PDA

View Full Version : Turbo 's

gunmetalzoom
12-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Just wondering who installs Turbos for the mazda 3 thinking of getting one ....

rick@garage16.ca
12-03-2008, 04:35 PM
We install it and all depends what set up you wanna go with. We can get you eveything from the turbo to blowoff valve. Just email me rick@garage16.ca or PM on here

icecubetray
12-03-2008, 07:39 PM
We install it and all depends what set up you wanna go with. We can get you eveything from the turbo to blowoff valve. Just email me rick@garage16.ca or PM on here

do you guys have off the shelf turbo manifolds? or do you make them? for the mazda 3?

rick@garage16.ca
12-03-2008, 08:56 PM
we gonna have to make them. All depends what turbo flange you use, with or without wastegate etc.

take a look at the 2nd picture of my car.

http://garage16.ca/dragcar.html

That was custom made usingSchedule 10 Pipes are 2.5 times thicker than standard 16 gauge tubing, making them ideally suited for custom manifold and downpipe fabrication.

do you guys have off the shelf turbo manifolds? or do you make them? for the mazda 3?

KPao
12-03-2008, 11:24 PM
we gonna have to make them. All depends what turbo flange you use, with or without wastegate etc.

take a look at the 2nd picture of my car.

http://garage16.ca/dragcar.html

That was custom made usingSchedule 10 Pipes are 2.5 times thicker than standard 16 gauge tubing, making them ideally suited for custom manifold and downpipe fabrication.

PMed

Hives
12-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I wouldnt put a turbo unless I your planning on changing the internals as well. They prolly won't holdup for very long since they were not designed to take that kind of power, and then you'll blow your motor sky high (i've seen it happen plenty of times). It's better to be safe then sorry. And if you do blow your motor, your warrany would not cover it since you added an aftermarket turbo, which is a big no-no.

I know modifying a car is fun, and very addictive, but just remember, there is always the weakest link when adding "racing" parts with stock parts. Just look at all these guys who slap on turbos onto their civics/integras/rsx's using the stock internals. With the turbo, they are obviously gonna drive it hard, thinking it's the fastest car in the world, and then 3-6months later the motor blows sky high, and they gotta start all over again all b/c they missed a vital step when building up their ride.

Also keep in mind that there are some Ford parts in our motor as well. Ha ha.

rick@garage16.ca
12-04-2008, 12:16 AM
I wouldnt put a turbo unless I your planning on changing the internals as well. They prolly won't holdup for very long since they were not designed to take that kind of power, and then you'll blow your motor sky high (i've seen it happen plenty of times). It's better to be safe then sorry. And if you do blow your motor, your warrany would not cover it since you added an aftermarket turbo, which is a big no-no.

I know modifying a car is fun, and very addictive, but just remember, there is always the weakest link when adding "racing" parts with stock parts. Just look at all these guys who slap on turbos onto their civics/integras/rsx's using the stock internals. With the turbo, they are obviously gonna drive it hard, thinking it's the fastest car in the world, and then 3-6months later the motor blows sky high, and they gotta start all over again all b/c they missed a vital step when building up their ride.

Well one thing I learned from doing turbo set ups (im on 4th upgrade lol) or even selling turbo stuff is...if your gonna do it right, do it once.

I know alot of guys buy a cheap as turbo and say " ooo its only for now because I want something better after" well guess what, spend the money once and do it right.

I seen alot of honda guys buy some cheap f**king shit and blow up stuff cuz of the cheap parts

kurse
12-04-2008, 01:00 AM
so what else would u guys recommend before gettign a turbo ?

x_o_k_x
12-04-2008, 01:02 AM
here is a great link with lots of info
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19650

Veritaz
12-04-2008, 05:52 PM

Mine has managed to run @ 10psi of boost on stock internals/trans and not have a single problem. I don't drive conservative either and I have raced it on the 1/4.

Veritaz
12-04-2008, 06:16 PM
so what else would u guys recommend before gettign a turbo ?

If you are looking to boost your Mz3 there are a few things u need.

Despite my comment above it is smart to rebuild an engine before boosting it. Lower comp pistons, forged rods and mabey even studs are all benificial. I have a decent hobbie budget and wanted to see just what our stock motors can take so I havn't rebuilt yet. Also 3rd and 4th gears in the Mz3 are not designed to take much of a tq load at all. They will need to be replaced with billet gears at higher boost lvls or they will loose there teeth rather quickly. Stock clutch is also unable to hold upwards of 250+ hp/tq.

