PDA

View Full Version : Straight Pipe

Soyabean
06-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a straight pipe for my exhaust. I currently have a borla cbe. So if i buy the straight pipe (it is in place where the cat is), would i need to cut the cat off or can it simply be taken off by bolts or flanges?

Also, with a straight pipe, I know it will be louder but will it be significantly louder? and will i run into any problems when testing for emissions? I heard something somewhere about how it might not pass emissions with a straight pipe or something

Thanks

Dave_The_BMXER
06-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Mazda3's have a cat and a pre cat right? Are you proposing removing both cats?

Donutz
06-11-2009, 02:18 PM
If its just a test pipe only the secondary cat will be eliminated.

In terms of the install, I believe the upstream end of the cat has a flange; and the downstream end fits over the cbe. That said, you should be able to unbolt the flange and pull the cat down, then forward and it will pull off. You'll likely need a torch to heat up the downstream end of the pipe to pull the cat off of your cbe though. Btw, if its in your budget, and you plan to switch from the test pipe to cat more than a couple of times I would suggest getting flanges installed on the upstream end of your cbe and downstream end of the race pipe. The flanges make it so easy to swap out.

It will be louder, but how loud for your liking is qualitative and can't be defined by someone else. I say go for it and if you don't like it sell it to me! Also, any time you mess with your cats you run the risk of failing emissions. One thing in your favour is that you would still have your primary cat, and its rumoured that we have fairly strong cats on our cars.

Btw, nice choice for a mod. The is probably one of the most cost effective power adding mods you can do.

doughboyr6
06-11-2009, 05:42 PM
i have a straight pipe sitting in my room for over 1 year now....its going on a borla CBE also....i'll be putting it in this summer when i get around to it....

$100 for 10 WHP....thats as good as it gets...