PDA

View Full Version : adding keyless entry

victor_t
04-11-2009, 01:20 PM
has anyone done this?

I'm not talking about adding power door locks, but adding the OEM remote keyless entry to a car that already has power doors.

after seeing the detailed posts describing how to add cruise control I want to also add the remote keyless entry to my car but I didn't find any threads that would describe how it's done (what to remove, where to plug the module)

kcmazda
04-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Some cars you can get the keyless entry fabs and program them unless if you have a GX with power door lock it will not work....does not work on GX models...

victor_t
04-12-2009, 08:40 AM
yes, I know.

I'm talking about adding the keyless entry module to a GX with power door locks.

CoreySprung
04-12-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm talking about adding the keyless entry module to a GX with power door locks.

Your best option maybe to get an aftermarket alarm system, and have that control your power locks. in the long run it will cost you less and serve 2 jobs.

bluemazda3
04-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Your best option maybe to get an aftermarket alarm system, and have that control your power locks. in the long run it will cost you less and serve 2 jobs.

+1 makes sense

FLIPDADY
04-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Noisy Crow where you at? I'm sure Rick can look into this for you.

Noisy Crow
04-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Noisy Crow where you at? I'm sure Rick can look into this for you.

Ha! Been busy this weekend! :)

Hardware wise, I believe the only requirement would be adding the keyless control module, which sits up under the headliner. Everything else is handled by the PJB computer. Given the experience with cruise control (i.e. plug the hardware in and it works), I'd wager that adding the keyless module (and a remote fob) would be enough. Flip, if you could check if there is any difference between the GT and GX PJBs (one way to tell: the as-built p/n, but not the replacement part p/n) that would let us know right away.

That said: I victor_t: are you driving an auto or manual? Because if you really want "OEM" it would probably be much more cost effective to put in a Mazda remote starter... which includes keyless entry. Only made for automatics though. And as already noted, there are lots of good third-part options as well....

victor_t
04-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm driving a manual.

basically I'd like to know if anyone made any instructions on how to remove trim/add the module, like we have for adding the cruise control.

what's the headliner? :)

CoreySprung
04-12-2009, 01:48 PM

The inner part of the roof,

Noisy Crow
04-12-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm driving a manual.

basically I'd like to know if anyone made any instructions on how to remove trim/add the module, like we have for adding the cruise control.

I've got the 2008 repair and wiring manuals. I will have a look.....

Okay:
1. Disconnect the battery cable
2. Remove the map light
3. Disconnect the keyless control module connnector
4. Remove the screw, then remove the keyless control module
5. Install in the reverse order of removal
6. When replacing the keyless control module register the transmitter ID codes

Simple enough! In fact simple enough that you may be able to persuade someone to lend your their module as a test.....

victor_t
04-12-2009, 08:09 PM
by map light, do they mean the light which is in the middle of the roof (behind and between passenger's and driver's heads) ?

Noisy Crow
04-12-2009, 08:17 PM
by map light, do they mean the light which is in the middle of the roof (behind and between passenger's and driver's heads) ?

No, the one near the windshield. If you don't have maplights, well, then the only way to the connector for the keyless is probably to drop the headliner. And of course there is no guarantee the connector is up there... although it seems likely. You might be able to could use a mirror and a flash light to peek around the edge of the headliner...

victor_t
04-13-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't have the map lights...

but I have a different problem.
I have a service manual which I found (in HTML form) through a link on torontomazda3.

in that service manual it says the keyless control module is in the dash

. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the front scuff plate (Driver's side) (See FRONT SCUFF PLATE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
3. Remove the front side trim. (Driver's side) (See FRONT SIDE TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
4. Remove the glove compartment. (See GLOVE COMPARTMENT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
5. Pull the keyless control module in the direction of the arrow while pushing the tab and remove the module from the bracket.
6. Disconnect the keyless control module connector.
7. Remove the keyless control module.
8. Install in the reverse order of removal.
9. When replacing the keyless control module, register the transmitter ID codes. (See TRANSMITTER ID CODE REGISTRATION.)

so now my question is, how can I make sure the service manual I have is right for my car? (Canadian 2007 mazda 3 GX )

Noisy Crow
04-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Post up the link to the manual you are looking at... but at a guess I think my manual would be a better match for your car... there were several things changed on the 3 in '07, and '08s are bascially the same ('08.5s did add some features).

victor_t
04-13-2009, 12:00 PM
one is this
http://torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=279045

the other was a link to an australian website which contained basically the same manual.

is your manual electronic or paper?

Noisy Crow
04-13-2009, 12:14 PM
My manual is paper... official North American Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 repair manual.

BTW, I can check again, don't have the manual right here, but we can easily look for the PJB end of the wires from the keyless module... which would at least let you know that the harness is in place.

victor_t
04-13-2009, 12:17 PM
I will try to remove the front end of the headliner and see what's behind it.

I definitely have a square space in the middle of the headliner, above the windshield, which could house something and in addition, in the manual I have, in the section that deals with the removal of the headliner, they show the internal structure of the roof and show wiring that goes to this place.

Noisy Crow
04-13-2009, 12:58 PM
I will try to remove the front end of the headliner and see what's behind it.

I definitely have a square space in the middle of the headliner, above the windshield, which could house something and in addition, in the manual I have, in the section that deals with the removal of the headliner, they show the internal structure of the roof and show wiring that goes to this place.

I would check at the PJB first... but it's up to you :)

victor_t
04-13-2009, 02:17 PM
sorry, I missed the significance of your statement.

what is the PJB? is it some junction box in the engine compartment?

victor_t
04-13-2009, 02:26 PM
ok, I found out what the PJB is :)

silly question, if the PJB is really the car's computer/control system, why do they call it a junction box?

Noisy Crow
04-13-2009, 04:23 PM
ok, I found out what the PJB is :)

silly question, if the PJB is really the car's computer/control system, why do they call it a junction box?

Because almost all of the car's wiring runs through it!

Okay, you are going to have to find a picture of the PJB connectors... I know there is one or two posted on TM3 somewhere.

The keyless control module connects to the PJB at three points:
J-04 Pin F, White wire
J-05 Pin AL, Purple wire with Black stripe
J-05 Pin S, Orange wire with Blue stripe

Of the three, only J-04 Pin S is owned entirely by the control module... the other ones are also used for power the map lights and for the sunroof.

J-04 is the long connector at the left edge of the PJB, on top of it where the fuses are. Pin F is on the right-hand side of the connector, third pin from the top. (Orientation based on unlatching the front of the PJB and letting it pivot down).

xxlinktothepastx
04-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Sorry to revive an older post.
I'm doing the same thing here basically the other difference is I added OEM power locks and windows to my car. I just have a few questions. Is my job as easy as installing a module/remote and everything works or is it more complicated then that?

Also, I was looking at the PJB on my car and found the J-04 F wire and the J-05 S wire but not the sunroof one (since I dont have a sunroof). Will the module still work without the J-05 AL wire?

StUpId8000
07-10-2016, 02:33 PM
I got a 2009 3 and I just added OEM power windows, locks and mirrors, work great and easy to do. I wanted to try the OEM keyless now. Has anyone done this to completion? I see post on all the 3 forums about this and that but never see any post of "YaY, I got it working"