PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question?

Tsirpas
02-24-2009, 02:39 AM
If I were to purchase a Mazdaspeed 3 Turbo (Entire kit), would it be possible/plausible to install it on my Mazda 3 engine? (2.3L)?

Just outta curiosity...

yearoftherat
02-24-2009, 06:30 AM
Anything is possible if you have the time and money to put into a project like this.

Cardinal Fang
02-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Just remember that if you buy the turbo kit you need to upgrade some of the internals of the engine. Our cars were never designed to run turbos without upgrades. Here is a good read from one of the members that put a turbo kit on his car:

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19650

Donutz
02-24-2009, 12:14 PM
I would suggest searching this topic on m3f as it has been covered at great length there.

The kit might not fit between the engine and fire wall, possibly requiring modification of the fire wall; I'm not sure that a tmic will fit under an NA hood; there is risk of blowing a rod; there is risk of blowing 3rd and 4th gears (although ppl are boosting without these problems, others have blown up from them); if you go for fmic you may need a new bumper. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Oh, and the cost for all of this? That's another story. If you want to boost for the sake of saying you built it, then mad props to you. I would love to do this build, but honestly I'd rather just by a different car. Mmm... Subbie 265 here I come!

tweak_s
02-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Hmm just wondering out of curiosity, why specifically the mazdaspeed 3 kit?

Donutz
02-24-2009, 04:32 PM
^^ x2. While you could probably source all of the mazdaspeed parts at a resonable price, you'll still need some kind of engine management (I'm assuming you can't just plug in the mazdaspeed ECU/software). I would suggest going for a kit that includes everything.

I didn't check the link above, but I assume it's to John's thread about boosting; there's good info there.

Hives
02-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Yikes! I'd stick with N/A power lolll.

Donutz
02-24-2009, 09:56 PM
NA or bolt ons? NA is starting to pick up. On m3f there is a group of people testing out an EMS. If they are successful, you could see some high revving high compression NA 3's on the road. Imagine a 3 scream by at 7500+ rpm!

Malcolm991
02-25-2009, 05:48 AM
I would think you are better off buying the Speed3! I can see nothing but headaches!

Cosmo77
02-25-2009, 09:13 PM
I would have to agree....the purchase of a speed3 is far easier, and probably cheaper in the long run. Not to mention resale value will be the pits. If you were to ever try to seel it with the turbo on it you would never get the money back that you invested.

Its a valid question, but there are two many variables and things that I don;t think you are thinking about here.

1. PCM-or at least some sort or fuel managment piggy back system
2. Intake: Manifold, ducting, intercooler etc etc
3. The Turbo kit
4. The vehile harness.
5. Fuel: pump,rail,injectors
6. Oil delivery to the turbo, and return to the sump
7. Time and lots of it.
8. And this is for if your gonna do it right...driveline: dual mass flywheel, clutch, axles, tranny etc etc

It would probably be easier with a Speed. Some of them are starting to show up used on lots and some are even coming back in from lease now

Good luck

Cosmo

Veritaz
02-26-2009, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE=Jason;391143]^^ x2. While you could probably source all of the mazdaspeed parts at a resonable price, you'll still need some kind of engine management (I'm assuming you can't just plug in the mazdaspeed ECU/software). I would suggest going for a kit that includes everything.
[QUOTE]

You definatly cannot just slap on all the mazdaspeed parts, especially ecu. Mazda speed is a disi turbo 2.3l which has a completly different engine control system.

sell your current 3 and just buy a mazdaspeed3, it is much less of a pain in the arse. Trust me I know I have a custom boosted mz3. If you really want to boost your current car there are pleanty of complete aftermarket solutions now. Depending on your final goals this may be an option... If you just want 250whp type performance get a mazdaspeed3 and add a couple bolt ons. If you want insane 400whp+ performance then your much better off going aftermarket kit.