PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Jumpy?

Shawn
11-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Ok. I had the alignment done about 2 months ago on 2005 Hatch.
What seem to happen is when I hit a medium and above bump the rear of the car jumps side to side. Kind of unstable feeling. Can this be fixed? Shocks are fine. Could it be the rear camber links? I noticed that my 2007 has some kind of block/weight on the rear suspension mount and does not bounce side to side.

Also can the 2007+ front strut mounts be put on the 2005 to gain caster adjustments?

Fuman
11-14-2008, 01:11 AM
a few questions
is your alignment within spec?
1) How are your springs, is any one spring sagging more than the others?
2) Is your suspension stock?
3) What tires and what PSI are you running them at?

Shawn
11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
is your alignment within spec? Yes. But Castor is off equally on the front.

1) How are your springs, is any one spring sagging more than the others?
Cannot see any sagging.
2) Is your suspension stock?
Yes. Rear Camber is just over 2 on both side but within specifications.
3) What tires and what PSI are you running them at?
Stock Toyo. Recommend tire pressure. Problem seemed magnified when I had my summer tires

Fuman
11-14-2008, 10:56 AM
caster shouldn't cause this issue.
Do you have a rear sway bar?
Rear camber is just over 2 on stock springs and shocks? While that is within spec, I have to say that is pretty rare(do you have sub or something in the back).

Shawn
11-14-2008, 08:27 PM
No stock car. But I am interested in strut bar and rear bar that I have seen.
I really need to get under the car myself instead of trusting the dealer inspection. Maybe the shocks are too stiff?

3GFX
11-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Is it possible you're hitting some rough pavement when taking it at speed? How are you on the on and off ramps?

Shawn
11-15-2008, 01:07 PM
No. Rough pavement make it feel worse, like when going over grooved pavement.
Bumps make it jumpy, like manhole covers. when I am cornering it feels fine. Only occurs going straight. Have not had much on / off ramp with this car otherwise.

3GFX
11-15-2008, 01:29 PM
That seems odd. I'd take it in just to be safe. Get him them to sit in or even drive the car with you in it. Then they might be able to diagnose. It never costs you for them to sit in the car.

whiteomega
11-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Camber changes shouldn't really cause the rear to jump from side to side, but if the links are loose (or worse, not attached or missing), that might contribute.

I'd also check the rear toe angle on both wheels and make sure the rear swaybar is properly secured.

The safest thing to do though is what 3gfx suggested: take it in to the dealership, and go for a test drive with the mechanic.

3GFX
11-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Any news on what it was?

Shawn
12-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Well I got the car into MOT. After looking it over and having to put it on the alignment rack to check to see if car was straight. Turns out to be a very crappy first alignment. So now I am really pissed at the first place to do the alignment. I have two sheets that have before and after and both were out and then perfect.
So now what!!

Fuman
12-12-2008, 12:30 PM
where did you get your first alignment?
you mind posting the specs?

3GFX
12-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Wel if its straight and good now, thats the important thing. Its a shame it wasn't good the first time.