PDA

View Full Version : Possible new system...inputs anyone

mdass52
01-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Hey guys, Im thinking of redoing my system, going smaller to keep some space available. Let me know what you guys think. Right now I have 2 Pairs of lightning Audio 6 x 8 speakers in the front and rear doors, and 2 elemental design subs both (10). All of this is being run of my 5 channel amp. Im thinking of going to a component set in the front and replacing the rear two speakers with the kicker cvt65 subs. they are only 6.5 inches. Ill also be getting rid of my 5 channel and going with a 4 channel and bridge the last 2 channels to power the subs. each sub is rated at 150 rms. What do you guys think, should I change my setup or leave it as is.

VetalM3
01-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Hey guys, Im thinking of redoing my system, going smaller to keep some space available. Let me know what you guys think. Right now I have 2 Pairs of lightning Audio 6 x 8 speakers in the front and rear doors, and 2 elemental design subs both (10). All of this is being run of my 5 channel amp. Im thinking of going to a component set in the front and replacing the rear two speakers with the kicker cvt65 subs. they are only 6.5 inches. Ill also be getting rid of my 5 channel and going with a 4 channel and bridge the last 2 channels to power the subs. each sub is rated at 150 rms. What do you guys think, should I change my setup or leave it as is.

Do you want to redo your system only to save some space ? Or are you not happy with you sound ? If only for space - I would leave it as is.

Whosit
01-11-2009, 08:11 PM
How are you saving any space? It looks like you are only replacing an amp. If you subs are rated 150 rms then you will want something when bridged will give you 300 wrms. Why would you get rid of the 5 channel? Whats the ratings of you current amp? I am a huge believer in a separate amp fur your subs but thats just me. Take a look at my setup that I just finished.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=232627&l=5cb83&id=1252105243

Whosit
01-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Ok... I just re-read your post and realized you'd be getting rid of your subs. I think you will be disappointed. 6.5" subs? you won't get much out of those.

mdass52
01-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Do you want to redo your system only to save some space ? Or are you not happy with you sound ? If only for space - I would leave it as is.

Yep just for space. I was thinking last night to relocate either my subs or the rear door speakers to the rear deck. If I relocate my speakers to the rear deck, then I'll be putting the 6.5" subs in the doors with a reinforced adapter plate. Im kinda tired of carrying around the big box now.

mdass52
01-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Ok... I just re-read your post and realized you'd be getting rid of your subs. I think you will be disappointed. 6.5" subs? you won't get much out of those.

Well i've been doing some research on these subs, It's not bad from what I've read. I obviously won't be doing any spl competitions with these. I just want to fill in the bottom end. My amp right now is rated at 320 watts rms at 2 ohms. my 2 ed 10" subs I have right now are at 2 ohms. But at 4 ohms, its putting out around 200 watts I believe. The cvt65's come in either 2 or 4 ohms. So I'm debating on whether changing my amp or keeping it and getting the subs at 2 ohms.

mdass52
01-12-2009, 09:20 AM

Very nice and clean set up by the way, I just checked out the link you sent me. Im not going to be doing anything that big anymore. And I figure if the subs are inside the car, I won't need as much power to get the sound Im looking for, as oppose to having to get sound from the trunk to the interior. Im really thinking about putting the subs and putting the rear speakers in the rear deck.

VetalM3
01-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Very nice and clean set up by the way, I just checked out the link you sent me. Im not going to be doing anything that big anymore. And I figure if the subs are inside the car, I won't need as much power to get the sound Im looking for, as oppose to having to get sound from the trunk to the interior. Im really thinking about putting the subs and putting the rear speakers in the rear deck.

Is it possible to reinforce the rear deck and put your ED sub there ? or maybe 2 ? I wonder how they will sound tho, I believe better then 6.5" subs in the doors at least.

mdass52
01-12-2009, 06:06 PM
the specs says it's infinite baffle compatible, but im sure it lacks output if I mounted them in the rear deck

Flagrum_3
01-13-2009, 07:04 AM
I think the subs will be fine in the rear doors, probably give you a nice tight sound, especially with the 6.5" size....no spl type boom but a nice clean tight 'Practical bass'...But I would suggest getting a quality set of components in front and that's it!!, forget the other two speakers!....this set-up will give you much better 'image staging' by the way!
Anyways aslong as your amp, once bridged, will provide the proper rms wattage for your subs, why not keep it? Unless the amp itself is too large to hide.

