PDA

View Full Version : Oil Dipstick Level

MRT_MS3
05-14-2009, 11:59 AM
I know this question had been asked a lot and Ive tried the search button. I just came from the Dealer to get my cars 2nd oil change service. I got home, parked the car on leveled ground, waited 10mins til the oil settles and checked the dipstick. Its up quite a bit from the full mark. I figured Mazda used the same dipstick as the regular 2.3 engines but I know for a fact that our MS3 takes more oil than the regular 2.3 . Is this too much oil? Should I bring it back and have them take some of it out?

Fobio
05-14-2009, 12:03 PM
considering what we've been discussing, oil overfill could be potentially dangerous. nothing to panic about but I'd take it in and have them have a look at the dipstick...even if all it does is give you the peace of mind.

Mazda3X2
05-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I change my own oil and found the following;

I put in the recommended 6 quarts with filter change for the MS3.

When I check the oil cold and first pull the dip stick, it reads slightly high. If I then wipe it and check again it is at the perfect level. I can't explain why this is but I do know that the crankcase has the proper amount of oil becuase I put it there.

MRT_MS3
05-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Man I really should start changing my own oil. I'm just scared about the warranty.

I will probably drain some of it out just to be in the safe side. I have feeling they overfilled it by a litre. Its quite high from the MAX mark. I'd say close to 1/2 inch.
Then again when I was checking it, the engine was hot. Maybe I'll wait til it cools down and check again.

stormin84
05-14-2009, 06:59 PM
maybe take a picture of it, then we can really tell you if it is high or not,

i know when i check my oil somedays its high and other days it right on the mark.

distr0
05-14-2009, 07:04 PM
what i would do is when you come to a stop on level ground. the first check is probably off since the oil is swishing in the oil pan so it could splatter higher on the stick. so pull it out the first time, wipe it, then put it back in, then pull out again. That should be the actual level your oil is at.

SL3VIN
05-14-2009, 08:24 PM
I have a 2.3 m3 and i've noticed that the oil always exceeds the dipstick level by quite a bit....

mazda lover
05-14-2009, 08:24 PM
I change my own oil and found the following;

I put in the recommended 6 quarts with filter change for the MS3.

When I check the oil cold and first pull the dip stick, it reads slightly high. If I then wipe it and check again it is at the perfect level. I can't explain why this is but I do know that the crankcase has the proper amount of oil becuase I put it there.

where do you buy your oil in quarts?

Mazda3X2
05-14-2009, 09:02 PM
where do you buy your oil in quarts?

It's Royal Purple 5W30 and comes in quarts. Kind of a little rip off.

MRT_MS3
05-07-2010, 11:50 AM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj231/SpdFreak1/Mazdaspeed3/FSM/OilChange6qt.jpg

Sorry for bringing up this topic again but its been bugging me ever since...

When you guys check your dipstick, does it read right at the "MAX" line or it reaches the word MAX? I've been to 4 oil changes with the dealership and I've been reading my dipstick way above the MAX line. The oil actually covers the word MAX on the dipstick. Is this too much oil?