PDA

View Full Version : How do you change the light bulb in Compartement box?

JohnyGT
11-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Im trying to change the light bulb in the compartment box

in front of passengers sit. But i hav no clue about how to open the cover lid.

Will i have to take out the while compartment?

A picture walk-though would be really appreciated. :)

Noisy Crow
11-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Yep, you have to pull the glovebox.

Remove the trim strip by pulling up in the middle. Pull it off completely by pulling up working toward the drivers side and the the other way. The right end attachment is a hook... slide the whole strip to the left to release. Remove the two screws and pull the glovebox out far enough to get to the bulb holder. Give the holder a quarter turn and it will come out. Reverse everything to install.... make sure the glovebox catches on all its clips.

JohnyGT
11-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Yep, you have to pull the glovebox.

Remove the trim strip by pulling up in the middle. Pull it off completely by pulling up working toward the drivers side and the the other way. The right end attachment is a hook... slide the whole strip to the left to release. Remove the two screws and pull the glovebox out far enough to get to the bulb holder. Give the holder a quarter turn and it will come out. Reverse everything to install.... make sure the glovebox catches on all its clips.

wow, still got no clue @ all, but ill try again :)

Can anyone offer me a hand? Ill treat a coffee haha

bunchi
11-20-2008, 11:42 PM
i wanted to change the bulb on mine too, but after seeing the instructions from the service manual (btw i posted i link to download that before) and my laziness, i just took the trim and gave up lol

SpelingChampian
11-21-2008, 12:35 AM
I'll try and take photos of it tomorrow, I couldn't figure it out at first, but then a friend showed me. It's like two screws plus the strip thing in the middle.

bunchi
11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
please do. the service manual says you have to take off a whole lot of panels before getting to that light. if you're saying it's just the strip in the middle and 2 screws, I love to take another shot at this :) thanks

Noisy Crow
11-21-2008, 11:22 AM
please do. the service manual says you have to take off a whole lot of panels before getting to that light. if you're saying it's just the strip in the middle and 2 screws, I love to take another shot at this :) thanks

Very easy to get at... I've done it several times... did forget one panel though... remove the passenger kick plate... comes off easy too, just have a look at cwp_sedan's instructions for the shock sensor to see how it comes off.

bunchi
11-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Very easy to get at... I've done it several times... did forget one panel though... remove the passenger kick plate... comes off easy too, just have a look at cwp_sedan's instructions for the shock sensor to see how it comes off.

thanks N.C. I'll look for that post :)

ZeroChalk
11-21-2008, 01:57 PM
pictures.. you gotta jiggle the glove compartment box and it will come out..

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123698529

bunchi
11-21-2008, 05:07 PM
wow thanks! I was also afraid ofy anking anything not knowing of I could yank on them or not... with the help of that guide, yes now i know I can yank the door sills :)

Noisy Crow
11-21-2008, 05:41 PM

1. For those using this guide: to remove the kickplate, DO NOT just pry the fastener out as shown. Use a small flat screw driver to unlock the fastener by carefully prying the center pin up first, then pull out the entire fastener.

2. Note the hook on the right end of the trim plate... you can not pull it straight out

3. Do not just pry out the lamp holder. Twist it to unlock the tabs so you can pull it out

Also: If you follow this guide to replace map lights, do not just yank the maplight down. Slide a credit card or screw driver in at one side to release the metal clip on each side. If you just yank it you risk bending the clip or distorting the headliner.

SpelingChampian
11-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Looks like someone beat me to it :)

Luckily as it's freaking cold out lol!

Effin Itai
11-21-2008, 07:50 PM
I think taking apart my car and installing my own stuff is the coolest thing in the world. LOL! My iPod (ilink) is in the glove compartment. That was a sick install!
I can take out my stereo, box, centre console, door, pannels and find dirt! Oh yes, I can also, remove my PJB with my eyes closed also? LOL!

Ogata
11-22-2008, 12:14 PM
What's the purpose of removing the door sill to get into the glove box light? I don't get it..

Noisy Crow
11-22-2008, 12:33 PM
What's the purpose of removing the door sill to get into the glove box light? I don't get it..

The passenger kick cover extends up against the glovebox, so it needs to be removed so the glovebox can pulled out. And.... the sill plate overlaps the bottom edge of the kick cover.

JohnyGT
11-22-2008, 01:19 PM

Thanx, that helped a lot, n i did replace the bulb :)

Ogata
11-22-2008, 01:20 PM
The passenger kick cover extends up against the glovebox, so it needs to be removed so the glovebox can pulled out. And.... the sill plate overlaps the bottom edge of the kick cover.

