PDA

View Full Version : How to remove side skirts?

Whosit
03-26-2009, 08:14 PM
I did a search and can't really come up with and answer. Anyone know how to remove the OEM side skirts?

Hives
03-26-2009, 08:18 PM
If your not a member to that website, the instruction manual would not show up. Sign up if your not. This is the instructions for putting them on, but I guess u can work backwards and easily figure it out. Hope it helps you out:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=86421.0

Why you removing it for?

Whosit
03-26-2009, 08:19 PM
If your not a member to that website, the instruction manual would not show up. Sign up if your not. This is the instructions for putting them on, but I guess u can work backwards and easily figure it out. Hope it helps you out:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=86421.0

Why you removing it for?

I am getting some rust repaired and wanted to see what condition the rockers underneath them are in. They also need repainting and was going to bring them in to be repainted.

Hives
03-26-2009, 08:25 PM
I am getting some rust repaired and wanted to see what condition the rockers underneath them are in. They also need repainting and was going to bring them in to be repainted.

Ohhhh. I need to get mines repaired as well. Actually, just somehow fitted. The passenger side one popped off a bit, and 3 clips broke along with 2 of the brackets moulded onto the skirt itself. I fish tailed during winter and hit the corner of a curb:flaming

I got replacement clips, buh I decided to just go get it repaired b/c of the brackets and painted professionally one time b/c I have other parts that need to get painted as well.

gabbygenier
04-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Old thread yes but the writeup on M3F dosent seem to work anymore.

anyone done this, do you just have to pretty much break the clips and it comes off??

Dave_The_BMXER
04-21-2011, 11:40 AM
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=150349.0

Install instructions but it lets you know where the clips are.

DO NOT BREAK THE CLIPS ON THE SKIRT ITSELF.

gabbygenier
04-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks

i actually just found this too.

ill make sure not to break the ones on the skirt. couldnt care less about the ones that hold it onto the car though, they are like 10 cents each

McGuyver_3
04-22-2011, 02:07 PM
The skirts hold on relatively well. Be gentle with them, and if you have any plastic trim panel tools I recomend you use those to pry up to not damage the paint or the skirt then simply get a long screw driver and pop the clips out. Its hard to explain but i hope that is somewhat understandable

gabbygenier
04-22-2011, 02:29 PM
I understand what you mean. I was thinking getting a chisel type thing to get the clips off the paint in order not to break the skirt.

My worry is more breaking the skirt then the paint. I didn't realize there was so many clips holding it on till I saw the pic. If I scratch the paint it's not that bad. I'll just sand it a bit and use the paint pen to cover it up. The skirts are going back on so theyll cover the imperfections. I just want to repaint the skirts since they are full of rock chips.

Thanks for the tips Dan!!

SonicBoy
04-22-2011, 04:50 PM
The skirts are made to break away when they are impacted. The brackets are scored to break so be really carefully. The clips are generally slid into the bracket on the inside of the skirt and then pushed into the holes locking them in place.

You may be able to pry but it might be better to try and slide the clip from the bracket and then go back and remove the clips from the holes.

Good luck and don't rush it.