the engine compartment.

zzz3
04-08-2011, 11:27 PM
is your car auto or manual?

a previous Mazda tech said that it may be the transmision cables or something... I'm beginning to think along those lines as well. Something in the engine compartment.

auto. also noticed my radiator hose (or whatever the rubber pipping is over the rad) was not in the holder, so i tucked that back in. anyways the sound has disappeared again :gone after i switched to my new rim/tire lol. the tsb should be called the bed intruder rattle :chuckle

fywdyl
04-13-2011, 02:29 PM

Had mine done last Friday. I think it's working, but the weather is warmer now, so I'm not sure.

However, I just installed a RMM and the rattling from the windshield does seem to have disappeared. Won't know for sure till next winter.

zzz3
04-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Had mine done last Friday. I think it's working, but the weather is warmer now, so I'm not sure.

However, I just installed a RMM and the rattling from the windshield does seem to have disappeared. Won't know for sure till next winter.

what is rrm? for me the rattle shows up after the car has been sitting for a while (i.e. overnight and cold weather) and disappears within a few minutes of driving. during warm days and overnights, it doesnt even show up.

fywdyl
04-14-2011, 08:47 AM
RMM = rear motor mount

Yeah, rattles usually happen when it's cold. Maybe something to do with expansion/contraction of parts due to weather...
If it doesn't bother you, you don't necessarily have to get it fixed. But after I got the RMM the car vibrates a lot more and it was very noticeable.

topspin
10-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Just noticed this problem on my 2011 bought in May. I first heard it a few days ago suddenly when driving away from work. It had been cooler those days. Now that it got warmer, the problem all but disappeared. I called the dealer and scheduled a verification on the 18th of Oct (it will be colder then and the problem will be easier to verify).

Ex-Rolla
10-18-2011, 10:41 AM
After hibernating through the summer, the beloved rattle sound is back. Also, the interior fan is making a rattling noise when on (2nd time now, 1st time they replaced the fan), so i'm going to take it to the dealer.

anyone have other ideas as to what might be the cause of the noise?

zzz3
10-18-2011, 03:55 PM
i think my rattle is back too (got it "fixed" last winter), but from what i understand, tsb can only be done once?

CanadianReaper
10-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Just noticed this problem on my 2011 bought in May. I first heard it a few days ago suddenly when driving away from work. It had been cooler those days. Now that it got warmer, the problem all but disappeared. I called the dealer and scheduled a verification on the 18th of Oct (it will be colder then and the problem will be easier to verify).

I think I'm having this same issue on my '11 I bought in August. I keep hearing a rattle near the windshield when going over larger bumps in the road, like on Bayview ave :bang
I don't get it with smaller bumps on the road so I'm worried I won't be able to replicate it if I bring it back to the dealer.

meyers1469
11-11-2011, 07:38 AM
I am also having a rattling sound in my dash board, near the centre vents....has mazda done anything to re-call them or should i just take it to a dealership to get it fixed?

if the dealership way does anyone know the cost or is it under warranty?

ps i have a 2010 GT M3

yearoftherat
11-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Your car is still under warranty and therefore should be covered.

beyond
04-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Wow I just bought my car like a month ago and it seems like I have this issue already! Anyone else out there w/ the GS-SKY that has this issue? Or am I just the unlucky one of the bunch...? :(

beyond
04-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Btw, does anyone have the TSB for the 2010+ models? I tried the link Zoom Zoom Boy posted earlier but it doesn't work....

thx

Booter22
04-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Btw, does anyone have the TSB for the 2010+ models? I tried the link Zoom Zoom Boy posted earlier but it doesn't work....

thx

TSB: 09-10-38
2010 MAZDA3 - RATTLE NOISE FROM COWL GRILLE WHEN DRIVING OVER A BUMP
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2010 Mazda3 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1BL******324925 (produced before May 1, 2010)
DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit a rattle noise from the cowl grille (A) when driving over a bump. This is caused by stick-slip between the cowl grille and the windshield. To correct the problem, the shape and thickness of the felt pads applied over the cowl grille tabs has been changed,

now please be advised that even though there is / may be a similar related noise this TSB is only for the vin range posted above. this correction if completed may not correct the problem for your vehicle. but of course it would be best to have the vehicle inspected to determine the cause of the noise.

beyond
04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Thx Booter22!
I don't know if this applies to the 2012 models then since it's only addressing 2010's....

It's just really annoying. When I heard it 2 days ago I thought it was my wind shield wipers. I drove with the wipers up to see if it fixed the issue but it still didn't!!! Can't believe I need to take the car back to the dealer only after a month :(

Thanks again for all your help....

cwp_sedan
04-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Damn, I thought they would have fixed this in the newer models.

Booter22
04-10-2012, 12:31 PM
i looked into the 2011 and 2012 and there was no related TSB to cowel rattle only for the 2010 but like i said it may / may not be the same issue, but let them have a look at it and go from tehre always the best way. we had a 2012 sky active come in and there was noise coming from the tweeter area trim, just keep an eye on it of course.

beyond
04-10-2012, 12:46 PM
That's true. I'll just bring it in and let them take a look at it anyways. Maybe the cause is something else...I'll keep you guys updated after I bring in the car.

Do you guys think I should bring in the TSB though? Or just let them diagnose the issue themselves?

This doesn't happen at lower speeds. If I'm going like 40 it's fine. Once I go normal road speeds (like 60+ then it gets really annoying).

Booter22
04-10-2012, 01:17 PM
you could always bring the TSB number in and ask them if it may be related to your concern as it does sound similar.

