PDA

View Full Version : installation help

Phil
01-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Hello everyone, im not too experienced with car audio and a friend of mine threw a 10'' sub and 700watt amp my way. He doesnt want them in his new car. Anyway, I need to keep my stock head unit, and its not a mono amp. Other than the obvious things i need to purchase like a rca adapter and wiring what other tips do you guys have for me to ensure my sub is going to pump hard. Also do i need to run a ground wire through thhe firewall into the engine?? (so im told) cant i just tie into the ground for the HU? any help is appreciated i'd like to do this myself it cant be that complicated; Just wondering the most efficient way to get some more bass into my system. sorry for sounding like a fool im just a noob wen it comes to audio

skunk2
01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
you'll need an amp wiring kit and LOC. try to get a 4ga kit if your budget allows just in case you want to upgrade the amp or add a second later.

depending on where you are mounting the amp, you can ground in that vicinity. lots of grounding spots in the trunk or if you place the amp under the front seat there's a few options there too. you can also run ground straight from your batt. but that's up to you.
you'll need more wire this way and the cost just goes up.

please don't ground your amp to the HU...not sufficient.
you run can your power thru the grommet behind the glove box.
do you have an enclosure for the sub already?

and research some more.....what you are trying to accomplish have been discussed many times.

Phil
01-06-2009, 02:22 AM
yea the sub is in a box. When u say grommet behind the glove box are u referring to the connection in the fuse box for the power for the bose amp that our cars have the option of getting? or is there something else. only grommet's i know are for making two wires meet lol there cant be one sittin inbehind the glovebox. I also dont feel very comfortable cutting wires from that little white harness behind the headunit. The car is a lease and I dont know how to connect those wires back into that harness.. is it even possible?

Phil
01-06-2009, 02:24 AM
**my bad>>> grommet .. im thinking of another word lol.. reading it is one thing. i need to see it/ find it. but thanks skunk

Phil
01-06-2009, 02:29 AM
oh i see u connect the LOC in series with that harness/wiring for the headunit.. ok. next question. must i connect the LOC with all the speaker's wiring? i'm only trying to put a sub and amp in... for some reason i can remember an old friend wiring his rca adapter right off his rear speakers to his amp. prob less power avail.?

Thrizzl3
01-06-2009, 08:12 AM
oh i see u connect the LOC in series with that harness/wiring for the headunit.. ok. next question. must i connect the LOC with all the speaker's wiring? i'm only trying to put a sub and amp in... for some reason i can remember an old friend wiring his rca adapter right off his rear speakers to his amp. prob less power avail.?

to connect the LOC just *tap*(use rear door wires: just cut off the outer skin of the wire but not the wires itself and then plug them into the LOC which will then give you an RCA connection).

Phil
01-06-2009, 12:32 PM
and that is the same thing as tapping into all those wires in that white harness behind the headunit? no benefit from doing it at the harness? one must have advantages over the other no?

forbidden
01-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Connect behind the factory radio as it is the least amount of work.

Phil
01-07-2009, 02:43 PM
im hesitant to make the connection behind the HU so i opend the panel between driver and rear door. (where the seat belt is) and found the feed with the harness going through to the door. Im guessing if i get the 2 speaker wires i can tie into those with my LOC correct? from what i've found they are White/Purple – left rear + and Gray/White – left rear – (rear speaker driver side) Is this correct?

forbidden
01-07-2009, 03:24 PM
If there is no hidden amp in the vehicle (aka Bose) then the amp is in the cd player in the dash. This makes connecting all the wires at one spot way less work. Did you check the wire colors from the pillar locations to the ones behind the cd player? Did you check them with a meter or are you "using the force"? I can check on the wiring colors for you as time allows.

Phil
01-08-2009, 12:00 PM
i gatherd my courage and installed my loc behind the headunit yesterday. my amp and sub are installed and bascially drown out the crappy stock speakers. thanks for the help guys