You will need:

A turbo (obviously): size and other atributes are very important. Compressor maps can tell us what size of turbos will operate efficeintly with our engines. You will also need to look into either an externally or internally gated turbo. For a custom setup an externallay gated turbo is recomended.

A waistgate (if using an externally gated turbo): Size and spring are very important. A turbo with a larger A/R will flow more air and require a larger waistgate too keep your boost levels in check. Boost levels may easily be adjusted using an external waistgate with a manual boost controller however the spring still needs to be carefully selected. To soft a spring and you will not be able to achieve your final goals, too stiff and you will not be able to turn the boost down when desired.

A BOV: Although some turbo's re able to deal with compressor surge most can be damaged over time. A properly selected blow off valve will alow the pressure beetween the compressor and the throttle body to be released properly, rather then the pressure returning to the compressor when the TB is closed.

Intercooler: Turbo's cause massive air temp increases, front mounted intercoolers are the most common way to lower the air temperature before entering the TB. The right core size will be needed to allow sufficient cooling while not impeding air movement.

Fuel system upgrades: For the engine to keep a goof AFR(air fuel ratio) the fuel system must feed more fuel to make up for the increase in air volume. Larger injectors are a must to keep injector duty cycles reasonable and possible a better fuel pump.

Engine Management: Our Mz3's are tricky lil guys when it comes to this. The ECU in our car tends to overwrite piggybacks and resist reprogramming by relearning. In otherwords standalone is almost the only choice. This requires wiring harnessess to be made and pin outs to be determined.

Plumbing: a turbo system requires alot of plumbing, which most of the time needs to be custom fabricated. This includes pipes from the filter to compressor, compressor to intercooler, intercooler to throttle body(with a BOV flange), turbine to exhaust flange(also known as downpipe) and a custom exhaust mani.

Long story short what I am trying to say is a question like "what else do I need for a turbo?" is not so easily answered. There is alot of research involved. Not trying to be an a$$, seriously, FI is an awsome hobby but it takes work. Good luck to you if you wanna go through with it. :D

MajesticBlueNTO
12-04-2008, 10:57 PM
these guys did the initial grunt work on prototyping a turbo on the 2.3L for the mazdaspeed3 (before mazda decided on using the DISI) ...the kit for the 3 is a result of that grunt work (http://tripointengineering.com/information.php?info_id=1)

Veritaz
12-11-2008, 05:32 PM
ok I know I shouldnt really be putting this post here but it's somewhat realted lol. If someone actually wants to boost there Mz3 (prefferably 2.0L) I am looking into parting out my car. I want to go back to as stock as possible. I am going to post in the classifieds but it wont let me yet and I assume i need a certain post count. This could be a good opportunity for someone though because this kit is no longer available.

Tokic_o
12-11-2008, 05:52 PM
^^^ what about a 2.3L?

Veritaz
12-11-2008, 06:17 PM
^^^ what about a 2.3L?

It will work but some changes need to be made to the wiring harness and it needs to be retuned... with a 2.0l it would be plug and play.

Boris
12-12-2008, 12:16 PM
i have the 2.3 base map if anyone wants it.

Veritaz
12-12-2008, 01:28 PM
i have the 2.3 base map if anyone wants it.

not the one form hiboost is it? mine was terrible. AFR's were 9.5-10.5 on idele.

Boris
12-12-2008, 03:14 PM
it is the one from hi-boost. well, mine map ain't perfect either, but it isn't that rich compare to u. but it is around 11.5-13ish, still rich.

Veritaz
12-12-2008, 03:46 PM
mine is perfect for the 2.0L now, speant like 20 hours tuning it form scratch. The hiboost map was craaap. 11.5 is still way rich if its during idle. Mine idles at 14.7 on the nose.

Boris
12-13-2008, 01:57 AM
well, of course the 2.3 base map is just a map for people to start off with. but i'm just saying, if anyone want to buy ur kit for the 2.3. they can contact me for the base map.

Veritaz
12-13-2008, 10:22 AM
well, of course the 2.3 base map is just a map for people to start off with. but i'm just saying, if anyone want to buy ur kit for the 2.3. they can contact me for the base map.
yeah cool, thanks man.