HAC
04-19-2012, 03:48 PM
I have a 2012 mazda 3 GS Sky - just purchased last week. Experiencing same noise. Took it to dealer and mechanic advised there has to be a TSB to fix. Interested to know if you have taken yours in yet and response did you receive.

Booter22
04-19-2012, 04:01 PM
I have a 2012 mazda 3 GS Sky - just purchased last week. Experiencing same noise. Took it to dealer and mechanic advised there has to be a TSB to fix. Interested to know if you have taken yours in yet and response did you receive.

as i mentioned below there isnt a TSB at this time. Beyond have you gone to have yours inspected yet?

beyond
04-19-2012, 04:24 PM
as i mentioned below there isnt a TSB at this time. Beyond have you gone to have yours inspected yet?

Not yet. I was going to bring it in, but I've noticed that the noise stopped or has been reduced to a minimum once the warmer weather kicked in. The only time I have this problem is later at night when it gets cold again. I'm thinking that I'll do this later in the fall when it gets cooler again. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to replicate this for the dealer :(

dietsprite
06-20-2012, 12:56 AM
I also experience like a rattle noise everytime that the car goes over bumps or storms drains on the road or any uneaven part of the road which is highly annoying. As beyond mentioned I notice it much less when its hot outside but I still hear it sometimes, I heared that from the first day I got the car but strangly enough I thought it will go away once i break in the car. I will bring the car in to the dealership tomorrow and hopefully they hear it. I'm glad i'm not the only one with that problem.

CFX
06-21-2012, 02:20 PM
I brought my car in over a year ago and to be honest, the noise is worse. I've simply given up...

dietsprite
06-23-2012, 06:04 PM
I brought my car in over a year ago and to be honest, the noise is worse. I've simply given up...

Went to the dealership on wednesday, the mechanic didn't even need me to drive the car around when I showed him where the rattle sound comes from. He pushed the roof(where the passanger lights located) slightly up and down and it made some clicking noises like something was loose. It took him like 15-20 min, i guess he taped up some things inside the roof and the car rides smooth without any rattle noises so im happy.

beyond
06-25-2012, 12:41 PM
^ cool, which dealership did you goto?

dietsprite
06-26-2012, 01:02 AM
^ cool, which dealership did you goto?

Maple Mazda

canadaguy
07-15-2012, 07:31 PM
i also have that noise on the 2012 sky. had it since day one (about 2.5 weeks now). am waiting a reply from the dealership on how to proceed.

k13
07-16-2012, 12:08 AM
What I did was locate the area that is rattling, and tape the conjoining plastic with black hockey tape. Solved everything.

zoomahh
07-16-2012, 06:36 AM
++11 to that /\ /\ or use duct tape :P works every time...But seriously, if it's interior, try placing some closed cell rubber. Comes in a roll @ diff widths n lengths n thicknesses. You can get it @ Home Dep, CT. I'ved used it for under dash rattles and recently I added some to my door panels when I was doing my ICE upgrade. With all the extra bass, wiring etc, there was bound to be some rattling doin on.

canadaguy
07-16-2012, 01:45 PM
What I did was locate the area that is rattling, and tape the conjoining plastic with black hockey tape. Solved everything.

I just can't find where it's coming from... :(

canadaguy
07-17-2012, 08:00 AM
I just can't find where it's coming from... :(

I found it! It's coming from the map light/sunglasses holder area. That whole plastic section is a bit loose and rattles when I go over a bump, hits the roof above it. Any suggestions to get fixed? Bring to dealer?

CanadianReaper
11-07-2012, 03:54 PM
I just wanted to update you all after ~1yr of having the front left defroster vent loose/vibrating intermittently with temperature/bumpy road etc. I had it replaced under warranty last year which did nothing. With my service yesterday I mentioned it and one of the guys at DWM suggested trying foam tape underneath the vent to tighten it up with the dash. He spent a few minutes after the oil change doing so, and now it's very tight (not moving at all when I try to shift it side to side). Noise is now 100% gone :) Those exhaust vents are pretty loose stock, so if you're having a vibration issue like this it might be worth suggesting. :)

JHX 1138
11-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Chalk me up as another person to join the Rattle Club! My Mazda3 is 6 weeks old, and the rattling seemed to have started about a week ago. I guess since the weather dropped below 10 degrees on a regular basis.

I'm hearing it from the area where the front windshield meets the dashboard/cowl, and (just yesterday) it started making a noise from where the REAR windshield meets the rear deck thingy.

Has anyone had any luck getting MoT Service to fix this? They are my closest Mazda dealer.

sarujo
11-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Which vent exactly are you referring to? The round ones (2 big ones - 1 on each side?) or the narroe horizontal ones?

I just wanted to update you all after ~1yr of having the front left defroster vent loose/vibrating intermittently with temperature/bumpy road etc. I had it replaced under warranty last year which did nothing. With my service yesterday I mentioned it and one of the guys at DWM suggested trying foam tape underneath the vent to tighten it up with the dash. He spent a few minutes after the oil change doing so, and now it's very tight (not moving at all when I try to shift it side to side). Noise is now 100% gone :) Those exhaust vents are pretty loose stock, so if you're having a vibration issue like this it might be worth suggesting. :)

CanadianReaper
11-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Which vent exactly are you referring to? The round ones (2 big ones - 1 on each side?) or the narroe horizontal ones?

Narrow horizontal ones, on top of the dash above the round spinning ones.

thespecialist
11-13-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm another one with a 2012 GS-Sky with this issue.

Yesterday, with the warm weather, there was no rattle. This morning, with the cold weather, rattles somewhere from the dash all throughout the ride. My car is 4000km on it.