Thanks for the clarification Noisy! Does any standard 194 led work for this or is it a different one?

bunchi
11-23-2008, 11:33 AM
finally replaced mine :) took less than 10 mins. to remove and put everything back. tips and pics helped a lot. thanks guys

Ogata, yes it's just regular 194 type bulb. make sure you check if it lights up before you put everything back in it's place. if it doesn't light up, remove the bulb and rotate and put in the other way.

mazda lover
11-24-2008, 12:38 PM
All this to replace a bulb in the glove box, I have no light in my box and never said Gee I wish I had a light in their...

bunchi
11-24-2008, 02:33 PM
lol yeah i rarely open my glove box but when i do, and see the yellow light... then I'll say to myself.. I want to change that! :chuckle lil' things... my wife had the same reaction as yours. I looked like i'm pulling the interior apart, and she asked me, what you doing???? --- uhm.. changing the bulb for the glove box.... ALL THAT FOR THAT TINY BULB???

Noisy Crow
11-24-2008, 03:11 PM
lol yeah i rarely open my glove box but when i do, and see the yellow light... then I'll say to myself.. I want to change that! :chuckle lil' things... my wife had the same reaction as yours. I looked like i'm pulling the interior apart, and she asked me, what you doing???? --- uhm.. changing the bulb for the glove box.... ALL THAT FOR THAT TINY BULB???

Women NEVER understand how much effort it takes to do anything! For example, my wife could NOT understand why it took me almost two months to reno the bathroom :chuckle

bunchi
11-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Women NEVER understand how much effort it takes to do anything! For example, my wife could NOT understand why it took me almost two months to reno the bathroom :chuckle

i want the tiles straight, so i'm laying 1 tile at a time... per day! lol been asked by her why you mod your car??? mine's the same question all the time why? why? why? is anybody looking at it? you have some chicks to show it to? :chuckle

mazda lover
11-29-2008, 10:45 PM
All this to replace a bulb in the glove box, I have no light in my box and never said Gee I wish I had a light in their...

I keep a small flash light in my center arm rest. They sell at the dollar store, press a button and it flicks up, LED light very bright and I am sure brighter than the glove box light. No need to rip the dash apart and hoping when you put it back together it doesn't rattle, squeek etc.. and of course no left over parts...lol
my cousin started remodeling the main bathroom 10 years ago and still not finished...too funny,

12-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Taking the dash appart??

There are only 2 bolts to remove to access the glove box bulb.
The trim piece accross the dash can be removed by just pulling on it (well described on this thread). Then remove the 2 bolts, then slightly pull down the glove box.

Anyway, I did it, and no rattles or anyting, and I managed to re-install the 2 bolts where they belong :chuckle

1flycdnM3
01-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Taking the dash appart??

There are only 2 bolts to remove to access the glove box bulb.
The trim piece accross the dash can be removed by just pulling on it (well described on this thread). Then remove the 2 bolts, then slightly pull down the glove box.

Anyway, I did it, and no rattles or anyting, and I managed to re-install the 2 bolts where they belong :chuckle

I had to do this quite a few times as well when i was deciding where to mount/put my audiolink, but i never found it THAT difficult and/or time consuming

1flycdnM3
01-25-2009, 12:27 PM
I think taking apart my car and installing my own stuff is the coolest thing in the world. LOL! My iPod (ilink) is in the glove compartment. That was a sick install!
I can take out my stereo, box, centre console, door, pannels and find dirt! Oh yes, I can also, remove my PJB with my eyes closed also? LOL!

yeah its GREAT knowing how to take apart your car! Cleaning is so much better when you can get to things that you would normally never see without being able to take things apart. I must admit that Mazda made things very simple to remove/take apart.

DARK3
01-25-2009, 06:54 PM
its worth changing it. I did, looks great.

JohnyGT
01-28-2009, 11:27 AM

+1

mazda lover
02-01-2009, 12:27 PM

so light from a bulb when its on looks "great" I know what you mean I have one over my head and its on all the time...!!!!!hope someone here can help me when it burns out...

froggy
02-04-2009, 10:45 AM
a little bit off topic, but can all of the interior lights be changed to led? and are they all th same bulb?

bunchi
02-04-2009, 04:26 PM
yes you can find LED versions of all the bulbs for your car's interior. and no, the bulbs are all different. you can refer to the link below so you'll know what type of bulb to look for.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

froggy
02-04-2009, 07:55 PM
thank you very much that is very useful, time to lighten things up

STeeLy
02-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Anyone know when Myk is going to do another LED GB? I feel like getting some for my car

1flycdnM3
02-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Anyone know when Myk is going to do another LED GB? I feel like getting some for my car

don't hold your breath, my guess is not until summer time. I wouldn't mind picking up a few more things also lol.

froggy
02-05-2009, 06:23 PM
I'd also like in on that if/when it comes around. no point in spending extra money when you don't have to.

