PDA

View Full Version : Plastic cargo/tool tray into a MS3

-cj-
04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey gang,

I purchased a plastic tool tray for my MS3 the other day (Thanks Joe!) and made the necessary "mods" to get it to fit -- The spare tire sits on top of a foam pad --- That had to go. The spare tire is still too large and the tray kind of rocks back and forth on the spare. This is probably the reason Mazda removed the tray from the MS3's...

I'm going to try removing my spare and see if it will become flush. If it does, I'll probably find a smaller spare and go with a thicker sidewall or something.

Has anyone made this 'modification' (if you can call it that) to their MS3? The panels fit and I suspect if I remove the spare it'll fit properly... Right now everthing sort of moves around a little (It isn't bad enough to the point where I'd reconsider the mod, but it isn't perfect).

On the regular 3's, does the tray attach to anything, or is it just sitting there?

insaini
04-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't believe its attached to anything... If I remember.. It just sits there and u can just lift the trays out....

Not 100% sure though

kevcol74
04-07-2009, 04:58 PM
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they put the smallest rim/tire in there that they could. Sure, you could fit one of the GT rims in, but I don't think it will clear your calipers.... Sounds like its close, can't alter just a bit more to keep your original spare in there?

EvilEric
04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Got a picture of the tray you can attach?

-cj-
04-07-2009, 05:28 PM
I'll try to take some pics later tonight if the weather permits.

Kev: You might be onto something about modifying the tray... It just looks very thin as it is tho! Not sure where I could trim... I'll have to take a closer look. Unfortunately the weather is making it difficult!

zeron
04-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Do you have a picture of this cargo tray? I am looking to get one as well (for my 09 hatchback).