Just my 2c

_3

mdass52
01-13-2009, 10:11 AM
I think the subs will be fine in the rear doors, probably give you a nice tight sound, especially with the 6.5" size....no spl type boom but a nice clean tight 'Practical bass'...But I would suggest getting a quality set of components in front and that's it!!, forget the other two speakers!....this set-up will give you much better 'image staging' by the way!
Anyways aslong as your amp, once bridged, will provide the proper rms wattage for your subs, why not keep it? Unless the amp itself is too large to hide.

Just my 2c

_3

Ron, you remember when I had it mounted? It was and still is mounted upside down on the roof of the rear deck. I do want to relocate it, but it is a big amp.

forbidden
01-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Better sound = upgrade the front speakers. To try and ask a pair of 6.5" woofers to reproduce bass, when mounted IB in the small leaky airspace of a door and hope to try and have it perform anywhere close to the 10's, well, it is a wish at best that will not come true. If you would like to retain your 5 channel, use the deck to power the rears (and add a set of 200hz caps to keep the damaging bottom end out of them), bridge the 4 channels to the new front components and then consider a single 8" sub in a proper slot port box. End result is way less space used up in the back and rock solid bass response IF the amp has the power on tap to drive a single 8" like the DD1508.

Hives
01-15-2009, 12:48 AM
I'd leave it. Too much work lolll

mdass52
01-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Better sound = upgrade the front speakers. To try and ask a pair of 6.5" woofers to reproduce bass, when mounted IB in the small leaky airspace of a door and hope to try and have it perform anywhere close to the 10's, well, it is a wish at best that will not come true. If you would like to retain your 5 channel, use the deck to power the rears (and add a set of 200hz caps to keep the damaging bottom end out of them), bridge the 4 channels to the new front components and then consider a single 8" sub in a proper slot port box. End result is way less space used up in the back and rock solid bass response IF the amp has the power on tap to drive a single 8" like the DD1508.

That's some solid Advice, I will definitely be going to components this spring/summer. im trying to build an all alphasonik system, excluding the deck of course. Alphasonik has some 6 x 8 components that im looking into. Thanks for your advice though

DARK3
01-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Smaller is better, i miss having some space in my trunk.

Flagrum_3
01-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Ron, you remember when I had it mounted? It was and still is mounted upside down on the roof of the rear deck. I do want to relocate it, but it is a big amp.

Yeah I remember! Didn't you say you were having heating issues with it mounted that way? If not I'd leave it there, it was actually a nice spot.

If your looking to keep your trunk completely clear I think the 2x 6.5 subs is a good idea and using them in the rear doors is fine you just have to get some sound insulation and seal the door.There's plenty of air space in the doors for that size of sub and your not going for boom right?...just fill, and it will be tighter base then using a ported box!....as long as your amp is supplying the proper RMS power.

I would suggest getting a good set of 6.5s components for the front as the round vs. oval design gives a more uniform sound, and that's not just my opinion, and putting the tweeters in the doors near the speakers, not in the stock positions (McGuyver has done his tweets in this way).

As I mentioned before forget the rear speakers (or atleast try it) and you'll see what I mean about 'Proper staging'.

_3

mdass52
01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah I remember! Didn't you say you were having heating issues with it mounted that way? If not I'd leave it there, it was actually a nice spot.

If your looking to keep your trunk completely clear I think the 2x 6.5 subs is a good idea and using them in the rear doors is fine you just have to get some sound insulation and seal the door.There's plenty of air space in the doors for that size of sub and your not going for boom right?...just fill, and it will be tighter base then using a ported box!....as long as your amp is supplying the proper RMS power.

I would suggest getting a good set of 6.5s components for the front as the round vs. oval design gives a more uniform sound, and that's not just my opinion, and putting the tweeters in the doors near the speakers, not in the stock positions (McGuyver has done his tweets in this way).

As I mentioned before forget the rear speakers (or atleast try it) and you'll see what I mean about 'Proper staging'.

_3

Yeah Ron, The amp was overheating a bit in the summer months. But I have 2 12 volt cooling fans I was going to mount on the other side of that board I have it mounted too. And yeah I was going for heavy, window rattling bass anymore, Ive gone through all that. I'll see what happens in the upcoming weeks. I still have my 2 ed 10's to put in a box, So i might just get a nice box for those and leave those 6.5 kickers, but they are definitely going to be in my m3 in the future, lol.