Fobio
02-08-2010, 09:24 PM
anyone know the more up-todate cost of the glovebox light bulb from a dealer? what's a good cheap aftermarket alternative?

bunchi
02-09-2010, 12:23 AM
anyone know the more up-todate cost of the glovebox light bulb from a dealer? what's a good cheap aftermarket alternative?

white LED! :)

or those white non LED bulbs look good too... i like white lights :)

tonyzoomzoom
02-09-2010, 03:06 AM
Here are some fairly inexpensive white LEDs that will fit the glove box (and rear license plate light)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-WHITE-LED-BULB-1W-T10-168-194-mazda-323-3-mazdaspeed_W0QQitemZ270528655426QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3efcc 3b042

tonyzoomzoom
02-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Here's another link with a pic of the LEDs (no, I'm not the one selling them)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/4-WHITE-LED-BULB-1W-T10-168-194-mazda-323-3-mazdaspeed_W0QQitemZ270523767209QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3efc7 919a9

stevenma188
02-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Ahhh, I recently noticed my glovebox bulb is burnt out. I should do this soon.

Fobio
02-09-2010, 11:03 AM
thanks for all the tips and info.

dhlwtu
04-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Thank god 4 this forum it's a great help!!

kjalvarizzle
05-11-2012, 02:50 PM
So i got to part where i have to change the bulb, the bulb wont budge, im afraid if i pull too hard the bulb might break into pieces, any tips?

rzapata
05-11-2012, 02:59 PM
So i got to part where i have to change the bulb, the bulb wont budge, im afraid if i pull too hard the bulb might break into pieces, any tips?

If you've detached the glove box and the bulb housing is exposed, the bulb should easily pop off if you pull on it. It should be the same size of bulb as the map lights (at least for the first gen) and should come off the same way..

kjalvarizzle
05-11-2012, 03:15 PM
If you've detached the glove box and the bulb housing is exposed, the bulb should easily pop off if you pull on it. It should be the same size of bulb as the map lights (at least for the first gen) and should come off the same way..

Yup im trying to pull out the actual bulb from the connector, but it wont come off. Feels like if i try tugging harder i might break the bulb. Also do i need to disconnect my car battery when replacing this?
I read mixed opinions, some say they didnt some say they did. Just wanted to be safe

rzapata
05-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Yup im trying to pull out the actual bulb from the connector, but it wont come off. Feels like if i try tugging harder i might break the bulb. Also do i need to disconnect my car battery when replacing this?
I read mixed opinions, some say they didnt some say they did. Just wanted to be safe

Try using a mini flat-head screw driver to pry it out. If you're replacing the bulb anyway, why not just pull it out as hard as you can? Careful as you might cut yourself if the bulb breaks.

About the battery, well, it's always nice to disconnect the battery when working with anything electrical. I'd say that's a judgement call.. When I did mine, I did not disconnect the battery because I'm comfortable enough that it will not electrocute me to death. :chuckle It's just like changing bulbs inside the house, you always make sure the switch is off (or not).

kjalvarizzle
05-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Try using a mini flat-head screw driver to pry it out. If you're replacing the bulb anyway, why not just pull it out as hard as you can? Careful as you might cut yourself if the bulb breaks.

About the battery, well, it's always nice to disconnect the battery when working with anything electrical. I'd say that's a judgement call.. When I did mine, I did not disconnect the battery because I'm comfortable enough that it will not electrocute me to death. :chuckle It's just like changing bulbs inside the house, you always make sure the switch is off (or not).

After about 5 minutes of careful pulling while twisting it up and down I finally got it out, now to run to canadian tire and find a replacement!
Thanks man! :winner

bunchi
12-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Bringing this thread back... now, is it just mine that the light in the glove compartment stays on even when the compartment door is closed?

For the past week i've been noticing a burning plastic smell, ONLY AT NIGHT. so i was searching the car where the smell was coming from. Engine bay, nothing. A/c on recirc, smell still there. Finally found it to be coming from the glove compartment. Took the whole thing out. Somehow the socket snapped out of the hole where it was clipped on and now the bulb was trying to burn a whole into the glove box. Kinda relieved actually, that it wasn't anything serious or expensive that's burning.

rzapata
12-19-2012, 11:16 PM
As far as I know, the glove compartment does not act as a switch for the light. It turns on when you turn your headlights on (or the amber lights when you twist the knob once).

bunchi
12-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Yup thats what i meant, it turns on when you turn your headlight on, and stays on even when the compartment door is closed. So i'm not going crazy nor is the car hehe after all these years i just noticed that stupid design

rzapata
12-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Change em to LEDs instead. That'll solve your burning problem. Although, they should not really be burning anything because they should have enough clearance. Could just be a clearance issue. :)

bunchi
12-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Yeah thats my next step. The whole socket came out of the hole where it was secured, so the bulb ended up resting on the glove box, which melted a small part :s hence the burning plastic smell.

bunchi
12-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Wala akong ilaw, flashlight na muna! WHahaha led naman e!

rzapata
12-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Ayos na yun basta meron ilaw. Hehe! :chuckle