PDA

View Full Version : 2009 is here and I'm ready to burn rubber, waste brake pad, and make racing noises

bhrm
01-23-2009, 03:08 PM
This is the year I start.

My plans are to auto-x 2-3 times this year and one lapping event. I have very little experience, been on the Shannonville full track in an automatic heavy pig mk4 Jetta VR6 in heavy rain.

Here's my car's racing setup:
stock
stock tires with this summer as its last season

That is all.

What's everyone plan and outlook for 2009? Any events I should consider with my awesome racing setup?

Dave_The_BMXER
01-23-2009, 04:25 PM
I want to hit up some Auto X's this year, just have no idea which ones to do. I want to do the 1 event ones not a series as I often have commitments on weekends.

I am way to scared for track days.

condor888000
01-23-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm planning on doing every local event this year(should be 10), and am debating going to some of the CADL events in Montreal and maybe a couple of St Lac events depending on how the summer goes.

Hopefully. Can't wait for summer to get here. :bana2

bhrm
01-23-2009, 10:27 PM
I want to hit up some Auto X's this year, just have no idea which ones to do. I want to do the 1 event ones not a series as I often have commitments on weekends.

I am way to scared for track days.

i've observed and rode shot gun at a few track days, biggest thing is going with a legit club with legit people and not a track day with rich kids who have nothing to lose and no clue what to do other than applying GranTurismo 4 skills into real world physics.

Fuman
01-23-2009, 11:14 PM
i've observed and rode shot gun at a few track days, biggest thing is going with a legit club with legit people and not a track day with rich kids who have nothing to lose and no clue what to do other than applying GranTurismo 4 skills into real world physics.
BHRM is VERY VERY Correct. You are putting yourself in danger.
I went with my friend who said it is going to be very organized, not the case.
I almost crashed because of the difference in skill levels.

If you DO go to an event like BHRM mention, go to a track where it is level, so you can see ahead.

Marsh
01-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Also if you go with an uninsured, unsanctioned group (as most of them these days are) then you somebody else gets hurt because of you then you'll be sued and you insurance will refuse to pay. You will be penniless for the rest of your life.

If you attend a lapping day hosted by a CASC/ASN sanctioned club then they will have insurance that covers ALL the participants for liabillity.

MAZDA Kitten
01-25-2009, 11:12 PM
good to know!

Dave_The_BMXER
01-26-2009, 09:28 AM
I'd still rather drive someone else's car around the track :)

Or get a track rat.

bhrm
01-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Also if you go with an uninsured, unsanctioned group (as most of them these days are) then you somebody else gets hurt because of you then you'll be sued and you insurance will refuse to pay. You will be penniless for the rest of your life.

If you attend a lapping day hosted by a CASC/ASN sanctioned club then they will have insurance that covers ALL the participants for liabillity.

A good indicator is if the track even is $70 half day, $150 whole day....too cheap. Won't have on site ambulance/paramedic, fire, tow. Or rules.

I'm surprised tracks would let them but I guess money is money.

I'm more surprised nothing extremely bad happened yet knock on wood, but then tracks like shannonville and dunnville are relatively safe, less walls.

Fobio
01-26-2009, 11:03 AM
A good indicator is if the track even is $70 half day, $150 whole day....too cheap. Won't have on site ambulance/paramedic, fire, tow. Or rules.

I'm surprised tracks would let them but I guess money is money.

I'm more surprised nothing extremely bad happened yet knock on wood, but then tracks like shannonville and dunnville are relatively safe, less walls.

so how much is safe enough?

There's a big difference between tracks like Dunnville and Mosport DDT, vs Shannonville and Cayuga, vs Mosport GP and Calabogie...

you have to be really stupid to wreck yourself at Dunnville and DDT, the track's top speeds are relatively low and chances of screwing up royally is also low, but not impossible!

Shannonville and Cayuga, with the long straights and sharp turns after the straights, it's possible to flip a car...

Mosport GP and Calabogie can kill you...

so unless you're going to Mosport GP on your first time out, I wouldn't classify a $150 track day @ DDT with TPC/Ian Law unsafe...but I wouldn't call a Mosport GP full day @ $150, w/ no instruction/safety crew a deal either...

From my experience, and I'm just out there to have fun, it's all about the ppl you're tracking with...I'm sure there's plenty of you's out there, that I wouldn't get on a track with even if you paid me...lol...

bhrm
01-26-2009, 03:10 PM
when i say relatively say 'safe', relative to Mosport GP which can kill you at turn 3 (the downhill straight into a quick 90 degree left, tirewall there to welcome you)

mleblond
01-26-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm planning on doing every local event this year(should be 10), and am debating going to some of the CADL events in Montreal and maybe a couple of St Lac events depending on how the summer goes.

Hopefully. Can't wait for summer to get here. :bana2

I take part of all 10 auto-x St-lac events. As for lapping I intend to do all 4-5 CSCS events at Cayuga.

silvermist99
01-26-2009, 04:33 PM
going to try for a couple autocrosses & 1 or 2 lapping. Don't think I will have too much time avaliable this summer.

condor888000
01-26-2009, 04:42 PM
I take part of all 10 auto-x St-lac events. As for lapping I intend to do all 4-5 CSCS events at Cayuga.

Do you know about how long the average course is there? Or how many runs you normally get?

Just trying to figure out if the 2.5hr drive one way is gonna be worth it.

Fobio
01-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Do you know about how long the average course is there? Or how many runs you normally get?

Just trying to figure out if the 2.5hr drive one way is gonna be worth it.

what I find most frustrating and difficult about auto-x the relatively short-runs of about 1 min each, and limited number of runs for the day, at most 8...

condor888000
01-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Yeah, but it's a lot cheaper and safer than lapping or Solo I.

bhrm
01-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Yeah, but it's a lot cheaper and safer than lapping or Solo I.

Cheaper?

$20-30 for 8 minutes
or
$150-200 for full day 6-8 hours.

Safer yes unless you get hit in the eye with a pylon.

Fobio
01-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Also, from experience, bigger tracks are better on your car for wear and tear than the smaller tracks...

I can kill a set of tires @ Dunnville in 1 day...

At Mosport GP, you get better mileage, less tire wear and better braking performance: wider turns, less braking to a near stop (30 - 40km/h), less accelerating from near stop and more time/track for your brakes to recover...

So at the end of the day, a $300 track day @ Mosport GP may end up costing you about as much overall as a $150 day @ Dunnville, all things being equal...but of course, it's the higher risk you have to deal with for the higher amount of fun...

Then again, we don't do this for money or the lack thereof... =)

condor888000
01-27-2009, 03:20 PM
$20-30 for 8 minutes
or
$150-200 for full day 6-8 hours.

So ~10 times the price for a day....yeah, you get more seat time, but you have to put up a lot more initially. That's what I meant.

I'd love to get out on a track one day, but I simply don't have the sort of disposable income needed to track the car at this point in my life.

bhrm
01-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Also, from experience, bigger tracks are better on your car for wear and tear than the smaller tracks...

I can kill a set of tires @ Dunnville in 1 day...

At Mosport GP, you get better mileage, less tire wear and better braking performance: wider turns, less braking to a near stop (30 - 40km/h), less accelerating from near stop and more time/track for your brakes to recover...

So at the end of the day, a $300 track day @ Mosport GP may end up costing you about as much overall as a $150 day @ Dunnville, all things being equal...but of course, it's the higher risk you have to deal with for the higher amount of fun...

Then again, we don't do this for money or the lack thereof... =)

Another way to put it is, before even thinking of Mosport GP, one must invest time and money to learn track handling.

However I would sooooo do Mosport GP in a small go kart though :)