PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... 2005 vs 2008?

mazdabetty
03-02-2009, 06:02 PM
So after missing an entire side of my car when I brought it in to get the rust fixed up, my dealership kindly agreed to pay for a rental car for me to get around in while they finish the job over the next 4 days.

I'm noticing major differences in the overall feel between my '05 and this '08 they gave me.

I had noticed a long time ago that mine would jump a little before going into 2nd (automatic by the way), but brushed it off and figured this was normal. But I can't feel a thing when the '08 changes gears. I also noticed that if I step on the gas, my car will hesitate slightly then jump into it's gear then take off, but this one seems to just go, no hesitation, it's completely smooth.

Is this just a matter of new car vs old car? Or is this something that I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance!! :bana2

Krakor
03-02-2009, 06:14 PM
I had a 2005 Sport GT and that jump into 2nd gear is fixed by a firmware upgrade. You should get that checked. It really jerked going to 2nd in my automatic.

I also noticed the difference when pressing the gas pedal. Feels like it is more in sync with the pedal now vs the 2005.

Listen for all the noises we have been experiencing.

Let me know if you hear anything.

I can't tell one noise from another in my car. They all seem to act up at the same time!

Windshield, glove box and passenger door.

Crazy. I should have kept my 2005.

mazdabetty
03-02-2009, 06:23 PM
I also noticed the difference when pressing the gas pedal. Feels like it is more in sync with the pedal now vs the 2005.

Yaaaa totally! That's exactly what I mean, the new one just seems to go with it when I press the gas... I almost feel guilty hitting the gas hard on mine cuz it sounds like it's struggling :( lol

All the other noises sound the same, the sound of the engine, the weird really quiet but high pitched noise that you can only hear if the music is off, no problems there. It's definitely a quiet car, no rattles or shakes. I think the only other thing that's different is my car has a harder time starting, especially in the cold. But I don't think that's too much of an issue, or is there some kind of upgrade for that too?

So this firmware upgrade then, is this covered under warranty? I'm assuming you had this fixed on your '05?

Krakor
03-02-2009, 07:32 PM
The firmware was covered for mine but that was a year or 2 back. Not sure about now.

I have the 2008.5 and i can hear all kinds of rattles.

I also found my 2005 had a bit of a... hard to explain... but a kick when starting.

The new one is smoother when starting.

mazdabetty
03-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Hmm alright, thanks for the info, I think I'll talk to them when I pick up the car this week...

Oh and sorry to hear about all those shakes and rattles, sucks to hear that... but at least your driving experience is much more enjoyable, aside from all the sounds! (Thank goodness for loud music!!!?) lol

TokyoKiller
03-02-2009, 09:23 PM
I can vouch and say that the 2007 + models are a lot more responsive than the 2004 to 2006 models.

Having test driven a few and having rentals, I can say that...but I have only owned an '09, and I am currently looking at an '07 GT to replace my '09 GS (totaled).

froggy
03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
the weird really quiet but high pitched noise that you can only hear if the music is off

I have a new 08 mazda and I was concerned about that same thing too it turns out that it is the electric powersteering pump, and that is just how it is. so don't worry about that one lol the other funny noises i'm not to sure

mazdabetty
03-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Oh yeah those little running noises I'm not worried about cuz I know they all have them. It's my 05 that's super quiet, although I have yet to hear this rattling and shaking coming from the 08, as many people have complained about.

Glad to hear it's not just my car though. Still love it regardless!!!!!!!!!!!