PDA

View Full Version : more telescoping from the steering wheel

froggy
01-15-2009, 08:01 PM
New to the Mazda 3 (only 250 km) and to the community (1st day) and I'm surprised at the lack of travel in the telescoping of the steering column. Is it just like that or are there shim kits or ways of extending it?

5_Alive
01-15-2009, 08:26 PM
I find mine reaches out quite some distance. Either you haven't pulled it all the way out or you have short arms? (no offense intended, honestly).
Welcome to the club btw..

kevcol74
01-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Welcome! First time I've heard someone complain about an extra that you usually don't find in this class of car!!

m_a_t_r_i_x
01-15-2009, 09:15 PM
pull/slide- in your seat towards the steering.

Fuman
01-15-2009, 09:57 PM
its fine for me.
Either you have short arms or really long legs.
not trying to be offensive or anything.
welcome to the club froggy

Jeff-TheBiz
01-15-2009, 10:01 PM
its fine for me.
Either you have short arms or really long legs.
not trying to be offensive or anything.
welcome to the club froggy

LMAO... I don't even think you meant to be funny with this post but really how many frogs do you know that don't have short arms and long legs...

:pop

Fuman
01-15-2009, 10:06 PM
LMAO... I don't even think you meant to be funny with this post but really how many frogs do you know that don't have short arms and long legs...

:pop
lol, i didn't even realize it until you said something

froggy
01-16-2009, 10:56 AM
well actually yeah my legs are pretty long for the rest of my body arms, with the steering wheel all the way out, I still have to have my legs scrunched up more than I'd like so I can reach the wheel and shift knob easily. but I guess say la vie.

mbd
01-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Heh, I'm the opposite. Normal arms with short legs. I bought the M3 because it actually telescopes IN further than most cars so I don't have to sit so close to the steering column with my arms all squished so my legs can reach the peddles. I drive manual so clutch reach is important.

Marsh
01-20-2009, 12:34 AM
You aren't abnormal at all. When any human gets taller their legs gain more length than their arms. The telescoping steering wheel isn't designed to help tall people be able to reach the wheel. It's to help the F@#$#@$ munchkin, shrimpy, pipsqueak, lilliputian, lollipop guild joining panty waists from getting killed by the airbag being too close. There should really be a minimum height rule for getting a driver's license.

Oh and another thing, DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW F!@#$@% BACK PAIN I GET WHEN I HAVE TO WASH DISHES IN SINK DESIGNED FOR YOU PUKES!?!?!

Walrus
01-20-2009, 08:16 AM
I agree - I thought finally, I have a car with a telescoping steering wheel so I don't have to cram my legs to reach the wheel. What a waste, it only extends out to where the steering wheel is on cars without the telescoping feature.

I need a car with a telescoping wheel and adjustable pedals.

1flycdnM3
01-20-2009, 09:26 AM
^^ Agreed!

Although i am tall (arms/legs) i havent had an issue with this, but i must admit it does take me a second to re-adjust my seat if/when anyone else gets in it. Just a matter of finding something that works for you, but i do admit having the wheel come out just a little further would be nice

froggy
01-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Woo hoo finally some redemption and agreement, i no longer feel like a freak lol. oh and btw I'm in the proccess of getting my plastic steering wheel custom covered (including the 3 protrusions where the rim attaches to the hub) I'll let you know how much it cost and how it looks. To that end does anyone know where I can get a mazda 3 steering wheel to use as a template, I don't want to have to take mine off to many times just to get it fitted.

mazda lover
01-22-2009, 08:04 PM
I have no problem, I am 6 feet and have the steering wheel all the way up and tilted up, just right for me, my wife is shorter, won't say how short but its the Mutt and Jeff look
I have the seat all the way back while the wife has the wheel all the way in and tilted down and seat forward and she has no problem...

Giaro
03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
You aren't abnormal at all. When any human gets taller their legs gain more length than their arms. The telescoping steering wheel isn't designed to help tall people be able to reach the wheel. It's to help the F@#$#@$ munchkin, shrimpy, pipsqueak, lilliputian, lollipop guild joining panty waists from getting killed by the airbag being too close. There should really be a minimum height rule for getting a driver's license.

Oh and another thing, DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW F!@#$@% BACK PAIN I GET WHEN I HAVE TO WASH DISHES IN SINK DESIGNED FOR YOU PUKES!?!?!

I'm glad that we can actually choose how we are born... it's good to see that people are so welcoming and understanding of peoples challenges...

Fobio
03-09-2009, 02:21 AM
lol...good ol' Marsh...he's like my Uncle Archie Bunker...

funny thing is he insists on burning rubber in a Miata of all cars...:loco

:chuckle

Newlook
03-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Height, length of our arms and legs can be a problem.... Don't forget we all have different driving habits. Some people are 6ft and they sit straight up, some like to lay down (gangster style).... sometimes I sit in my friend's car I found the steering wheel is too far away (and he's shorter than me), cuz the back of his seat is like all the way down.

Our steering wheel actually tilts quite far back.... you should try the Focus.... you'd appreciate the 3 a lot more! lol

c_del
03-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Woo hoo finally some redemption and agreement, i no longer feel like a freak lol. oh and btw I'm in the proccess of getting my plastic steering wheel custom covered (including the 3 protrusions where the rim attaches to the hub) I'll let you know how much it cost and how it looks. To that end does anyone know where I can get a mazda 3 steering wheel to use as a template, I don't want to have to take mine off to many times just to get it fitted.
Let me know how that goes, I have been wanting to do the same in some leather or suede or alcantara or something (:chuckle).....where are you getting this done?

froggy
03-14-2009, 02:02 AM
little 1 room upholstery shop, we're actually getting our sofas re-upholstered there and he's going to wrap my wheel with what's left over, i'm just waiting for the weather to get nicer so I can take my motorcycle out and have the 3 out of commission for few days ( got to take the steering wheel off to do this)